Home Improvement/Remodel Thread

smetana34

On 8/13/2017 at 3:44 AM, Tugboat said:

At the risk of sounding stupid...Why are the posts uneven heights?  Are you building a sloping bar?

m0jfwwN.jpg

Night 3.

Now I need some Plywood for shelves and facing and brackets to hold the bar top. Going with butcher block.

Edited by Hockey5djh

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/9/2017 at 1:31 PM, Hockey5djh said:

Bar will be done before football season.

I have sad news to report fellas. Bar will not be done before football season. I'm one week down in a 2-3 week wait on the Butcher block bar top. I didn't realize that cutting 4 inches off the standard size would result in such a long wait. I'm hoping we'll be up and functional by week 3.

4 minutes ago, Hockey5djh said:

@SimsZilla hows the house updating going?

@SMashMouthMike hows the sump pump treatin ya?

@The Gnat how'd your paver patio turn out? any picks?

it's almost done! we literally just have to do the wainscoting in the dining room and finish the trim around the doors and windows. lets just say im ready to be done haha. ill post some pics once i am completely done!

where you guys at?

Trying to avoid home reno projects :D

We're planning on moving next year or 2019, so i'm trying to do the bare minimum to keep the house respectable.

Anyone ever do their own home insulation in the attic? Blow in vs Batts?

What specifically is the question?  I haven't done it before, but remember my parents doing blow insulation in their attic years ago.  They hired someone.  They also did some batts in their crawl space.  That they did themselves.

31 minutes ago, theJ said:
37 minutes ago, Hockey5djh said:

What specifically is the question?  I haven't done it before, but remember my parents doing blow insulation in their attic years ago.  They hired someone.  They also did some batts in their crawl space.  That they did themselves.

I was considering doing it myself to save money and I was wondering the pros and cons for each type. Cost, ease to do, satisfaction with the results, etc

What are your thoughts @vike daddy

Edited by Hockey5djh

15 hours ago, Hockey5djh said:

@Heimdallr, @vike daddy, @theJ, @steadypimpin where you guys at?

I've never done it. It seems easy enough and usually the machine comes free whrn you buy the insulation. It's probably way easier than bringing up batts to the attic. 

Side question, can you use blow in insulation on too of old insulation? I might do this but I don't feel like getting rid of the old insulation, that would be such a mess. I figure more is better right?

25 minutes ago, steadypimpin said:

Side question, can you use blow in insulation on too of old insulation? I might do this but I don't feel like getting rid of the old insulation, that would be such a mess. I figure more is better right?

No expert, but unless it's wet i would leave it in place.  I could be not thinking of something though.

16 hours ago, Hockey5djh said:

@The Gnat how'd your paver patio turn out? any picks?

It turned out nicely and is staying nice and steady. Was super fast to install with the pads instead of having to dig down and put in extra dirt. It's 13' x 9' approximately and it took me most of an afternoon to install. Helped that I was doing 16"x16" blocks. I'd dug it out previously,  but I did spend some time then and a little time the night before leveling and tamping it. Tamping it down by hand might have been the slowest part of the whole process. But it slopes slightly away from the house, so I got it doing what I wanted it to do. I'd love to do more patio some time down the line, but right now this works really really well.