Around the NFL

Forge

1 hour ago, PapaShogun said:

If true that's a bad look for the 49ers.

I'm not really following either, why is that a bad look? We've had a history of players with off field issues and with our new regime, attempting to turn a new page and demonstrate a new front, couldn't really afford to allow him to stay and show that these problems still persist and plague this franchise. Once he was cleared I assume we said something like "Good, we're happy that your name has been cleared, we are not surprised having the relationship we've had with you throughout your career. You're an adult so we'll speak to you like one, this is a business, a business that recently that has been failing greatly and do not need anymore negative press or attention while we try to rebuild this once proud franchise. It's not that we didn't trust in you or believe you but we will not stand for that type of behavior anymore on this team and will not fail as past regimes did by playing ignorant. Now come home where you are greatly missed." If he buys it, which he didn't in some form or fashion, great if he doesn't we continue on course.

6 minutes ago, Fureys49ers said:

I'm not really following either, why is that a bad look? We've had a history of players with off field issues and with our new regime trying to turn a new page and demonstrate a new front they couldn't really afford to allow him to stay and show that these problems still persist and plague this franchise. Once he was cleared I assume we said something like "Good, we're happy for you that name has been cleared. You're an adult so we'll speak to you like one, this is a business, a business that recently that has been failing greatly and do not need anymore negative press or attention while we try to rebuild this once proud franchise. It's not that we didn't trust in you or believe you but we will not stand for that type of behavior anymore on this team and will not fail as past regimes did by playing ignorant. Now come home where you are greatly missed." If he buys it, which he didn't in some form or fashion, great if he doesn't we continue on course.

If I'm Brock that's hard to believe since you took my job away. It looks bad because (if true) the 49ers didn't wait to find out all the information. They simply got rid of him before further developments occurred, and according to the agent's claim came running back. Kyle Shanahan already stated that no one has been in contact with Brock. So someone is lying. 

I understand where you're coming from @PapaShogun but let's be honest, are we really taking what a players agent says at face value? I find myself a little skeptical when listening to agent talk. Regardless, little much will change now and I don't think this brings any negative press to our new regime as they were, what? 3 months in, on taking over a troubled and sinking ship and then had this placed at their door step knowing full well roster turnover was not only going to happen but neccesary.

24 minutes ago, Fureys49ers said:

I understand where you're coming from @PapaShogun but let's be honest, are we really taking what a players agent says at face value? I find myself a little skeptical when listening to agent talk. Regardless, little much will change now and I don't think this brings any negative press to our new regime as they were, what? 3 months in, on taking over a troubled and sinking ship and then had this placed at their door step knowing full well roster turnover was not only going to happen but neccesary.

Well yes, agents are going to back their players like Shanahan is going to back the 49ers. From what I've seen Lynch and Shanahan have both seem pretty straightforward. They didn't dance around the Vance McDonald situation at all. Brock's agent didn't name anyone from the 49ers who contacted him either. So who knows. If I had to put money on it, Lynch and Shanahan let Brock go and are just going to live with that decision, and not look back. However, if they did pick up the phone and start asking about Brock once he was off the hook (our secondary is hurting so we do need help) then that looks bad. It would make SF look desperate. 

According to PFF, Brock was a top 20 corner in the NFL in 2016. And that was on a very bad defense. Seattle, the best team in our division, just picked him up for essentially nothing. 

Unfortunately the Niners are that desperate for help in the secondary, and with the whole team in general. More than half of our team turn over, the past few years we've had, the complete regime swap, I'm not sure its a secret that we are desperate for talent being in the early early stages of a rebuild. I keep reading that Brock was ranked top 20 according to PFF but I seem to recall multiple times where Brock was beat for a big play and a good amount of TDs, I could definitely be wrong though. That same list also has Sean Smith ranked ahead of players like Xavier Rhodes, Richard Sherman and Marcus Peters. Either way I'm not sure Brock is the type of player that greatly improves that defense any, he's an above average CB for sure but the Seahawks legion of boom did not get significantly better with his addition or anything. Not saying we couldn't use him cause we definitely could but that's in part to our CB depth chart being so poor.

Interesting, I think, about the Rams:

- 2015 their first 7 picks were offensive players

-2016 their first 4 picks plus their 6th pick were offensive players

-2017 their first two plus their 4th pick were offensive players

- 2018 yep, already going to talk about 2018 because they've already traded their second pick for Watkins

-$40 million FA contract given to Robert Woods and $36 million for Andrew Whitworth

Don't think I've ever seen a team be so determined to build an offense.  You guys think they've done it?

11 hours ago, big9erfan said:

- 2018 yep, already going to talk about 2018 because they've already traded their second pick for Watkins

-$40 million FA contract given to Robert Woods and $36 million for Andrew Whitworth

Don't think I've ever seen a team be so determined to build an offense.  You guys think they've done it?

I think they are going to be vastly improved from last season. I also haven't completely given up on Goff like most seem to have. I think they're definitely a better team this season on both sides of the ball, with Wade Phillips being their biggest defensive pickup. 

12 hours ago, big9erfan said:

I think they cleared their biggest hurdle when they canned Fisher. I think the offense will be much better in the hands of McVay.  That being said, they will have to draft defense very shortly - I don't think their defensive unit is as good as it was a few years ago. Some guys have regressed and they've lost others through FA and the like. 

The part where it makes the team look bad is that they denied reaching out to Brock when his agent says otherwise. I don't think releasing him regardless if he was innocent or not (Dropped charges really don't prove anything) makes the team look bad. New regime and they want to put their foot down on the domestic violence issue. 

1 hour ago, Forge said:

I think they cleared their biggest hurdle when they canned Fisher. I think the offense will be much better in the hands of McVay.  That being said, they will have to draft defense very shortly - I don't think their defensive unit is as good as it was a few years ago. Some guys have regressed and they've lost others through FA and the like. 

Yeah.  WIth 15 out of their first 17 picks over the past three years going to offense and almost $80 million to two offensive FAs that doesn't leave much for the D.

Archived