smetana34

3 hours ago, Hockey5djh said:

My project list for this year is "clean up the back yard"

Now, that may be cheating because clean up the back-yard consists of:

Moving the shed from one side of the yard into the back corner - Completed
Move the stone from under the shed to make a "patio" in the front" - Completed
Take out the outside edge of weeds and hit it with the rototiller
Move the Arbor Vaites (sp?) along the back fence line
Rip out the ground bushes (not sure what the heck they are) around the tree in the back
Bring in top soil to level out areas
Seed the new topsoil
Expand the Patio?

I've known this list since the beginning of the year and it's almost July and I'm 25% of the way in but with a new kid its tough to find the time to do stuff.

Your post made me feel better.  @skywlker32 made me feel worse.

• Like 1

Looks like the reno bug has officially bit my wife. Kitchen done now there's more she wants to do. This will have to wait b/c we're not made of dollars but figured it'd be a good idea to start asking questions. We have a small front porch that is concrete and will be going over it. Don't want to use wood. What experience do y'all have w/ composite decking? What are the cheaper solutions? I know Trex can be fairly expensive. I've done some light search for competitors but figured  I'd just post here to see if anyone had recommendations.

59 minutes ago, JTagg7754 said:

What experience do y'all have w/ composite decking?

we installed Trex in back in 2004 and it has taken a daily beating of high traffic, serious sun and salt air in Southern Cal like a champ.
We did not stain/paint it
There are a couple of blemishes, but after 15 years we're still happy with the purchase.
I'd think the composites are way better now and there's lots more choices...good luck on the project.

Edited by Shanedorf
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Shanedorf said:

we installed Trex in back in 2004 and it has taken a daily beating of high traffic, serious sun and salt air in Southern Cal like a champ.
We did not stain/paint it
There are a couple of blemishes, but after 15 years we're still happy with the purchase.
I'd think the composites are way better now and there's lots more choices...good luck on the project.

Good info and kinda what I expected to hear. Thanks!

composite decking is a very good material to use, particularly for its longevity. it doesn't have to be the actual product made by Trex, as there are many other options out there now. there are also many very cheap composite options out there too, which should be avoided.

also, look in to hidden fastener systems for attachment, they're worth it.

• Like 1

On 6/27/2019 at 10:11 AM, skywlker32 said:

Moved into our new house in October. Getting engaged and due to be married in 1.5 weeks and having a new puppy have left little time to do much on the house. It is an older house (built in 1920) with 2 bedrooms, an office, 2 baths, unfinished basement and 2 rooms in a finished attic. So far, what we have done:

• painted all except 1 room (we were waiting until the master was finished)
  • took down play set
  • fixed up front/back yard (figure out which plants were weeds, move some bushes, move decorative rocks around for a more clean look)
  • tore up carpeting in master and sanded/refinished floors
  • update some outlets
  • new bed/mattress and rug for master
  • hardwire internet to living room and master (office to be done after the wedding due to guests staying)
  • limit leaking water to unfinished basement
  • replace back porch light with dusk to dawn light

It has come along slower than I would like, but I feel better about it seeing/typing this list. Last thing I am doing before the wedding is moving (or adding) an outlet to above the fireplace where the TV in the master will be mounted to minimize wires running everywhere.

Got the new outlet installed with little issue. Mounted the TV (after some issues) above the non-working fireplace and finished the wiring to connect the living room and master TVs (can watch the same thing on both, running off one media center that can be controlled via phone). Planning to work on more outlets between tonight and Thursday before my groomsmen get in (staying in our guest room/office). Would like to finish the outlets/light switches, but it may be unreasonable time-wise.

On 7/2/2019 at 1:21 PM, skywlker32 said:

Got the new outlet installed with little issue. Mounted the TV (after some issues) above the non-working fireplace and finished the wiring to connect the living room and master TVs (can watch the same thing on both, running off one media center that can be controlled via phone). Planning to work on more outlets between tonight and Thursday before my groomsmen get in (staying in our guest room/office). Would like to finish the outlets/light switches, but it may be unreasonable time-wise.

I ended up getting our guest rooms done with switches and outlets before my groomsmen got in for the weekend. I was figuring that our project list would be pretty small for a little bit post-wedding, but we apparently have very generous family and friends. Next project is probably back-splash under all the kitchen cabinets and then the spray in insulation before winter hits. Might look into getting a few new windows here and there too (and at least one new storm door), but we'll see. Also have to fix the side door that goes into the basement that leaks and is tough to open/close.

An investor/real estate agent wants to put in 15k in renovations to my place thinking it'll get 30k back when I sell it (which I'll probably do next spring). So he'll get his 15k back + I assume maybe another small fee on top of it, plus his 3% for the sale. 

6 minutes ago, freak_of_nature said:

An investor/real estate agent wants to put in 15k in renovations to my place thinking it'll get 30k back when I sell it (which I'll probably do next spring). So he'll get his 15k back + I assume maybe another small fee on top of it, plus his 3% for the sale. 

Makes me leery.  I'd read whatever contract he puts in front of you very carefully.  What if you don't get the 30k back?  Who's on the hook for those lost dollars?  Who's funding it?

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, theJ said:

Makes me leery.  I'd read whatever contract he puts in front of you very carefully.  What if you don't get the 30k back?  Who's on the hook for those lost dollars?  Who's funding it?

He'd get the amount of money he invested in the property back + his 3% commission, regardless. He says he typically puts 10k-15k in the property he sells as the real estate agent. 

7 hours ago, freak_of_nature said:

huh? he's willing to invest 15K of his own money so to make 3% on the extra amount of the sale? that's only $450 over what he'd make selling the house as is right now.

me no understand...

• Like 2

8 hours ago, vike daddy said:

huh? he's willing to invest 15K of his own money so to make 3% on the extra amount of the sale? that's only $450 over what he'd make selling the house as is right now.

me no understand...

Yeah i'm thinking there's something missing here too.

• Like 1