Home Improvement/Remodel Thread

smetana34

Taking down some chain link fence the past few days. Good hand and arm workout, getting close to having the link part off though, probably two more days. I haven't been working at it all that long per day, otherwise I could be done with it already. It's an old fence, so it's a bit of work getting it down, and I'm curious to figure out how much work it is going to be pulling the two posts out that need to get removed.

• Like 1

On 7/18/2018 at 9:52 PM, Malfatron said:

has anyone had septic system problems?

if so, what was the cause?

im trying to anticipate issues early

@vike daddy laid out the typical problem.  Trees roots can also damage a system really badly.  My parents mistakenly planted a tree right over the septic system.  15 years later a tree root blocked the inlet pipe to the tank, and you can guess what happened next.

So don't do that.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, flyers0909 said:

Anyone have recommendations for a solid budget electric weed wacker?  Just moved into a new apartment that has a small backyard that I'm responsible for.  It's kind of a mess back there so it needs to have some decent power but nothing too crazy. 

Electric or no? I bought a refurbed B&D on eBay a few years ago for like $20. Still going strong. 

EDIT: Just checked, nothing there. I'd just look at CL TBH.

Edited by JTagg7754
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, JTagg7754 said:

Electric or no? I bought a refurbed B&D on eBay a few years ago for like $20. Still going strong. 

EDIT: Just checked, nothing there. I'd just look at CL TBH.

Yeah I was just thinking of a battery powered one.  It'll probably take me like 15 minutes at most to do the backyard.  Good call on CL, I'll check there. 

i have all ryobi battery powered yard equipment. have lawnmower, weed whacker, edger, rottatiller, pole saw, chain saw, etc. love that it all runs off the 40v or 18v battery. works so well. never having to worry about gas or keeping gas in the house is the best. 

ive cut down an entire tree down with that chainsaw, it's pretty dang powerful for battery

Edited by SimsZilla

1 hour ago, SimsZilla said:

i have all ryobi battery powered yard equipment. have lawnmower, weed whacker, edger, rottatiller, pole saw, chain saw, etc. love that it all runs off the 40v or 18v battery. works so well. never having to worry about gas or keeping gas in the house is the best. 

ive cut down an entire tree down with that chainsaw, it's pretty dang powerful for battery

I have the EGO blower, mower, and chainsaw. I'm impressed with them as well. All products run off of their 56V battery.

This is not really a home improvement thing, but someone nicely asked if they could cut down one of my Maple trees so that the city can put up a neon sign in the next lot that would be blocked by my tree. They would take care of taking it out, but I'm not sure if I would get paid anything.

I actually really like this tree and it's the only part of my yard that actually looks decent.i think I'll probably try to keep it, just curious what people's thoughts are and if you'd ask for a certain price for it

22 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

This is not really a home improvement thing, but someone nicely asked if they could cut down one of my Maple trees so that the city can put up a neon sign in the next lot that would be blocked by my tree. They would take care of taking it out, but I'm not sure if I would get paid anything.

I actually really like this tree and it's the only part of my yard that actually looks decent.i think I'll probably try to keep it, just curious what people's thoughts are and if you'd ask for a certain price for it

What’s the sign gonna say? Tell them they can remove the tree if you get to pick the sign.

Honestly I’d tell them no, but you might be surprised with the offer they make if they’re willing to pay.