Around the NFL

Forge

9 minutes ago, Forge said:

There was already a report that they are planning on shopping Smith after the season is over, and they won't have a chance to see where Mahomes is next year before shopping Smith, so it has to be based on what he did this year. Looks like it was enough and that decision has already been made (assuming of course, the report is accurate, though Shefty is usually pretty good on that). Smith has also said he thinks it'll be his last season there. 

Yeah, the writing is on the wall for Smith in KC. Will be interesting to see how they perform in the playoffs. What if they get to the SB and win it? Do you still get rid of Smith or try to repeat?

5 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Yeah, the writing is on the wall for Smith in KC. Will be interesting to see how they perform in the playoffs. What if they get to the SB and win it? Do you still get rid of Smith or try to repeat?

That's the ultimate sell high for me. I'd ship him out and get what I can in that instance. He's only under contract for one more year, already 34...it'd be an odd scenario to move off a super bowl winning quarterback, but it would be entirely possible at that ponit that they got a comparable return for him that we did, which would be quite astonishing to be honest. 

2 hours ago, Forge said:

I mean, you're paying Cousins / Jimmy G 50 over that time period so not really saving a ton there. We always act like we are going to spend the entire cap we have available and we don't. Makes little difference, I think. 

If you're drafting a guy, then I don't see how Brees really effects that. You can have both as I mentioned above. 

But again, all kind of moot in my opinion. As you suggested - he could retire rather than go elsewhere. He's pretty closely ingrained into NO not just as a team, but a city, and we wouldn't be the most appealing option if he were available. At the same time, I'm just not convinced they'd let him go without him struggling this year to some extent, and he hasn't shown that yet. 

For me the best possible scenario is that we end up with a chance at a really highly regarded guy coming out - picking very high, moving up without paying a king's ransom, or just getting a really good prospect outside of the top couple of spots or so. Then we can use some of that $25-30 million per year we'd have to pay Cousins to plug holes with good veterans, not someone's castoffs. In that case we either roll with that rookie QB and develop him as quickly as possible or play Beathard or Cousins for a season, or at least a few games while the rookie learns the system.

2 hours ago, Forge said:

There was already a report that they are planning on shopping Smith after the season is over, and they won't have a chance to see where Mahomes is next year before shopping Smith, so it has to be based on what he did this year. Looks like it was enough and that decision has already been made (assuming of course, the report is accurate, though Shefty is usually pretty good on that). Smith has also said he thinks it'll be his last season there. 

Could be.  Hard to think that if they made the SB or even the Championship game that they would want to switch to an untried QB - unless they think bad play from Smith is what kept them from winning that game. If they don't make it that far then I think they might well make the switch if they think as highly of him as we hear.  The question seems to be how much of next year's success are they giving up to move to their QB of the future  ... is their "QB of the Future" ready to be their "QB of the present"?

2 hours ago, Forge said:

That's the ultimate sell high for me. I'd ship him out and get what I can in that instance. He's only under contract for one more year, already 34...it'd be an odd scenario to move off a super bowl winning quarterback, but it would be entirely possible at that ponit that they got a comparable return for him that we did, which would be quite astonishing to be honest. 

Really?  IF he won the SB (seems not likely) you would get rid of him?  What are the chances of a repeat win with a QB that's never played an NFL game in his life and was deemed "a project" coming out?  I like the notion that maybe they could get a lot in trade value for him if he was a SB winning QB, but what's the purpose if not to win it all.  And if you've just done that wouldn't you want to keep as many pieces in place as possible and try to repeat?

3 minutes ago, big9erfan said:

Could be.  Hard to think that if they made the SB or even the Championship game that they would want to switch to an untried QB - unless they think bad play from Smith is what kept them from winning that game. If they don't make it that far then I think they might well make the switch if they think as highly of him as we hear.  The question seems to be how much of next year's success are they giving up to move to their QB of the future  ... is their "QB of the Future" ready to be their "QB of the present"?

There's a part of me that wonders if they don't expect some hefty roster turnover next year, particularly on defense that may impact their ability to compete. Or they just feel that they are going to need that money and cap space more than they need Smith. Derrick Johnson should be on his way out (I think he's under contract, but age / possible retirement, 8 million in savings, they traded for Reggie Ragland). Bennie Logan is only on a one year deal. Philip Gaines is a FA. Dustin Colquitta FA. Anthony Sherman. Santos. Ron Parker could get cut. Right now, they are actually slated at over 8 million over the cap for next year. Changes are coming 

9 minutes ago, big9erfan said:

Really?  IF he won the SB (seems not likely) you would get rid of him?  What are the chances of a repeat win with a QB that's never played an NFL game in his life and was deemed "a project" coming out?  I like the notion that maybe they could get a lot in trade value for him if he was a SB winning QB, but what's the purpose if not to win it all.  And if you've just done that wouldn't you want to keep as many pieces in place as possible and try to repeat?

In a heartbeat. Wouldn't even think twice about it. 

But in the Chiefs case, there are other problems - namely, the cap. See my previous post. They are actually 8 million *over* the cap for next year right now. 

Texans released Jaelen Strong today. I was a big fan of him coming out of college and like his size, strength and speed. Never seemed to put the pieces together in Houston but I would not mind us taking a shot and giving him a role to see what he can do with actual field time. He was looking good this preseason.

4 hours ago, Forge said:

In a heartbeat. Wouldn't even think twice about it. 

But in the Chiefs case, there are other problems - namely, the cap. See my previous post. They are actually 8 million *over* the cap for next year right now. 

Ah ... the cap. I hadn't considered that. Good point.  Putting that aside there is zero chance I would trade a decent QB who had just won the SB and turn the team over to an untried second year guy, unless of course as you've pointed out they lose a bunch of other pieces and make a repeat win unlikely. That's another good point I hadn't thought about.  I mean teams take 10 or 20 years, or sometimes more to put a SB winner together.  If I've got one I'm not trading away the most important guy on that team and planning to replace him with QB with zero experience.  That's a move I make when my chances for a repeat are either low, or better with the untried guy than the veteran.

So the Colts almost won last week and are destroying the Browns. Luck is to be back in a few weeks, but until then Brissett looks more than capable.

Jets are beating the Dolphins 10-0.

Jags gave the Ravens a whooping.

Top 3 pick for us actually looks pretty decent at this point.

14 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

So the Colts almost won last week and are destroying the Browns. Luck is to be back in a few weeks, but until then Brissett looks more than capable.

Yeah, that brisset for dorsett trade is going to be good for them

That jets game was an upset special for me. Was really nervous about that game, why I did not use it for eliminator purposes

25 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

We'll see, us aside the Jets, Dolphins, Bills, Browns and imo also the Panthers are quite bad, think the Bears can finish above them all.

Case Keenum looks like a decent QB today.

6 minutes ago, AustrianNiner said:

We'll see, us aside the Jets, Dolphins, Bills, Browns and imo also the Panthers are quite bad, think the Bears can finish above them all.

Case Keenum looks like a decent QB today.

Which annoys me to no end. I specifically took the bucs defense in my league because of Keenum

Archived