Around the NFL

Forge

Just now, Fureys49ers said:

I have to agree as well. He showed his mobility and arm talent some plays and his lack of starting experience in others. Overall a very meh game from him but he had zero running game help, is playing with a WR corps that makes our look like studs. Definitelty made some questionable throws however and missed a couple of pre-play reads with blitzers and defensive coverages. 

Yeah, I was debating on putting something in there about his supporting cast. I'm not sure if it's a positive or a negative yet. I mean, his offensive line is solid...not great (couple of great players, but as a unit, not great), and obviously he has some talented running backs in Howard and Cohen that should help (when they aren't playing a defense that's as talented as the Vikings), but man, that receiving corps is brutal. Miller is a fine TE when he's in there. Very underrated. But I also wouldn't expect him to make it through the season. Wright is....I don't know...a disappointment for sure lol, but I suppose he's not awful. But nowhere near as good as he should be, and he's largely a slot receiver type. The other receivers are some of the worst I've seen...and they have no ability to help him whatsoever. Drops galore from those guys (as niner fans, I think that we can all sympathize with Trubs on that)

Yea all that plus pretty mundane, unimaginative play calling by the Bears outside of a fake punt and two point conversion. Like where was that during an actual drive haha? When you're that greatly outmatched you need to bring something to the table other than line up in a heavy set and try to run it straight at the defense or roll the QB out.

More proof that ESPN's QBR is a joke...somehow Watson scored the highest of week 5 and had the second highest total of the season (humorously, he has the top 2 this year) despite playing like badly through 2 and a half quarters and getting most of his stats in garbage time on hail mary's. 

2 hours ago, Fureys49ers said:

Yea all that plus pretty mundane, unimaginative play calling by the Bears outside of a fake punt and two point conversion. Like where was that during an actual drive haha? When you're that greatly outmatched you need to bring something to the table other than line up in a heavy set and try to run it straight at the defense or roll the QB out.

It's funny, all of you disagreed with my post and then back tracked and gave all the reasons I was going to give about why he should get the benefit of the doubt. Let's go over them again:

1) going up against a tough defense. There aren't many holes in that defense, lots of talent from top to bottom

2) No noteworthy targets on the outside. Their receiving corps are easily the worst in the NFL

3) very mundane playcalling with all of the heavy set tosses etc outside of a play or two

4) he made a lot of accurate throws on the run down the field. Wasn't afraid to fit the ball into tighter windows nor to throw guys open. Gave his guys a chance to make plays. 

Obviously there were mistakes. He did miss some presnap reads but overall there was a lot to build on. Hard not to like what he showed if you are a bears fan imo

21 minutes ago, N4L said:

It's funny, all of you disagreed with my post and then back tracked and gave all the reasons I was going to give about why he should get the benefit of the doubt. Let's go over them again:

Nobody backtracked that I know of. People said that they weren't impressed, but didn't really put any stock in at this point in time because it was his first start against a tough defense. It's too early to say much of anything at this point. There's nothing that I particularly liked, but I didn't much expect there to be given the situation. 

1 hour ago, N4L said:

It's funny, all of you disagreed with my post and then back tracked and gave all the reasons I was going to give about why he should get the benefit of the doubt.

Whoa whoa whoa, I'm on your team man. I'm team Trubs haha, I thought I was his biggest supporter on this forum for him. I'm not sure I back tracked at all really, I liked a more than I didn't like from his showing last night. 

People said his completion percentage was so high in college cause of bubble screens and the offense he was in. Not what I saw last night, saw a guy who was putting throws on the money with a live arm. While at UNC he didn't go through his reads or his or progressions very well but saw him do it multiple times last night both on the run and from the pocket. Even his TD pass that should have been picked I liked, not the throw itself so much, but the way he kept his eyes down the field and the improv he showed once outside the pocket scanning for his guys. His athleticism showed very well on those many boots, roll outs and escaping pressure in general. I mean Trubs out ran Hunter to the boundary of the field on a boot and was even able to turn up the field to pick up a few yards, and Hunter is a freak of nature. 

Now were all the pre-play reads and corrections made? Of course not, he's a rookie in his first ever game against a talented defense and highly thought of defensive minded HC. Did he manipulate the secondary with his eyes efficiently every play? Again, of course not, he's a rookie in his first game. Was every decision made the right one? Absolutely not.

But I didn't feel like I was watching a rookie QB in his first start in the NFL with only 13 starts made in college. I didn't see a guy wilt under the pressure or look unsure of himself or overwhelmed from minute 1 to 60. He didn't hold onto the ball paralyzed by the game moving too fast for him to comprehend what was going on around him. In fact I actually think he got rid of the ball quickly, confidently and most importantly accurately on many of his throws. 

I called it a meh game cause all in all that offense was pretty terrible to watch, not all on Trubs by any means, but he does touch the ball every play so he owns some of it. He made some poor decisions, passes and had his rookie hiccups but all in all I think his future is bright. When watching that game though there are still areas he has to work on, I've always liked Trubs so I think he will continue to improve there, but he didn't come out last night and light the world on fire, he didn't have 90% good and 10% bad, I'd probably put it closer to 60/40 which in my mind earns a "meh". Looking beyond this one performance though, he's a rookie making his first start against a tough defense and didn't implode or fall apart or look out of place and in fact impressed in some areas, that's got to be uplifting to Bears fans for sure.

So Kuechly entering concussion protocol again. Last year, he missed 10 games i think due to a concussion. He's had a considerable history of these. I wonder at what point he calls it a career. We know what this kind of abuse leads to down the line, and that has to be in his mind at some point. I feel like injuries have robbed us of three of the best off the ball linebackers I can remember in Willis, Bow and even Kuechly already, to an extent. 

19 minutes ago, StevenK said:

Martavis Bryant wants out. Any thoughts on him coming here? We need another weapon and he definitely brings some height and will be a red zone target. 

Absolutely, but theres no way I can see the steelers trading a 25 year old receiver with his potential. 

I'd send them Aldrick Robinson and a 3rd though. He's legit 

Screw Hue, seriously screw him. What the hell is he doing? You started Kizer for a reason and benched him for a reason. Why are you flip flopping so much? Did Kizer improve that much after a week on the bench? Keep him there for three to four weeks or don't bench him in the first place. 

Hue needs to go. 

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

Screw Hue, seriously screw him. What the hell is he doing? You started Kizer for a reason and benched him for a reason. Why are you flip flopping so much? Did Kizer improve that much after a week on the bench? Keep him there for three to four weeks or don't bench him in the first place. 

Hue needs to go. 

That is a horrible look for Hue Jackson. 

Archived