High Risk High Reward Mock

Armsteeld2

RD1. UTSA OLB Marcus Davenport 6'6 264 4.54: Big time player from smaller conference.  Athletic specimen who needs work on his fundamentals but is a solid prospect.  Violent pass rusher with very strong hands.

RD2.  Fort Hays ST DE Nathan Shepherd 6'5 315 5.09:  Rotates along the defensive front.  His hands are outstanding!

RD3. USM Tarvarius Moore 6'2 190 4.32: Rare size and speed.  Needs to trust his eyes more.  Not a physically imposing guy.  Pure FS.

RD5. Wisconsin OLB Leon Jacobs 6'3 230 4.48: Scheme diverse.  Off ball LB who also plays from 2 point stance.  Interesting guy.

RD5. Florida St CB Tarvarus McFadden 6'2 198 4.67: Press man CB.  Maybe the best press jam CB in this class.  Speed isn't impressive.

RD7. New Mexico St RB Larry Rose III 5'11 195 4.42: Darren Sproles-like ability.  True mismatch weapon.  Caught 100 passes for 1,000 yards.  Runs WR type routes.  You'll love this guy.

RD7. LSU WR Russell Gage 6'0 189 4.42: WR who was used as a ST & gadget player.  Has great upside as a WR.  Under the radar type guy.

Cant say I know all the players that well, but I would fully support a draft like this, position wise.

However, I cant see the Steelers (or any other team) taking THAT many risks on small school guys.     Might draft one of them, but it would likely be in the later rounds.

10 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Cant say I know all the players that well, but I would fully support a draft like this, position wise.

However, I cant see the Steelers (or any other team) taking THAT many risks on small school guys.     Might draft one of them, but it would likely be in the later rounds.

Trying something new.  They’re all projects who if developed properly, can be allstars.

2 minutes ago, Armsteeld2 said:

Trying something new.  They’re all projects who if developed properly, can be allstars.

I get that....but as your mock says, its high risk, and I dont think any team would ever draft exclusively small school players, even if they all have nice potential.

Dont get me wrong....I appreciate something different in terms of mocks, but its not going to happen.  :ph34r:

7 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

I get that....but as your mock says, its high risk, and I dont think any team would ever draft exclusively small school players, even if they all have nice potential.

Dont get me wrong....I appreciate something different in terms of mocks, but its not going to happen.  :ph34r:

Of course it won’t.  That’s why mocks are fun to me because it gives me excitement thinking different ways the team can be tinkered with.  

Realistically I can see us drafting Davenport, Moore, McFadden, and Gage.  All are needs but they don’t have to be thrown into the fire so soon.

I dont think Davenport is around for our pick. Actually I could see Baltimore being interested in both him and or Taven Bryan. 

Also , I think Baltimore is the best destination for a 1 year contract for Dez. 

Wasnt too impressed with the kid from USM as I recall.

McFadden was soo disappointing, his effort and sluggishness were baffling. He didnt do anything to change minds at the combine either. 

6 minutes ago, JustPlainNasty said:

I dont think Davenport is around for our pick. Actually I could see Baltimore being interested in both him and or Taven Bryan. 

Also , I think Baltimore is the best destination for a 1 year contract for Dez. 

Wasnt too impressed with the kid from USM as I recall.

McFadden was soo disappointing, his effort and sluggishness were baffling. He didnt do anything to change minds at the combine either. 

Moore is a Sparq type player that the Steelers love.  He is similar to Bates except he’s bigger and faster.  

With Batimore taking Correa, Tim Williams, and the guy from the Houston Cougars, I’m hoping they don’t go OLB again.  I can see them taking Rashaan Evans.

McFadden 2017 was atrocious.  2016 McFadden was a beast.  What happened that caused such a drastic change in his play?  That’s why I’m taking him in the 5th and trying to rebuild that swag back into him.  He’s definitely not a speedy CB but his press and redirect is almost perfect.

13 minutes ago, Armsteeld2 said:

Moore is a Sparq type player that the Steelers love.  He is similar to Bates except he’s bigger and faster.  

With Batimore taking Correa, Tim Williams, and the guy from the Houston Cougars, I’m hoping they don’t go OLB again.  I can see them taking Rashaan Evans.

McFadden 2017 was atrocious.  2016 McFadden was a beast.  What happened that caused such a drastic change in his play?  That’s why I’m taking him in the 5th and trying to rebuild that swag back into him.  He’s definitely not a speedy CB but his press and redirect is almost perfect.

Normally Id  just figure McFadden was too slow for corner in reality and think he could try safety, but his play was soo sluggish and at times seemed to have little heart. 

2 hours ago, Armsteeld2 said:

Of course it won’t.  That’s why mocks are fun to me because it gives me excitement thinking different ways the team can be tinkered with.  

Realistically I can see us drafting Davenport, Moore, McFadden, and Gage.  All are needs but they don’t have to be thrown into the fire so soon.

