Around the NFL

Forge

5 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

The part where it makes the team look bad is that they denied reaching out to Brock when his agent says otherwise. I don't think releasing him regardless if he was innocent or not (Dropped charges really don't prove anything) makes the team look bad. New regime and they want to put their foot down on the domestic violence issue. 

Ehhh...it really depends on the player. If it was Bowman would he have been released at the drop of a hat? At the end of the day these are football players, and a lot of them are knuckleheads. Unfortunately, a lot of the knuckleheads are some of the most talented players in the league. And it's a results-based business. No team is going to be completely wholesome or give everyone the same amount of leeway. Favorites will get more room to screw up. I hope the 49ers don't continue to have their integrity tested like the scenario I outlined, but I guess I just don't believe in a 100% no tolerance/put your foot down mantra no matter what team decides to preach it. Really, it's as simple as determining if the player is worth the blowback of whatever incident occurs. Morals? Nah, this is a business/PR decision. 

29 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

Ehhh...it really depends on the player. If it was Bowman would he have been released at the drop of a hat? At the end of the day these are football players, and a lot of them are knuckleheads. Unfortunately, a lot of the knuckleheads are some of the most talented players in the league. And it's a results-based business. No team is going to be %100 wholesome or give everyone the same amount of leeway. Favorites will get more room to screw up. I hope the 49ers don't continue to have their integrity tested like the scenario I outlined, but I guess I just don't believe in a 100% no tolerance/put your foot down mantra no matter what team decides to preach it. 

That's the part I don't agree with, there is no reason for those players to have those types of off field issues, and it really shouldn't be stood for. You say a lot of them are knuckleheads and lump all of them together as such. When in reality there are what...25 guys if that who have these issues. 25 out of the 1,696 players in the NFL, I got that number from multiplying 32 teams by 53 players and that doesn't even count guys on IR or PS which equates to a very small percentage of players in the NFL. Now as far as super stars or good players getting treated different or getting more leeway, that happens not only in the NFL but in almost every aspect of the world today, sad but it's true. 

In the past few years we've had Miller, McDonald, Brock with DV cases not to mention McDonald with his other issues, Aldon, Culliver and Dobbs. That I think all happened in a 5 year window, so the Niners made up a decent percentage of these knuckleheads. A message had to be sent by our new HC and GM.

2 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

Ehhh...it really depends on the player. If it was Bowman would he have been released at the drop of a hat? At the end of the day these are football players, and a lot of them are knuckleheads. Unfortunately, a lot of the knuckleheads are some of the most talented players in the league. And it's a results-based business. No team is going to be completely wholesome or give everyone the same amount of leeway. Favorites will get more room to screw up. I hope the 49ers don't continue to have their integrity tested like the scenario I outlined, but I guess I just don't believe in a 100% no tolerance/put your foot down mantra no matter what team decides to preach it. Really, it's as simple as determining if the player is worth the blowback of whatever incident occurs. Morals? Nah, this is a business/PR decision. 

Of course what you said is true. If Buckner or Thomas were accused of domestic violence, then they wouldn't have been released. It is a slippery slope in that way no doubt, but in the past we would have probably waited it out with Harbaugh. Shanny/Lynch did show unless you are one of the absolute best on the team, one slip up and you could be gone. How that works? Who knows but they are the first new regime to do something like this.

2 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

He is D-O-N-E........That is a talented roster all around but the terrible QB play will hold them back. Robinson or Hurns will explode one of these days with Bortles' inept play.

They should be a team that looks into Kaep. Dude is functioning better than Bortles by far at this point, Jax is a low key area, etc. But at this point, I don't see anything coming from Bortles. The back up is Henne, and that's definitely not great. He's a competent back up, but not a guy i want to entrust a potential playoff season to for the long haul. 

43 minutes ago, Forge said:

I wonder if Bortles even finishes the season as the Jags starter. He just looks broken and bad. Such a shame - that team has some legit talent everywhere else. 

I actually haven't thought Kap is the best fit for several of the spots that have been open recently.  But I think the Jags would be a good spot for him.  He would be a solid backup, and he could push Bortles for the starter spot, and I think probably win it.

Just saw a couple random articles where a beat writer for the Bills was guessing and saying he wouldn't be surprised if both Tyrod Taylor and Shady McCoy would be available for trade if the price was right. Now that probably doesn't mean much to us at all but I found it curious indeed. The Jets and Bills possibly going all in on the blow ups and rebuilds of their franchises.

Other rumors I read about possible trades was between us and the Broncos, apparently Lynch and Elway were discussing possible trades on a "wait and see how it plays out" basis. Obviously this pertains to us but I figured I'd just include here. Maybe the Broncos are inquiring about some of our DL depth seeing as how that was the weak part of their defense last year, specifically run stopping. I wonder what we may have been looking at, some back up CBs maybe, or WR?

20 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I will not be surprised at all if Mack is the starting RB for the Colts at some point during the season. Dude is legit. 

Hopefully next year after Gore has another 1k season at 34 and enters the top 5 in rushing history. 

On 8/19/2017 at 0:53 AM, Forge said:

They should be a team that looks into Kaep. Dude is functioning better than Bortles by far at this point, Jax is a low key area, etc. But at this point, I don't see anything coming from Bortles. The back up is Henne, and that's definitely not great. He's a competent back up, but not a guy i want to entrust a potential playoff season to for the long haul. 

Should have brought in Colin ages ago. Just to kick the tires. But they'd rather stick with Bortles/Henne and not even give into a sliver of hope with someone else. Pretty ridiculous. 

15 hours ago, Gore Whore 21 said:

Hopefully next year after Gore has another 1k season at 34 and enters the top 5 in rushing history. 

Yeah, another 1,000 yard season would be great for Gore but Mack may be too good to deny. Besides, this team may be really REALLY bad this season and they may hand the keys to the youngsters. 

On 8/19/2017 at 6:18 PM, J-ALL-DAY said:

I will not be surprised at all if Mack is the starting RB for the Colts at some point during the season. Dude is legit. 

Will always be interested in how he works out.  We traded our 4th and 5th to move up for Joe Williams.  Indy took mack with that pick we traded to them - and got Anthony Walker with the 5th.  Time will tell of course, but we might have got the worse end of that trade.

45 minutes ago, big9erfan said:

Will always be interested in how he works out.  We traded our 4th and 5th to move up for Joe Williams.  Indy took mack with that pick we traded to them - and got Anthony Walker with the 5th.  Time will tell of course, but we might have got the worse end of that trade.

The last time we made a draft day trade with the colts, they used the selection they got from us to draft TY Hilton. Maybe we are good luck for them in the draft lol. 

Archived