Home Improvement/Remodel Thread

smetana34

On 6/14/2019 at 12:37 PM, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Over the past few days I've discovered that the hardest part of owning a small yard (my grass area is roughly 400sq feet) is that it's almost impossible to find a single sprinkler that can cover that area without either shooting into my neighbor's yard, or being too small.

Is this an in-ground sprinkler or just one you set in the yard and run off a hose?

If the latter, i would think you could just barely crack the valve to regulate the flow. 

You'll have trouble regardless though, unless your lawn is the exact right shape.  In the place i lived in about 10 years ago, my neighbors sprinklers oversprayed into my yard.  I didn't mind.  Those areas were much nicer than the rest.

55 minutes ago, theJ said:

Is this an in-ground sprinkler or just one you set in the yard and run off a hose?

If the latter, i would think you could just barely crack the valve to regulate the flow. 

You'll have trouble regardless though, unless your lawn is the exact right shape.  In the place i lived in about 10 years ago, my neighbors sprinklers oversprayed into my yard.  I didn't mind.  Those areas were much nicer than the rest.

It's the latter. I can't get an irrigation system because the cost of installing it would be astronomical compared to spending $20 on a sprinkler head and $25 on a hose.

But I finally got something that can hit the whole yard nicely and not shoot over the fence into my neighbors' small yards as well. Now I just have to fix the leak in my water valve or replace it because right now when we leave the water on all night, the next morning we come out and the damn thing fills like 1/2 a gallon of water overnight.

2 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Now I just have to fix the leak in my water valve or replace it because right now when we leave the water on all night, the next morning we come out and the damn thing fills like 1/2 a gallon of water overnight.

Is the valve body itself leaking (usually around the stem)?  Or just around the threads?

Should be an easy project.  Just don't forget to the turn the water off at the main somewhere.

Kitchen remodel is done. Painting cabinets is actually fairly easy and will save you over ten thousand dollars as long as you're able to. It's insane what brown vs white does to a space. We made solid choices. Wish I could've done more of it on my own but I tap on computers for a living and don't possess the skills or confidence to take on such a task although it doesn't seem like it's that hard.

• Like 2

On 6/21/2019 at 10:29 AM, theJ said:

Is the valve body itself leaking (usually around the stem)?  Or just around the threads?

Should be an easy project.  Just don't forget to the turn the water off at the main somewhere.

Around the stem is where I've noticed it. I'm going to Home Depot today to get a new valve. I think that's a better investment than spending an equal amount of money trying to tape or putty the valve itself.

And yes shutting off the main water is what I'm most nervous about since I've never done that at my place yet lol

1 hour ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Around the stem is where I've noticed it. I'm going to Home Depot today to get a new valve. I think that's a better investment than spending an equal amount of money trying to tape or putty the valve itself.

And yes shutting off the main water is what I'm most nervous about since I've never done that at my place yet lol

If it's coming out of the stem, you're only choice is a valve replacement.  They're not made to be rebuilt.

When you shut off the water, bleed out the extra pressure with a sink.  Then you'll know for sure the water is actually off because the water flow should stop completely.  If it's still going (even slowly), then your main shutoff valve is bad.

On 17/05/2019 at 7:15 AM, vike daddy said:

don't fall off.

but seriously, kids... we use "roof jacks" and "roof jack boards" to establish both a level 2x6 plane to work off of, and to store bundles of shingles while applying. the nails holding the jacks go under a flap of the shingles and remain in the roof when the jack is removed.

aeo40g.jpg 33e0eme.jpg

This seems a lot safer than what i did.  Didn't want to start ripping up shingles to fix a handful of random shingles.

Plus side...you can see a lot of stuff from up there.

Sorry i didn't take ya'lls advice on steep roofs.

On 6/10/2019 at 8:53 AM, theJ said:

Double post!

My next set of projects includes:

• Fixing the drywall i had to remove in order to fish the wire for the above post
  • Mounting some bike hoists in the garage to clear some floor space
  • Removing a built in dog kennel in the garage to clear some more floor space
  • Putting the kids play set back together with a new rope bridge, monkey bar set, and fireman's pole
  • Installing a dehumidifier in the crawl space
  • Installing new 10 mil vapor barrier in the crawl space

I'm sure there will be more.  June is going to be busy (those last 2 will really suck).

Just checkin in on ya @theJ....you still alive?

22 hours ago, Hockey5djh said:

Just checkin in on ya @theJ....you still alive?

Lol.  Yeah, but barely.  Between taking a new job at work, settling in at the new place, taking care of two properties, two softball leagues and the list above - i'm not getting much done.

#3 is done, and #4 is partially done.  Maybe i'll be done with this by September haha.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, theJ said:

Lol.  Yeah, but barely.  Between taking a new job at work, settling in at the new place, taking care of two properties, two softball leagues and the list above - i'm not getting much done.

#3 is done, and #4 is partially done.  Maybe i'll be done with this by September haha.

I always find that when I make project lists that aren't just simple tasks it ALWAYS takes longer than you think just because you can't find the time.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hockey5djh said:

I always find that when I make project lists that aren't just simple tasks it ALWAYS takes longer than you think just because you can't find the time.

Same.

It helps a little to make a list that breaks the larger projects into smaller chunks.  But it's still hard to start.

In actuality, i've been getting a lot done.  I've been keeping a list on Google Keep since about mid-May, and have 66 items checked as complete.  Just not the ones i posted :) 

• Like 1

My project list for this year is "clean up the back yard"

Now, that may be cheating because clean up the back-yard consists of:

Moving the shed from one side of the yard into the back corner - Completed
Move the stone from under the shed to make a "patio" in the front" - Completed
Take out the outside edge of weeds and hit it with the rototiller
Move the Arbor Vaites (sp?) along the back fence line
Rip out the ground bushes (not sure what the heck they are) around the tree in the back
Bring in top soil to level out areas
Seed the new topsoil
Expand the Patio?

I've known this list since the beginning of the year and it's almost July and I'm 25% of the way in but with a new kid its tough to find the time to do stuff.

• Like 1

Moved into our new house in October. Getting engaged and due to be married in 1.5 weeks and having a new puppy have left little time to do much on the house. It is an older house (built in 1920) with 2 bedrooms, an office, 2 baths, unfinished basement and 2 rooms in a finished attic. So far, what we have done:

• painted all except 1 room (we were waiting until the master was finished)
  • took down play set
  • fixed up front/back yard (figure out which plants were weeds, move some bushes, move decorative rocks around for a more clean look)
  • tore up carpeting in master and sanded/refinished floors
  • update some outlets
  • new bed/mattress and rug for master
  • hardwire internet to living room and master (office to be done after the wedding due to guests staying)
  • limit leaking water to unfinished basement
  • replace back porch light with dusk to dawn light

It has come along slower than I would like, but I feel better about it seeing/typing this list. Last thing I am doing before the wedding is moving (or adding) an outlet to above the fireplace where the TV in the master will be mounted to minimize wires running everywhere.