Around the NFL

Forge

Shane Ray's 5th year option not getting picked up, and Denver looks like they will let Shaq Barrett become an unrestricted free agent, as well. Looks like the 2019 free agent class at EDGE/SAM might have some life to it. My guess is that those are the positions the 49ers go after with the financial flexibility they still have.

1 hour ago, N4L said:

Two words: Khalil Mack 

Are you saying we should go after him? Unless Gruden has as much control as it seems and has completely lost his mind, Mack will be a Raider for a little long time.

42 minutes ago, Gore Whore 21 said:

Are you saying we should go after him? Unless Gruden has as much control as it seems and has completely lost his mind, Mack will be a Raider for a little long time.

Yes, that is exactly what I am saying. It was a response to @Ronnie's Pinky talking about the upcoming edge players on the market. They might not have the money to pay the guy, not just from a cap space standpoint, but from an actual cash standpoint. The raiders payroll is set up a little differently than most teams, I forget exactly how but I know they do things differently because Mark Davis isn't as wealthy as other owners. Maybe @Forge will be able to elaborate

They say he turned down 100 million because he wanted 110. I think he wanted a different structure than what the raiders were offering. Not sure if that makes us more or less likely to sign him lol

6 minutes ago, N4L said:

Yes, that is exactly what I am saying. It was a response to @Ronnie's Pinky talking about the upcoming edge players on the market. They might not have the money to pay the guy, not just from a cap space standpoint, but from an actual cash standpoint. The raiders payroll is set up a little differently than most teams, I forget exactly how but I know they do things differently because Mark Davis isn't as wealthy as other owners. Maybe @Forge will be able to elaborate

They say he turned down 100 million because he wanted 110. I think he wanted a different structure than what the raiders were offering. Not sure if that makes us more or less likely to sign him lol

Hadn’t heard any of that. I still think they’d be cutting a number of other players to make room financially before letting Mack walk.

2 hours ago, Ronnie's Pinky said:

Shane Ray's 5th year option not getting picked up, and Denver looks like they will let Shaq Barrett become an unrestricted free agent, as well. Looks like the 2019 free agent class at EDGE/SAM might have some life to it. My guess is that those are the positions the 49ers go after with the financial flexibility they still have.

I was just about to mention Shane Ray when I noticed they didn't pick up his 5th year option and of course with the selection of Chubb I would imagine, he's on the way out. Could he possibly play LEO for us? 

32 minutes ago, StevenK said:

I was just about to mention Shane Ray when I noticed they didn't pick up his 5th year option and of course with the selection of Chubb I would imagine, he's on the way out. Could he possibly play LEO for us? 

Or maybe they're just looking to extend him for cheaper than what the fifth year option would give him. One of our beat writers said that we were looking into an extension for Laken Tomlinson, just after not picking up his option. We can probably get a two or three year deal for Tomlinson for half of what he'd make in the fifth year. Maybe the Broncos have a similar situation with Ray. 

Mack is not leaving the Raiders unless he completely wants out and turns down whatever deal he's offered, which will be offered before he ever comes close to sniffing FA. Those kind of players don't hit the market. At least not while they are in their prime. Mack plays at a priority position, is never hurt, never in trouble, is an All Pro talent, and is only 27. I can't remember the last time a player like that went to another team.  Raiders will bend over backwards for what he wants. Mack and Carr are basically the team. 

1 hour ago, PapaShogun said:

Mack is not leaving the Raiders unless he completely wants out and turns down whatever deal he's offered, which will be offered before he ever comes close to sniffing FA. Those kind of players don't hit the market. At least not while they are in their prime. Mack plays at a priority position, is never hurt, never in trouble, is an All Pro talent, and is only 27. I can't remember the last time a player like that went to another team.  Raiders will bend over backwards for what he wants. Mack and Carr are basically the team. 

Yeah he was offered 100 million over 5 years he turned it down. From what John middlekuaf said he is looking at 110-115 million. Wouldn't surprise me if raiders franchised him two years in a row then let him walk.

