Home Improvement/Remodel Thread

smetana34

Had a fun time the last few days bleeding radiators and then getting the pressure back up to where it should be. Now I have to figure out how open each radiator should be to get the house balanced as nicely as possible for temp, right now the upstairs is too warm for me in the bedroom, but the other rooms aren't bad.

On 12/10/2018 at 6:27 PM, Forge said:

Has anyone ever turned a workshop or garage or something along those lines into an actual, habitable guest house? I'm wondering what I could be looking at price wise. 

the first hard part is getting water to it, and sewer out of it.

concrete floor? close to existing water and sewer?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

ok then, not bad. running electrical power to not an obstacle?

what's the size of the building?

Electric is already there and operational. I'm not sure about the exact size,  have to find the appraisal it inspection, but say around 600-700 sqft. 

8 hours ago, Forge said:

Electric is already there and operational. I'm not sure about the exact size,  have to find the appraisal it inspection, but say around 600-700 sqft. 

ok, so what's your main question, how much to budget for the renovation?

how finished is the building now? (insulated? sheetrock on walls? unfinished?) what is your vision for what the final building will be? its own kitchen and bathroom?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

ok, so what's your main question, how much to budget for the renovation?

how finished is the building now? (insulated? sheetrock on walls? unfinished?) what is your vision for what the final building will be? its own kitchen and bathroom?

Pretty much (budget). We can do some basic stuff (flooring), but yeah, we want it to be an independent guest house. Toilet/ shower, kitchenette (so minor cabinetry)

Needs insulation I'm pretty sure, though I'll be honest, not 100%. Walls are basic drywall, haven't looked inside. Needs heat of some sort (cooling can be a wall unit, so no biggie there). 

2 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

lots of factors to consider, but a price tag of a healthy 30K comes to mind for me. what are you hoping to spend?

Believe it or not, 30k was about the amount I figured and was aiming for. We know we won't get full value back at resale, but we don't have plans to leave, and we have a few options available to get good use out of converting it. 

Really appreciate all the input man

• Like 1

On 8/25/2018 at 5:47 PM, vikesfan89 said:

This is not really a home improvement thing, but someone nicely asked if they could cut down one of my Maple trees so that the city can put up a neon sign in the next lot that would be blocked by my tree. They would take care of taking it out, but I'm not sure if I would get paid anything.

I actually really like this tree and it's the only part of my yard that actually looks decent.i think I'll probably try to keep it, just curious what people's thoughts are and if you'd ask for a certain price for it

Just to follow up to this. I said no and they said they'd figured something out. Well they ended up putting the sign up anyways and I'm not sure what they were worried about. It's more visible from my side than the other side

I can read it from my guest room which is cool

On 12/16/2018 at 1:59 AM, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Anyone have any recommendations on under-cabinet lighting? I bought some tonight but they're the kind that you have to screw in the brackets and the screws WILL NOT penetrate my cabinet wood, so I think I have to go a different route.

Late to this party, but either buy matching wood screws or pre-drill so the screws will go in. 

Predilling is recommending in either case so you don't crack your cabinets, even if the chances of that are low. 

On 12/22/2018 at 4:13 PM, theJ said:

Late to this party, but either buy matching wood screws or pre-drill so the screws will go in. 

Predilling is recommending in either case so you don't crack your cabinets, even if the chances of that are low. 

also have you tried just the LED tape looking lights? they just adhere with like a mounting tape type thing. very bright

So i wake up and my Nest thermostat says that it's  not getting power to the Rc wire, which is weird since it worked at like 6am. so try troubleshooting and go downstairs and notice the blower in the furnace is running, but not the heat. Error Code 33 is what it says. I will say im glad its 55 here today in michigan, but kind of frustrating bc it's my day off and i have a lot to do. and i don't know much if anything about furnaces...so i have a guy coming to look at it. I know the code is the limit switch or something. I'm hoping that is what is causing the issue with the thermostat as well

Apparently it's a bad heat exchanger and he said they arent cheap. We went to my exhaust and there was a terrible smell coming out of it. Problem is the guy that came over to fix it can't because it's carrier and he said it's MUCH cheaper for me to go through carrier bc the part should be under warranty. So now I have to call another place to check and they aren't picking up the phone.