Around the NFL

Forge

1 minute ago, oldman9er said:

Yeah, I don't get this for the Saints. Too rich. 

Very steep price to pay for sure. I know some people will do the chart math and say they only gave up the equivalent of like a late 4th  round pick or whatever it is, but I think there's a considerable difference in the quality of player between the back end of the third and an early to mid 6th. 

8 minutes ago, Forge said:

Very steep price to pay for sure. I know some people will do the chart math and say they only gave up the equivalent of like a late 4th  round pick or whatever it is, but I think there's a considerable difference in the quality of player between the back end of the third and an early to mid 6th. 

plus, didn't NOLA give away their 1st rd pick next year for Davenport? 

6 minutes ago, mw2noobbuster said:

Nice of the Jets to send Teddy to a place where he can compete for the starting role and potentially take the torch.

I'd be a little surprised if he's anything more than a single year rental for the Saints  to be honest. He's only under contract this year and he has no incentive to sign an extension. Make more sense for him to wait for the market next year again and see if any of the quarterback situations offer him a chance to be a starter. I could see him re-signing with the Saints if that fails, but I dont' think that would happen until he exhausted the starting options. 

55 minutes ago, Forge said:

I'd be a little surprised if he's anything more than a single year rental for the Saints  to be honest. He's only under contract this year and he has no incentive to sign an extension. Make more sense for him to wait for the market next year again and see if any of the quarterback situations offer him a chance to be a starter. I could see him re-signing with the Saints if that fails, but I dont' think that would happen until he exhausted the starting options. 

Well Brees is 39, no? Teddy is only 25. I mean, he can test the market for a better situation sure but I can see Teddy taking over there just as much as it being only a rental. 

19 minutes ago, mw2noobbuster said:

Well Brees is 39, no? Teddy is only 25. I mean, he can test the market for a better situation sure but I can see Teddy taking over there just as much as it being only a rental. 

The problem for the Saints is that Teddy at least has to see what the market offers come next year. He's doing a disservice to himself if he doesn't. The real issue there is that a lot of the teams that would potentially be interested in him can offer something that the Saints can't - a chance to start next year. It's not that dissimilar to the Jimmy G issue. Teddy B probably wants to play, and the idea of sitting yet another year (that would make 4 years out as a starter) is probably not something he loves. Thats guess work of course, but athletes are typically competitive people who want to show what they can do. Brees is under contract for 2 more years and he really doesn't show any signs of slowing down (similar to Brady). People have noted his game and physical abilities have diminished somewhat, but then you just change the game plan and scheme to a small extent, again, not different from what the Pats have done with Brady. The only way I don't see him coming back next year is if he retires. They also have some major cap issues. With the acquisition of Bridgewater, they have no space remaining this year, and are projected to have about 11 next year depending on where you estimate the cap at. They'd have to sign their draft class (not a ton, given they lack 1st and 3rd rounders), but Michael Thomas will be heading into the last year of his deal, and extension would have to be imminent. So they really can't afford to give him as much money as other teams (even if other teams came at him as a back up). 

There are going to be a number of teams potentially in quarterback flux next year. While not all of them will make a move (and maybe none of them will), there is a possibility that they do. We are talking: 

Bengals & Andy Dalton. He has no dead money on his deal whatsoever. Another mediocre season, and they could easily move on. 

Dolphins and Tannehill. Tannehill has 13 milion in dead money, but also saves 13 million. He's already 30 years old, and will be entering his 31 year old season (that is absolutely crazy). I think for the most part, we have seen the best of Tannehill. The dolphins won't be good this year in my opinion, and I struggle to find a reason to really be high on his play going into the season. Could absolutely see him gone after the year. 

Giants & Eli. There was a lot of talk that they would move on this year. Another bad year, and that could absolutely be the case with no problem. His dead money isn't an issue, and he saves like 17 million against the cap. Davis Webb certainly doesn't look like the answer. 

Denver & Case. Similar to Tannehill, he's at 11 / 11 in dead money and cap savings. He's had one pretty solid season in last year, but has largely been top backup caliber in regards to play. If he struggles like he has the majority of his career, they could decide to move on. 

