Around the NFL

Forge

9 minutes ago, big9erfan said:

I'm kind of surprised we haven't made a move for an established db.  On the other hand I'd rather keep those draft picks and continue on the heels of this year's draft.  Trading a still decent Vance Macdonald for someone else's still decent CB or S might still be an option.

I don't think that there's anyone who's going to take Vance off of our hands. If he's gone, I think it's going to be a cut. Luckily for him, Kittle as that hamstring issue, which may make us leery of cutting him. 

I feel like the pressure on Goff this year is going to be significant. If he completely bombs and craps the bed after what they have done to help him this off season, they may look to move off of him as early as next season. They added an elite left tackle in pass protection in Whitworth (he's not as great in the run game, but he still pass blocks with the best of them). They added a legit dynamic wide receiver in Sammy Watkins (health permitting). They brought in Robert Woods as a legit 2/3 guy (he's fine in that role I think), who is also a fantastic blocker to help in the run game, and drafted Cooper Kupp who could be a very good slot monster. Then you still have Tavon Austin who is good for some gadget plays and a good game or two per season, drafted Gerald Everett to get a nightmare matchup tight end along with incumbent Tyler HIgbee, drafted Josh Reynolds for some more receiver depth and added Sam Rogers at full back, and they still have Todd Gurley. 

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

I feel like the pressure on Goff this year is going to be significant. If he completely bombs and craps the bed after what they have done to help him this off season, they may look to move off of him as early as next season. They added an elite left tackle in pass protection in Whitworth (he's not as great in the run game, but he still pass blocks with the best of them). They added a legit dynamic wide receiver in Sammy Watkins (health permitting). They brought in Robert Woods as a legit 2/3 guy (he's fine in that role I think), who is also a fantastic blocker to help in the run game, and drafted Cooper Kupp who could be a very good slot monster. Then you still have Tavon Austin who is good for some gadget plays and a good game or two per season, drafted Gerald Everett to get a nightmare matchup tight end along with incumbent Tyler HIgbee, drafted Josh Reynolds for some more receiver depth and added Sam Rogers at full back, and they still have Todd Gurley. 

Yeah, credit to the Eagles and Rams for getting teams in place for their QBs that they paid big prices for. If either falters, it's gonna raise some major eyebrows. 

I agree @Forge and @y2lamanaki, nice to see the Rams and Eagles bet big on their QBOTF and try and give him the best supporting cast within reason. Both Gaines and Darby had good rookie years but them Gaines was injured all last year and Darby played pretty poorly but both seem to have upside. I too would have liked to see us try and grab one of those WRs although I'm not sure we would of had the CB type they were looking for to pair with one of our 2nd rounders. 

Interestinr point about Goff and if he continues to struggle @Forge especially since the Rams are the other team with a head coach who used to be Cousins OC. And with the pieces they have on offense might even seem a bit more tempting. Should be pretty interesting, hypothetically speaking if Goff were available after the Rams landed Cousins would you guys be good with him coming here? Certainty a strange twist of fate and storyline that would be. With next years class of OL looking as strong as it does right now I really would like to see that be the main focus of our draft, well that and CB, so I think I'd be good with rolling into next season with HoyAir, assuming he performs admirably this season, and Goff as his back up/Shannys project.

Not really related to anything being talked about but the Ravens lost yet another player for the season with Alex Lewis, their up and coming OG for the season with a shoulder injury. I know we've had our injury troubles in the past but this is getting ridiculous now in Baltimore. 

Saw a couple quarters of Joe Mixon this weekend. Wow, he looked great.  Saw Jordan Willis explode of the line at the snap, blow by his OT and bring down the QB with a one-handed grab.  Then watched a bit of Mike Iupati - still bowling guys over, moving better on edge runs than any of our G's can do.  We could sure use a guy like him now.

4 hours ago, big9erfan said:

Saw a couple quarters of Joe Mixon this weekend. Wow, he looked great.  Saw Jordan Willis explode of the line at the snap, blow by his OT and bring down the QB with a one-handed grab.  Then watched a bit of Mike Iupati - still bowling guys over, moving better on edge runs than any of our G's can do.  We could sure use a guy like him now.

That Willis sack, the commentators were saying he was probably offside, but they let it go. It looked great, but that's the kind of sacks that doesn't really excite me from a pass rusher. Pure edge speed, little to no contact with the lineman, no real technique except bending around. I think Willis fell to the third (third, right?) for good reason. He's a situational pass rusher with great measurables. 

Mixon did look pretty good. But our rookie RBs looked just as good, in my opinion. I trust a Shanahan to find unheralded prospects and turn them into probowlers. That would be great if Kyle could consistently find hidden gem on the offensive side (at the skills position, like Breida and Trent Taylor, so far), and leave the early rounders to build the OL and defense. Future looks bright.

3 hours ago, Fureys49ers said:

Rumors about Delvin Breaux being shopped around by the Saints. Apparently they are frustrated with that amount of time he has missed from minor injuries. Injuries or not I'm interested.

Raiders fans are also saying that there's a chance that Sean Smith could be a surprise cut by Oakland. 

If I'm not mistaken both could use upgrades or atleast help in the run stopping department specifically at DT. I wonder if we couldn't package a deal of a mid/low round pick and Dial for either Smith or Breaux. Personally I prefer Breaux as he is actually an above average starter when healthy but at this I'll take whatever help we can get

Archived