Around the NFL

Forge

5 hours ago, NinerNation21 said:

In the first two offseasons by this regime, they brought in the following players to compete at EDGE:

• Solomon Thomas
  • Jeremiah Attouchu
  • Cassius Marsh

They also experimented with Armstead playing EDGE and talked about giving Harold a shot at it this year as well. I think they're trying to be creative with who plays EDGE this year because they flat out said that the EDGE class in FA and draft this year were pretty terrible. 

The reason I think they don't believe in investing premium assets in a non-premium position like SAM is that the only player they brought in to compete at SAM was Pita. They could've brought in a cheap vet this offseason to compete with Harold, but didn't. I just don't think they value the SAM position very highly, like guard. 

Solomon Thomas was never an EDGE player. Neither was Armstead (and obviously the regime didn't bring him in). And the regime also brought in two former first round picks at guard in Laken Tomlinson and Jonathan Cooper. If Marsh and Attaochu count as addressing EDGE, than certainly Tomlinson and Cooper count as addressing Guard. 

2 hours ago, y2lamanaki said:

Solomon Thomas was never an EDGE player. Neither was Armstead (and obviously the regime didn't bring him in). And the regime also brought in two former first round picks at guard in Laken Tomlinson and Jonathan Cooper. If Marsh and Attaochu count as addressing EDGE, than certainly Tomlinson and Cooper count as addressing Guard. 

They do count as addressing guard. It's true that Thomas is not a true EDGE and Armstead is not an EDGE at all, but my point is that they're being creative because the EDGE players available this year weren't worth the assets needed to acquire them. Tomlinson and Cooper, who were 1st round picks, have seen their value drop tremendously because of the overvaluation of their talent. They're now seen as depth players, not true difference-making starters, which allowed the niners to acquire them at a fairly cheap price, which is also my point. The niners are not investing premium assets to acquire guards. I really wanted the niners to draft one of the top guard prospects this year, but they didn't even bother to draft a guard with any of their picks. 

12 hours ago, NinerNation21 said:

They do count as addressing guard. It's true that Thomas is not a true EDGE and Armstead is not an EDGE at all, but my point is that they're being creative because the EDGE players available this year weren't worth the assets needed to acquire them. Tomlinson and Cooper, who were 1st round picks, have seen their value drop tremendously because of the overvaluation of their talent. They're now seen as depth players, not true difference-making starters, which allowed the niners to acquire them at a fairly cheap price, which is also my point. The niners are not investing premium assets to acquire guards. I really wanted the niners to draft one of the top guard prospects this year, but they didn't even bother to draft a guard with any of their picks. 

Yep, one of the reasons why I rather like the Giants draft is they got Hernandez in the 2nd. Saquon is going to love this guy.

14 hours ago, NinerNation21 said:

my point is that they're being creative because the EDGE players available this year weren't worth the assets needed to acquire them. Tomlinson and Cooper, who were 1st round picks, have seen their value drop tremendously because of the overvaluation of their talent. They're now seen as depth players, not true difference-making starters, which allowed the niners to acquire them at a fairly cheap price, which is also my point. The niners are not investing premium assets to acquire guards.

In this same paragraph, you note that the team is being creative because the EDGE players this year (and last, evidently) weren't worth the assets to acquire them (I agree). You also note that the 49ers are not investing premium assets to acquire guards, but seem to be suggesting it's because they don't value them. Not sure I understand the logic here.

The 49ers traded a 5th round pick for Laken Tomlinson. The 49ers have traded no picks for a pass rusher.

Attaochu was signed for 3 million. Marsh is about 3.8 million a year over 2 years. Jonathan Cooper was signed to 4.95 million.

Your point that Tomlinson and Cooper have dropped in value is accurate. But the team apparently valued them higher than their pass-rushing counterparts.

So if you don't think they value guards, they must really not value pass-rushers.

But again - the truth with Guard, pass-rushers, and the SAM position are the same - it's not that they necessarily undervalue those positions. They just had a lot to makeover and chose other spots first because they liked those players better.

Patriots OT Trent Brown could start at left tackle this season.

Brown primarily played right tackle with the 49ers since Joe Staley was the team's regular left tackle. With Nate Solder gone in free agency, Brown will likely start on Tom Brady's blindside, leaving Marcus Cannon as the team's primary right tackle. Patriots' first-round pick Isaiah Wynn played tackle in college but is expected to move to guard, competing with LaAdrian Waddle and Antonio Garcia.

Just now, y2lamanaki said:

It'll be a tad depressing if he's even better there.

I mean it is what it is. Dude is a super skilled pass blocker and that's not going to change. Neither is him becoming a good run blocker. But my thing is with the NFL being a pass first league, the skill set he is better at is far more valuable than the other he is sub-par at, right? But Shanny/Lynch never seemed to be big fans of his and questioned his work ethic + toughness so here we are. 

Hopefully Moore becomes a stud, or else it will be a hard trade to swallow. 

4 hours ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

Patriots OT Trent Brown could start at left tackle this season.

Brown primarily played right tackle with the 49ers since Joe Staley was the team's regular left tackle. With Nate Solder gone in free agency, Brown will likely start on Tom Brady's blindside, leaving Marcus Cannon as the team's primary right tackle. Patriots' first-round pick Isaiah Wynn played tackle in college but is expected to move to guard, competing with LaAdrian Waddle and Antonio Garcia.

Been reading several Boiston area reviews fo the Brown trade. They seem to be overwhelmingly positive. Frankly I think Brown can play LT. Whatever liabilities he has in the running game won't affect which side he plays on. As for pass blocking, he's just really, really good. I think he can handle guys coming from his left side as well as he did guys comine from his usual spot on the right.

5 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I mean it is what it is. Dude is a super skilled pass blocker and that's not going to change. Neither is him becoming a good run blocker. But my thing is with the NFL being a pass first league, the skill set he is better at is far more valuable than the other he is sub-par at, right? But Shanny/Lynch never seemed to be big fans of his and questioned his work ethic + toughness so here we are. 

Hopefully Moore becomes a stud, or else it will be a hard trade to swallow. 

The 49ers were never going to give him his next contract, and neither will the Patriots. Frankly, I wouldn't want to be a fan of the team that does. I think the FO got off of Brown while the getting was good.

I wouldn't be surprised if Brown had a great year. Contract year, lots to prove, has the skills, plus, blocking for Brady isn't all that hard. The guy just finds ways of getting rid of the ball before anyone can touch him. When we played them in 2012, it was frustrating just how many sacks he avoided, sometimes just by throwing it at the feet of his RB. They have a great OL coach, and Brady and Belichik, so I'm sure they'll play to the OL's strengths, and to Brown's strengths. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if he made the probowl. And I still wouldn't feel bad about the trade.

40 minutes ago, Ronnie's Pinky said:

The 49ers were never going to give him his next contract, and neither will the Patriots. Frankly, I wouldn't want to be a fan of the team that does. I think the FO got off of Brown while the getting was good.

Depends on his market I suppose. I thought he would get a big deal, but if teams are that concerned about him, it wouldn't be surprising to see a soft market for him. 

2 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

You know you're pretty awful when it costs the team 200K more to get rid of you than it does to keep you and they still cut you anyway....

Assuming that they made this move as a june 1 cut. 

Archived