Other teams could look at him as a potential quarterback battle. When you consider the draft class is considered pretty weak in the quarterback market (could change, obviously, still way too early for that), and there are other elite prospects in the draft at non quarterback positions (including the all important pass rush), I feel like it's not even a guarantee that a team who just happens to have a bad season will select a quarterback at the top. 

It's not impossible he re-signs there, but I just feel that it's very unlikely, at least in the current point in time. Would have to revisit in Feb / March. Obviously if few teams make moves and the ones who do are in position to draft their guy, it's highly possible he finds himself in a situation similar to this year, and at that point, the Saints are a really solid option if they can get the money to work. 

1 hour ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

Not sure if this has been posted but Raiders supposedly want TWO first round picks for Mack.

Thoughts?

I would hope our 9ers would counter offer perhaps a 1st and 2 2nds...or a 1st and 2nd as well as 2 3rds. Something like that. 2 1sts is a bit stiff, but if they really think he can push the D over the top...

2 hours ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

Not sure if this has been posted but Raiders supposedly want TWO first round picks for Mack.

Thoughts?

I just don't think the Raiders get that kind of return. Mack is already 27 and he's going to want at least a 4- or 5-year deal with an average of $20 mil a year. That's pretty steep, but not completely unreasonable. Where I think the biggest sticking point is the amount of high-quality pass rushing talent in the 2019 draft. As of right now, a playoff team could have the potential to take a premium EDGE rusher in the first round, where if that same guy was in the 2018 draft, he'd probably be picked in the top 15. Do you keep your two firsts and take a premium EDGE this year and still have the opportunity to take a premium player the year after, or do you sign Mack to a monster deal now? 

I also think Mack has the leverage right now. Everyone and their mother know that Mack wants out and will not play a down for the Raiders until he gets a new deal or is traded. The Raiders can say that he will only be available for a short amount of time before they strike a deal, but the handling of this situation by the Raiders has been terrible and no team will take them seriously.

They're asking for 2 firsts, but in the end, I think a 2019 first and 2020 2nd could get the deal done.

35 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

I just don't think the Raiders get that kind of return. Mack is already 27 and he's going to want at least a 4- or 5-year deal with an average of $20 mil a year. That's pretty steep, but not completely unreasonable. Where I think the biggest sticking point is the amount of high-quality pass rushing talent in the 2019 draft. As of right now, a playoff team could have the potential to take a premium EDGE rusher in the first round, where if that same guy was in the 2018 draft, he'd probably be picked in the top 15. Do you keep your two firsts and take a premium EDGE this year and still have the opportunity to take a premium player the year after, or do you sign Mack to a monster deal now? 

I also think Mack has the leverage right now. Everyone and their mother know that Mack wants out and will not play a down for the Raiders until he gets a new deal or is traded. The Raiders can say that he will only be available for a short amount of time before they strike a deal, but the handling of this situation by the Raiders has been terrible and no team will take them seriously.

They're asking for 2 firsts, but in the end, I think a 2019 first and 2020 2nd could get the deal done.

Agree with this. It seems like the asking price is always "two firsts" lol. Its the same thing we heard about OBJ. At this point, they are right to ask for it because there is no need to trade Mack at the current point in time. There's still some hope they can get him signed or he'll come to play. When they feel that they have to trade him, that price will have to come down because I don't think there will be a market at two firsts unless its green bay to be perfectly honest. The most comparable trade is Jared Allen, who went for a first, two thirds, and a swap of sixths. 

So I think a 1 and 2 is enough as well. 

2 hours ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

Thoughts?

If not high then it's totally reasonable.  Let's say a team is picking in the 20's.  Sure you occasionally hit the jackpot and end up with a great player with a pick in the 20's. But you could just as easo;u end up with a guy that is an average starter, maybe not even average. And of course probably as often as you pick a star in the 20s you pick a dud who is out of the league in a few years without contribuiting much of anything. So the question is what price would you pay to guarantee that player is a multiple time pro bowler? To me throwing in another pick just like the first one is more than reasonable. I mean look at any two random picks in the 20s.  Two stars? Two duds? Two average Joes? My guess is that one multiple time pro bowler, particularly one that can rush the passer, is way more valuable than two random picks in the 20s.

Archived