Around the NFL

Forge

Kizer was officially named the starter for the Browns. Good for him and good for them. Brock wasn't going to do anything, and they should be just counting the days until they can release him. Kessler was always going to be a decent back up quarterback and nothing more. This was the right move for them. They also have a nice offensive line, so he's not going to get killed back there, which is the thing I feel you need to be most worried about with your quarterbacks so that they don't get nervous back there (although Kizer holds on to the ball forever, sometimes, and will take quite a few unnecessary sacks, I'm sure). 

Kizer is going to have a looooootttt of rough moments in year one, but I love this move. I'm a big believer of his and by the end of the season I expect to see big improvements. 

Osweiler is just straight garbage. 

Kessler is okay, not a bad back up I guess. 

Theres talk that Miami is looking to move Jarvis Landry with the soon to be emergence of Parker as their WR 1 and the resigning of Stills this offseason. Even though he's a WR similar to what we have as far as size and thought to be usage his talent level is far superior to someone like Kerley or Robinson. I wonder what their asking price would be as he does only have one year on his contract left but is still relatively young. We have the money to throw at him next year though and would probably just need a bigger bodied WR to have a much more complete WR corps. Would also be nice to show any possible FA QBs that we have some weapons for them, or to give a rookie QB as many dependable options as we can get him.

Allen Hurns also believed to be available, offers a little different skill set being taller than 6' but it seems there are some options out there if we were so inclined.

I wish people were offering RTs and OGs this freely.

13 hours ago, ninerfanwheelz said:

Disgusts me to think about how much money this team is gonna throw at Kirk Cousins....

Don't care about money personally (besides it's not my money that is being spent). Whether it's through free agency or the draft, I want a franchise QB. The closest we had was a cup of coffee with Kaepernick. Before that, another cup of coffee with Garcia. The 49ers haven't had a perennial franchise QB since Steve Young. I just want a franchise QB. Don't give a **** how it's done. I mean Saints and Chargers suck, but at least their games aren't boring as **** because of Rivers/Brees.

And Cousins won't get a ton of money if he stinks it up this year. If he plays like he has been the last couple of seasons...well...I'm not sure what more he needs to do to prove himself. QB's with that kind of production just don't hit the open market. He's only going to another team because Washington is stupid. Notice how Detroit didn't even mess around and paid Stafford.

33 minutes ago, StevenK said:

Just saw that the Browns would like to trade Joe Haden. I wouldn't mind going after him, but I wonder what the Browns would like in return? 

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2730192-joe-haden-trade-rumors-browns-aggressively-trying-to-move-cb

The wheels have come off.  He's bad enough now to be a Steelers CB.

35 minutes ago, Castiron said:

The wheels have come off.  He's bad enough now to be a Steelers CB.

Agree with this. He's pretty bad now..or at least has been the prior couple of years from what I can remember. Plus that contract and what it would cost to obtain him (I think that they will want something more than I'd be willing to give. I think they are selling on his name and nothing more)

On 8/29/2017 at 5:50 AM, PapaShogun said:

Don't care about money personally (besides it's not my money that is being spent). Whether it's through free agency or the draft, I want a franchise QB. The closest we had was a cup of coffee with Kaepernick. Before that, another cup of coffee with Garcia. The 49ers haven't had a perennial franchise QB since Steve Young. I just want a franchise QB. Don't give a **** how it's done. I mean Saints and Chargers suck, but at least their games aren't boring as **** because of Rivers/Brees.

And Cousins won't get a ton of money if he stinks it up this year. If he plays like he has been the last couple of seasons...well...I'm not sure what more he needs to do to prove himself. QB's with that kind of production just don't hit the open market. He's only going to another team because Washington is stupid. Notice how Detroit didn't even mess around and paid Stafford.

Kirk Cousins is a middling QB, not a franchise QB. That's the problem. He doesn't elevate the talent around him, but rather has benefitted from a great OL and mismatches all over the field. If we find a good one, by all means, back up the Brinks truck

33 minutes ago, ninerfanwheelz said:

Kirk Cousins is a middling QB, not a franchise QB. That's the problem. He doesn't elevate the talent around him, but rather has benefitted from a great OL and mismatches all over the field. If we find a good one, by all means, back up the Brinks truck

Just because you have talent around doesn't mean you're going to play like a top 5 QB though. Which Cousins was last season (3rd in DYAR, 5th in DVOA). He certainly isn't a middling QB. That's Bryan Hoyer. Really, I'm not sure what you want Cousins to do? Will he only be validated if he plays with scrubs all year? Kind of like saying Steve Young was a fraud because his career success was in part to playing with guys like Rice, Taylor, Jones, Wallace, Barton, Oates, and Sappolu his entire career.

Cousins lost Desean Jackson and Garçon this year. So if he still has a similar output in production then I don't see how you can't be convinced that he can be a "franchise QB". If Kyle Shanahan is involved I'm not too concerned.

49ers need secondary help. Should go after him. Still pretty young. 

From what I hear, his contract made things difficult in getting to trade him. Won't be an issue now for his new team. I guess he was getting paid like a top ten corner, but wasn't producing. Also, injury history. 

He'll probably go to the Steelers. :(

1 hour ago, Forge said:

If he's looking to play for a contender, that removes us from the equation, though none of the beat writers have mentioned us being interested. 

That's why I wanted to trade for him, to take out the possibility of him wanting to go to a contender leaving us out of the race to acquire his services. Guess we'll look for other CBs after the big cut down date. 

As far as Cousins being a middling QB, that pretty laughable. I wouldn't call the Redskins OL great, they have a stud at LT and serviceable guys at other spots but they're no Raiders or Cowboys OL. He still has to throw the ball and make the reads to get the great stats he's compiled over the past two and a half years. He's had zero running game since taking over as a starter as well to help take pressure off him which is what I attribute the Redskins red zone troubles too. His biggest mismatch, Jordan Reed, has missed more than 20% of games in that stretch of Cousins being the starter and playing through injury in probably 50% of games. He's not a world beater or a guy I'd even put in the top 5, although he's still climbing, but I'd have no issue with calling him a top 10 QB in the NFL. I don't think it'll take a contract like Stafford's to bring him here either, I mean the guy just made over 50 mil the past the two years, I think he just wants to play some where that will put him in the best situation to be successful and have his back. I'd say the Niners organization and Shanahan check off those two boxes.

Archived