Saints exercise fifth-year option on Andrus Peat

Dome

METAIRIE, La. -- The New Orleans Saints exercised their fifth-year option on guard Andrus Peat on Friday -- an easy decision after the 2015 first-round pick has developed into a top-notch starter.

The projected value of the option is $9.625 million, according to ESPN’s Field Yates, who first reported the news.

http://www.espn.com/blog/new-orleans-saints/post/_/id/29853/saints-exercise-fifth-year-option-on-guard-andrus-peat

15 hours ago, domepatrol91 said:

Expected. 

Smart

Good versatile offensive lineman with youth on his side... I still believe that one day Peat could end up as our LT if Armstead cant kick the injury bug and the Saints view him and his salary as expendable. 

3 hours ago, ckoz24 said:

Happy how Peat developed. I think everyone was worried after first year or two.

I remember a few people were very impatient with his development at first. His rookie year only fueled that fire. I specifically remember one person calling it a wasted pick during his rookie preseason. 

Theres so much pressure for first rounders to perform immediately and I understand the urgency but Peat is a great example of why you really need to see a good sampling of some guys while they adjust. Especially considering  we bumped him around a couple positions before he settled at LG.

I’ve heard scouts say 30 pro games for a QB before you know what you’ve got, Peats no QB but some players just take a while.

I’d say most of us would’ve said Anthony looked “alright for a rookie” or something along those lines after his first year, but that’s where he peaked. Peat on the other hand looked like a bust after his rookie year, but 3 years in and we don’t even know what his ceiling is yet.

52 minutes ago, domepatrol91 said:

I remember a few people were very impatient with his development at first. His rookie year only fueled that fire. I specifically remember one person calling it a wasted pick during his rookie preseason. 

Theres so much pressure for first rounders to perform immediately and I understand the urgency but Peat is a great example of why you really need to see a good sampling of some guys while they adjust. Especially considering  we bumped him around a couple positions before he settled at LG.

I’ve heard scouts say 30 pro games for a QB before you know what you’ve got, Peats no QB but some players just take a while.

I’d say most of us would’ve said Anthony looked “alright for a rookie” or something along those lines after his first year, but that’s where he peaked. Peat on the other hand looked like a bust after his rookie year, but 3 years in and we don’t even know what his ceiling is yet.

Yeah, I mean, how much time did it take Strief to crack into the starting line up? 5ish years? They finally switched sides with him, and the rest is (super bowl) history.

6 minutes ago, Mid Iowa said:

Yeah, I mean, how much time did it take Strief to crack into the starting line up? 5ish years? They finally switched sides with him, and the rest is (super bowl) history.

Yup

Archived