25 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

Yeah he was offered 100 million over 5 years he turned it down. From what John middlekuaf said he is looking at 110-115 million. Wouldn't surprise me if raiders franchised him two years in a row then let him walk.

That would be 3 years from now, just about the same time they move to Vegas. Maybe he will want to stay in the Bay Area? I know I probably wouldn't want to move to the desert (@Forge why would anyone?) but obviously there is no state income tax in Nevada which doesn't work in our favor. 

I'd wager if it was as simple as giving him 10 or 20 million more spread out over 5 years, the raiders would have done it in an instant. The terms of the 5/100 must not have been close, and potentially there might be something prohibitive to getting the deal done. We really don't know, but wouldn't it be AWESOME if it happened? 

Buckner, Thomas, Mack.. at this point, it's nothing more than a hope and a prayer, but hey, what would the offseason be without hopes and prayers? 

15 hours ago, Ronnie's Pinky said:

I agree with EDGE to a point, but I disagree with SAM. The 2019 draft is supposed to be loaded with DL and EDGE guys. Now a lot can change between now and then, but I would be willing to bet that if Lynch feels he can get a solid EDGE guy in the draft, he'd go that route instead of overpaying for an FA. For SAM, I feel like Shanahan treats SAM like he does Guard. The niners haven't really brought in any high-caliber talent to compete with Harold at SAM in two years. I just don't think they value SAM that high. I can see them bringing in a low-cost FA and maybe a 5th or 6th round pick to compete at that position next offseason. I would be shocked if we spent any real money/draft picks on SAM.  

47 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

I agree with EDGE to a point, but I disagree with SAM. The 2019 draft is supposed to be loaded with DL and EDGE guys. Now a lot can change between now and then, but I would be willing to bet that if Lynch feels he can get a solid EDGE guy in the draft, he'd go that route instead of overpaying for an FA. For SAM, I feel like Shanahan treats SAM like he does Guard. The niners haven't really brought in any high-caliber talent to compete with Harold at SAM in two years. I just don't think they value SAM that high. I can see them bringing in a low-cost FA and maybe a 5th or 6th round pick to compete at that position next offseason. I would be shocked if we spent any real money/draft picks on SAM.  

I think with SAM it is more of how you view the position when you shift to your nickle package. If you can get a guy that is both a SAM and a edge it is worth more. If you just want a guy to play SAM in the base it isn't worth that much. With the whole shift to more and more downs in Nickle and Dime some positions are just getting less value. We basically line-up in a 3-4 on base downs with the LEO and SAM basically being the OLB's Mitchell as the NT and the Big End and Buckner as DE's. 

9 minutes ago, Justone2 said:

I think with SAM it is more of how you view the position when you shift to your nickle package. If you can get a guy that is both a SAM and a edge it is worth more. If you just want a guy to play SAM in the base it isn't worth that much. With the whole shift to more and more downs in Nickle and Dime some positions are just getting less value. We basically line-up in a 3-4 on base downs with the LEO and SAM basically being the OLB's Mitchell as the NT and the Big End and Buckner as DE's. 

I agree with you on this, but just judging by the lack of competition at SAM last year and this year, it feels to me like Lynch and Shanahan don't value the SAM position the way that some of us on here do.

10 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

I agree with you on this, but just judging by the lack of competition at SAM last year and this year, it feels to me like Lynch and Shanahan don't value the SAM position the way that some of us on here do.

Well i don't think i can disagree with them if you just see it as the role Harold plays. A guy that basically plays around 30% of the snaps and most of that time is responsible for setting the edge in the run game. And Harold is pretty good in that role. As long as he doesn't have to rush the passer or drop in coverage too often he is good enough. It will be more interesting to see what they do when Harold's contract expires and how they will fill that position.

11 hours ago, N4L said:

That would be 3 years from now, just about the same time they move to Vegas. Maybe he will want to stay in the Bay Area? I know I probably wouldn't want to move to the desert (@Forge why would anyone?) but obviously there is no state income tax in Nevada which doesn't work in our favor. 

I'll be honest, I love Vegas. One of best decisions I ever made to pack up and move out here. Its certainly not for everyone, but I love it. And I don't even visit the strip all that often any more. 

Archived