Around the NFL

Forge

14 hours ago, y2lamanaki said:

You are completely missing the point. 2004 is irrelevant entirely. Starters this year are also from the first rounds of 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2015, 2016, and possibly 2017 classes, so you don't need a stacked QB class. You just need to draft one. Starting-caliber QBs come out yearly. And yet some teams still struggle to find ones as good as Cousins. Hence, better examples to prove @Forge's point. 

2004 was a loaded draft class with three high profile QBs that were slated to go early. Four ended up going in that first round. That doesn't happen every year. Hence teams aren't going to take a first round QB every year when they can get someone slated to be there in round two. Even if they do, there are usually more than four teams looking for a franchise QB every year. Not all draft classes are the same though. Pretty relevant when you keep boxing in the "these teams didn't take a first round QB" rhetoric. Doesn't mean teams aren't invested in having a franchise QB because they took a guy beyond the first. Like Oakland with Carr, San Diego with Brees, Cincinnati with Dalton, or the 49ers with Kaepernick. Those teams at the time weren't looking for franchise QBs when they took those guys? It doesn't qualify in your world? 

5 hours ago, ninerfanwheelz said:

Brian Hoyer is a back-up QB, not a middling QB. And no, but he will be validated if he doesn't need to be bailed out by the talent he does have. I've watched every game he's ever played being from the DC area, he's just not consistently accurate enough.

I wish people would stop living and dying by box scores; I don't care about his "output in production." Cousins didn't play well at all vs Pittsburgh last year, for example, but due to their constant 3-man rushes, his box score stats looked great.

DYAR and DVOA doesn't measure box scores. At all really. 

If you believe Hoyer is strictly a backup QB, that' fine. Like Forge says it depends on you personally define "middling". I think max potential Hoyer can be average/middling. Maybe have a 1999 Steve Burelein year if he's really lucky. We shall see. 

8 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

2004 was a loaded draft class with three high profile QBs that were slated to go early. Four ended up going in that first round. That doesn't happen every year. Hence teams aren't going to take a first round QB every year when they can get someone slated to be there in round two. Even if they do, there are usually more than four teams looking for a franchise QB every year. Not all draft classes are the same though. Pretty relevant when you keep boxing in the "these teams didn't take a first round QB" rhetoric. Doesn't mean teams aren't invested in having a franchise QB because they took a guy beyond the first. Like Oakland with Carr, San Diego with Brees, Cincinnati with Dalton, or the 49ers with Kaepernick. Those teams at the time weren't looking for franchise QBs when they took those guys? It doesn't qualify in your world? 

No.

Wow, that Zeke suspension is turning into a total mess for the NFL. Apparently, according to Shefty, the lead investigator on the case recommended not suspension because there was too much ambiguity in the case to make anything clear cut. Instead of listening to that, Goodell apparently had a closed door meeting, that didn't include her, where they determined the punishment? Seems like they didn't really pay any attention to what her findings were at all? The NFL has to get a new discipline process in place. This has been a complete mess since the last CBA. This is something the players should fight for really hard next time.

@Forge I'm sure they will fight extremely hard at the expense of other, juicy negotiating points. 

If that is true, wow.

I've never understood why it took them over a year to suspend him. I also wonder how much/little kaepernick's situation has changed the process in which the league office handles cases like this. Not trying to start a political debate obviously but I'm sure the backlash they are facing right now puts the league in a tough position with future player relations. Just a thought 

2 hours ago, Chrissooner49er said:

If players would just be more careful about whom they 'hang out' with, none of this would be an issue. 

6 games is excessive, but no games at all would mean no lesson learned.

That's kind of not the point I was making. 

The point is that there is no rhyme or reason or specific disciplinary actions made by the NFL. There is no process for determining punishment - it's completely arbitrary. Like they spin a wheel. Josh Brown has multiple domestic violence issues with his wife, supposedly over 20 times, according to police. They had a journal where he admitted to abusing her, and he got one game. One. Zeke is in a situation where it's not even clear cut that he did anything (whether he did or not is beside the point, I'm not going to stand on a pulpit and advocate his innocence because truthfully I have no clue), or at least its ambiguous enough that the lead investigator recommended no punishment, yet he gets 6 times? The system needs to be improved on. They also tend to do things that are....sketchy I guess we can say...at best. You have a lead investigator investigate, give her recommendation, then don't give her the opportunity to share and defend her findings? Don't consider what she's saying and instead have a closed door meeting to dish out the suspension? It just seems far too often that Goodell is in that place where's he's like, "yeah, we are going to suspend him because I think he should be suspended". It's just a super flawed system. 

Jeremy McNichols cut from the Bucs. Very surprising, I really liked him as well as some others I believe. In my mind however it's pretty telling when he can't beat out Barber or Sims.

TJ Ward just got the ax from Broncos as well. Very interesting since he is only 30 and playing at a high level still. Apparently they feel really good with what's behind him and plan on saving some money. I would think Justin Simmons is first man up.

Archived