Around the NFL

Forge

3 hours ago, Forge said:

That's certainly not Fleener. 

Also, Hikutini was a UDFA last year. Let's give the kid a chance to breathe a little bit. Are the odds stacked against him actually becoming anything? Sure. But man, I thought I was quick on the trigger to bounce off people. Developing players does take time. We all want to develop players, but apparently don't want to take the time to do it. Pretty fascinating, honestly. 

Well that's all I'm saying. You're saying the odds are stacked against him. Is that much different from saying I think he won't amount to much? I'm saying that eactly because the odds are stacked against him. Fleener might not be the right guy to bring in. But I'm not opposed to bringing someone in. I would have liked a good TE in the draft if we could have managed it. If Hikutini develops and beats out a rookie or a FA signing then fine. But as long as his chances for success are slim, and CELEK is JAG then I'd like us to keep looking.

• 2 weeks later...
Bills released OG Richie Incognito.
Incognito was believed to have retired last month, but he reportedly flirted with the idea of reporting to the Bills' offseason program, and has now been granted his release. Incognito turns 35 before the season, but he has continued to play at a high level. He was PFF's No. 12 overall guard in 2017 and No. 7 in pass blocking. If his heart is still in it, Incognito should not struggle to land a starting job on the open market. 

29 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

He's good, really good. Some team is getting a good one. 

He'd make a awesome WILL in this scheme. But you can't play both him and Smith on the field together so that's the dilmenia if the staff still views Smith as a front-line starter. Not sure about Kendricks as a MIKE. He's more of a coverage guy.

22 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

He'd make a awesome WILL in this scheme. But you can't play both him and Smith on the field together so that's the dilmenia if the staff still views Smith as a front-line starter. Not sure about Kendricks as a MIKE. He's more of a coverage guy.

Not to mention Warner.

Not that I want to turn this topic into a discussion on here, but I'm listening to my local sports radio while working, and man, the NFL and Goodell (particularly his comments) are getting blasted left and right about their anthem policy. 

2 hours ago, Forge said:

Not that I want to turn this topic into a discussion on here, but I'm listening to my local sports radio while working, and man, the NFL and Goodell (particularly his comments) are getting blasted left and right about their anthem policy. 

FWIW it seems like Jed abstained from the voting. 

This is what I posted in the news thread about the anthem protests:

I have a perfect solution to this whole issue. 

1) Players are required to stand for the national anthem

2) Once the anthem is finished, we have a moment of silence to protest 'injustices and discrimination' where players are free to kneel or do whatever they want. 

That way, the flag is honored/respected while we are also bringing awareness to social issues. Its really a simple fix to be honest. Everyone would win. 

58 minutes ago, N4L said:

This is what I posted in the news thread about the anthem protests:

I have a perfect solution to this whole issue. 

1) Players are required to stand for the national anthem

2) Once the anthem is finished, we have a moment of silence to protest 'injustices and discrimination' where players are free to kneel or do whatever they want. 

That way, the flag is honored/respected while we are also bringing awareness to social issues. Its really a simple fix to be honest. Everyone would win. 

All these players are employed by the NFL. The players have the right to protest and do really whatever they want on the field, but it does not come without consequences. Playing in the NFL is a privilege and the NFL is a business; if they feel something is making the NFL brand look bad they have every right to do what they think is necessary to stop it. If you were working at a bank and you were swearing at all the customers, you are certainly exercising your freedom of speech, but again it would come with consequences. I personally think it is disrespectful to sit or kneel during the anthem, and I understand that players don’t feel that they are being disrespectful to our country or armed forces, but I feel there is a better way to bring their issues to light. To me this has turned into more of a pissing contest between the NFL and it’s employees than it is about their causes. I will say that their has been good that’s come from this though as they have raised large amounts of money to help different causes. I know this won’t be received well, but it my mind it’s what it really comes down to. At the end of the day, I don’t watch football to see who’s going to be standing or kneeling this week, I watch it because I love the game.

I don't disagree with anything you said, however it is important to understand how entrenched both sides are with their opinions, which are both completely valid and sound. My solution solves both problems, it is respectful towards our service members as well as bringing light certain issues that are clearly important to a large number of players in the league. 

9 hours ago, Geek said:

FWIW it seems like Jed abstained from the voting. 

Yeah he said he'd have liked to involve the players, probably a bit difficult to materialize but maybe the best way to find a permanent solution. Players also seemed to like Yed's reaction on this matter.

14 hours ago, Gore Whore 21 said:

All these players are employed by the NFL. The players have the right to protest and do really whatever they want on the field, but it does not come without consequences. Playing in the NFL is a privilege and the NFL is a business; if they feel something is making the NFL brand look bad they have every right to do what they think is necessary to stop it. If you were working at a bank and you were swearing at all the customers, you are certainly exercising your freedom of speech, but again it would come with consequences. I personally think it is disrespectful to sit or kneel during the anthem, and I understand that players don’t feel that they are being disrespectful to our country or armed forces, but I feel there is a better way to bring their issues to light. To me this has turned into more of a pissing contest between the NFL and it’s employees than it is about their causes. I will say that their has been good that’s come from this though as they have raised large amounts of money to help different causes. I know this won’t be received well, but it my mind it’s what it really comes down to. At the end of the day, I don’t watch football to see who’s going to be standing or kneeling this week, I watch it because I love the game.

Sooooo much this! 

Being a teacher, if I made a political statement (regardless of where!) I could face suspension at a minimum and termination as a maximum. Sure, you can voice your opinion and your employer can discipline you for it. The 1st Amendment does not protect from consequences via an employer, it only promises the government will not give us any.

Archived