Around the NFL

Forge

13 minutes ago, Forge said:

I'll be honest, I love Vegas. One of best decisions I ever made to pack up and move out here. Its certainly not for everyone, but I love it. And I don't even visit the strip all that often any more. 

So what exactly is great about Vegas if you don't even go to the strip all that much? No state income taxes?

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

So what exactly is great about Vegas if you don't even go to the strip all that much? No state income taxes?

Weather, no state income taxes are nice, can pretty much find everything 24/7, never at a loss for things to do. 

8 minutes ago, Forge said:

Weather, no state income taxes are nice, can pretty much find everything 24/7, never at a loss for things to do. 

Weather? I live where it gets to over 100 a lot in the summer, several degrees above that sometimes. I hate it. Open the door and go outside and it's like you just bent over and opened the oven door. Sure I can stay indoors, but I like getting out. I've been to LV in the summer. It's even worse than here.

2 hours ago, NinerNation21 said:

I agree with you on this, but just judging by the lack of competition at SAM last year and this year, it feels to me like Lynch and Shanahan don't value the SAM position the way that some of us on here do.

I think this has much more to do with the players available than a disinterest in the positions. I would certainly not say he puts more value in a FB than he does a SAM just because we went out and paid for one. Plus, the team had a giant talent deficit. We kept only like 14 players from 2016. That's a hell of a lot of depth they needed to pick up and still do. They drafted Pita for SAM and still like him. But there was no way to makeover the roster in 2 years. Inevitably, some positions were going to be neglected at the expense of others. 

After all, using the lack of addressing a position as the sole criterion for whether or not the team valued the position would mean that they also don't value a pass rusher. 

11 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

I think this has much more to do with the players available than a disinterest in the positions. I would certainly not say he puts more value in a FB than he does a SAM just because we went out and paid for one. Plus, the team had a giant talent deficit. We kept only like 14 players from 2016. That's a hell of a lot of depth they needed to pick up and still do. They drafted Pita for SAM and still like him. But there was no way to makeover the roster in 2 years. Inevitably, some positions were going to be neglected at the expense of others. 

After all, using the lack of addressing a position as the sole criterion for whether or not the team valued the position would mean that they also don't value a pass rusher. 

In the first two offseasons by this regime, they brought in the following players to compete at EDGE:

• Solomon Thomas
  • Jeremiah Attouchu
  • Cassius Marsh

They also experimented with Armstead playing EDGE and talked about giving Harold a shot at it this year as well. I think they're trying to be creative with who plays EDGE this year because they flat out said that the EDGE class in FA and draft this year were pretty terrible. 

The reason I think they don't believe in investing premium assets in a non-premium position like SAM is that the only player they brought in to compete at SAM was Pita. They could've brought in a cheap vet this offseason to compete with Harold, but didn't. I just don't think they value the SAM position very highly, like guard. 

27 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

I wondered last year how many players from the Baalke era would be on the roster at the strt of last year. I thought we'd lose a lot and we lost more than I expected. I also thought year 2 would be the one where we really saw what he/they think of the team they inherited. The answer is - not very much at all. I think there's only going to be ahandfull , or maybe a couple of handfuls, of guys left from the Baalke era.

Archived