Home Improvement/Remodel Thread

smetana34

17 hours ago, TENINCH said:

Hey guy I have an Electric Heater for my house. Filter is good and I'm pretty sure the thermostat is working. It's blows but I can't get hot air to come out. The "bulbs" turn red but turn off right away. Any ideas??

It could be something with the safety switch on it which is making it cut off like you described.

On 9/21/2018 at 11:03 AM, TENINCH said:

Do the rototiller anyways. It's manly and the wife will appreciate it!

On 9/23/2018 at 10:14 PM, SimsZilla said:

i really like laying the seed then laying a small layer of dirt or something over it, if you arent doing a very large area (my yard is small). I've used that Scotts Easy Seed Stuff too, that works fantastic. lots of options you can do 

Update: i ended up spraying some of that crap that @SimsZilla recommended.  It didn't kill a single weed haha, and i'm not sure that any of the weed killer actually left the bottle.  But i didn't let that stop me.  I persevered.  

I cut the grass/weeds as short as i could with the mower, then overseeded, and raked the seed down.  Watered it religiously, and up came the grass about a week later.  It looks pretty good.  Still a few thin spots, but much better than it looked previously. 

I'll probably do a little more overseeding in the spring, and also buy some of the dry type weed killer/fertilizer.  I think i've been turned off to the bottles you hook up to the hose.

On 10/23/2018 at 6:10 PM, TENINCH said:

Hey guy I have an Electric Heater for my house. Filter is good and I'm pretty sure the thermostat is working. It's blows but I can't get hot air to come out. The "bulbs" turn red but turn off right away. Any ideas??

My heater has a manual that runs through some troubleshooting steps.  Do you have something similar?

First thing i'd do is disconnect power, then reconnect and try again.  If that fails, there may be some points on the circuit board you can bypass/play around with with a multimeter (with the help of your manual) that could help diagnose.

As @Incarcerated_Scarface said, it's probably some type of safety switch that's malfunctioning. But hard to tell without a lot more information.

7 minutes ago, theJ said:

Update: i ended up spraying some of that crap that @SimsZilla recommended.  It didn't kill a single weed haha, and i'm not sure that any of the weed killer actually left the bottle.  But i didn't let that stop me.  I persevered.  

I cut the grass/weeds as short as i could with the mower, then overseeded, and raked the seed down.  Watered it religiously, and up came the grass about a week later.  It looks pretty good.  Still a few thin spots, but much better than it looked previously. 

I'll probably do a little more overseeding in the spring, and also buy some of the dry type weed killer/fertilizer.  I think i've been turned off to the bottles you hook up to the hose.

that's weird. sorry it didnt work haha, it worked really well for my yard lol. im glad the seeding worked though! i need to add a ton of grass seed next year. mine came in pretty good but like you said, a little thin in some areas

1 minute ago, SimsZilla said:

that's weird. sorry it didnt work haha, it worked really well for my yard lol. im glad the seeding worked though! i need to add a ton of grass seed next year. mine came in pretty good but like you said, a little thin in some areas

Nah it's alright.  I think the bottle might have been defective or something.  What's frustrating with those bottles is that the water goes directly into the bottle, so you can't tell if any of the actual weed killer is coming out. 

When i went to the store i saw the bottles and i also saw the bags of granules.  I should have just grabbed the bags, because i can actually tell how much of that i'm laying down with the broadcaster.  Oh well, live and learn.  

Primary reason for doing all this is to make the lawn look really good for next summer.  We'll be trying to sell the house, and a nice lawn can definitely help sell it.

Anyone here use a camera system for their house? I would like to put something in that would have limited subscription fees and has a doorbell of some sort to connect into the system. I had looked at Nest/Ring, but the subscription fees were higher and the Ring doorbell misses too much. I looked at Arlo, but the cameras are expensive and I've heard a lot of people have issues with them going offline regularly.

The best I can find at the moment, I think, is the Wisenet system with bullet cameras and some seemed to indicate that the doorbell camera can integrate with the DVR Systems.

Anyone have experience with this system or a similar system?

3 hours ago, theJ said:

Nah it's alright.  I think the bottle might have been defective or something.  What's frustrating with those bottles is that the water goes directly into the bottle, so you can't tell if any of the actual weed killer is coming out. 

When i went to the store i saw the bottles and i also saw the bags of granules.  I should have just grabbed the bags, because i can actually tell how much of that i'm laying down with the broadcaster.  Oh well, live and learn.  

Primary reason for doing all this is to make the lawn look really good for next summer.  We'll be trying to sell the house, and a nice lawn can definitely help sell it.

Yeah I think people underestimate the value of s good yard when selling a house. 

• 1 month later...
48 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

as in, what do you need to know?

and how big of a bay, one for vehicles or the mechanics' hands?

It’s big enough to wash my 4020, skid loaders, and my payloader. 

More of which how I should set up my pits. I basically have to have 3 pits so I can tie into the sewer. Sludge, oil, and water, I’m basically making a little 3:1 sloped pit that will have a drain on one end...

im just worried about my pits plugging up on me, just wondering what you can do stop that all my pits are tied into by 4 inch pvc, but a screen I think will just plug up my pvc, I thought about maybe just putting a T in and having it vertically set so the water would be able to run in but I’m not sure if that will work also

On ‎10‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 12:29 PM, skywlker32 said:

Anyone here use a camera system for their house? I would like to put something in that would have limited subscription fees and has a doorbell of some sort to connect into the system. I had looked at Nest/Ring, but the subscription fees were higher and the Ring doorbell misses too much. I looked at Arlo, but the cameras are expensive and I've heard a lot of people have issues with them going offline regularly.

The best I can find at the moment, I think, is the Wisenet system with bullet cameras and some seemed to indicate that the doorbell camera can integrate with the DVR Systems.

Anyone have experience with this system or a similar system?

@skywlker32 I used to have Comcast security when it was discounted with the move into a new house. I haven't bought or hooked it up yet but I've read good things about the Amcrest system and you can get a good one for under $300 with no subscription