Fair enough, and I pretty much agree.   Just nitpicking, I guess.

However, as Ive mentioned countless times....we are in "win now" mode until Ben retires.     IMO, we should be focusing on our most immediate needs and trying to find players that can contribute IMMEDIATELY.    

3 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Fair enough, and I pretty much agree.   Just nitpicking, I guess.

However, as Ive mentioned countless times....we are in "win now" mode until Ben retires.     IMO, we should be focusing on our most immediate needs and trying to find players that can contribute IMMEDIATELY.    

Each player can contribute now.  Yes they have their flaws but even still they can help the team win.  This upcoming draft will be very interesting as the Steelers can go any direction.  

Definitely risk filled.  Davenport reminds me so much of Ansah (who I wanted so bad at the time) that I really wouldn't mind drafting him.

Shepard and Moore are the two flips for me.  Shepard has awesome instincts and ability, but physically isn't the most gifted player.  Moore is physically very gifted, but his instincts and ability are subpar.  Of the two I rather have Shepard.

Jacob is ok, but lacks in a few ways.  You hit it with McFadden and might end up a SS in the NFL.  Love Rose and Gage, but I rather make them priority UDFA's than draft them.

42 minutes ago, Armsteeld2 said:

Each player can contribute now.  Yes they have their flaws but even still they can help the team win.  This upcoming draft will be very interesting as the Steelers can go any direction.  

Well, Id definitely take your draft over any draft that has us taking a RB or WR early....but I wont be shocked if it happens.

2 hours ago, warfelg said:

Definitely risk filled.  Davenport reminds me so much of Ansah (who I wanted so bad at the time) that I really wouldn't mind drafting him.

Shepard and Moore are the two flips for me.  Shepard has awesome instincts and ability, but physically isn't the most gifted player.  Moore is physically very gifted, but his instincts and ability are subpar.  Of the two I rather have Shepard.

Jacob is ok, but lacks in a few ways.  You hit it with McFadden and might end up a SS in the NFL.  Love Rose and Gage, but I rather make them priority UDFA's than draft them.

Jacob is a hard read.  He plays OLB but also as a down DE.  His agility is ok but his awareness in man defense is solid.  He struggles at times turning the corner but he sets the edge well.

McFadden ran a 4.58 at his pro day.  Some scorn at pro day times but TM isn’t a burner.  He is better at Zone specifically Cover 2.  

@mathbomb (Twitter) does these athletic profiles where he measures athleticism.  It’s a tool that I use along with the tape.  I like a guy that plays fast rather than a guy that times fast.  

Here is the profile for Nathan Shepherd:

DaydiZPWAAAyKeh?format=jpg

18 hours ago, Armsteeld2 said:

RD1. UTSA OLB Marcus Davenport 6'6 264 4.54: Big time player from smaller conference.  Athletic specimen who needs work on his fundamentals but is a solid prospect.  Violent pass rusher with very strong hands.

I could get on board with this guy for sure.  Haven't watched him a lot but he checks the boxes.  

RD2.  Fort Hays ST DE Nathan Shepherd 6'5 315 5.09:  Rotates along the defensive front.  His hands are outstanding!

Seems awfully early to be taking a 3rd DE when the 2 we have are studs and being paid a LOT.  His #s don't scream NT.  

RD3. USM Tarvarius Moore 6'2 190 4.32: Rare size and speed.  Needs to trust his eyes more.  Not a physically imposing guy.  Pure FS.

I think this guy sucks.  I watched the FSU game the other day, and he was a 7th rounder at best.  

RD5. Wisconsin OLB Leon Jacobs 6'3 230 4.48: Scheme diverse.  Off ball LB who also plays from 2 point stance.  Interesting guy.

Never really noticed this guy.  I read up on him and I like the 4.48 speed at LB though.  Seems to be more of a Shazier type ILB and not an edge rusher due to his size.  Could he play inside?  I might have to check him out some time.  I have been looking for some more dynamic LBs with range.  

RD5. Florida St CB Tarvarus McFadden 6'2 198 4.67: Press man CB.  Maybe the best press jam CB in this class.  Speed isn't impressive.

He's a dud to me.  I thought he was good last year but he looked like a steaming pile of trash this year.  

RD7. New Mexico St RB Larry Rose III 5'11 195 4.42: Darren Sproles-like ability.  True mismatch weapon.  Caught 100 passes for 1,000 yards.  Runs WR type routes.  You'll love this guy.

Never watched him but your description checks the boxes of a guy to pair with Conner if Bell walks.  That's what I'm looking for.....a fast, receiving back to pair with Conner's power back skillset.  

RD7. LSU WR Russell Gage 6'0 189 4.42: WR who was used as a ST & gadget player.  Has great upside as a WR.  Under the radar type guy.

Typical LSU guy.  Crap QB, so is a potential steal.  I wouldn't mind it.  You all know I think the WRs need an overhaul for depth.

Archived