Home Improvement/Remodel Thread

smetana34

Not like it's home improvement that I wanted to do, but we had a pipe leading from the house to the sewer main that is breaking, so I'm in the process of collecting estimates for that work. Thankfully there aren't any trees where it's breaking and it's not under sidewalk (either the one in front of the house along the street or leading up too the house, though it is fairly close. It didn't seem like something they thought they'd run into while doing the work.

31 minutes ago, The Gnat said:

Not like it's home improvement that I wanted to do, but we had a pipe leading from the house to the sewer main that is breaking, so I'm in the process of collecting estimates for that work. Thankfully there aren't any trees where it's breaking and it's not under sidewalk (either the one in front of the house along the street or leading up too the house, though it is fairly close. It didn't seem like something they thought they'd run into while doing the work.

I'm guessing you don't have the sewer line (or water line) insurance through your water company? Might want to double check that.

On ‎3‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 11:23 AM, Hockey5djh said:

Sooooo....this thread was wayyyy to far down the page. Anyone have any pro tips on installing a French drain? I figured it looked easy enough and may solve most of my drainage issues in my back yard.

@SMashMouthMike was it you that put in the sump pump in the back yard? if so was it just the pump or did you run a drain to it?

1 minute ago, The Gnat said:

I don't believe so, though, I should double check with insurance on that.

Check with your water company. They send out these things on occasion offering optional insurance for like $5-$10 a month to cover water/sewer lines from your house to the street/township responsibility.

Just now, Hockey5djh said:

Worth checking either way, that stuff ain't cheap. I think it cost my buddy who had to replace his line like 10k or something crazy (not city, line from house to street)

Yeah, I have a friend who owns a few places, duplux, triplex, quadplex, and one where it was under the cement and they had to take out a tree ran about 10k, so hopefully this should come back cheaper.

This is potentially really nice, we have service line endorsement in terms of coverage on our home owners insurance, would be a $500 deductible, but that's better than $4k+ in repairs otherwise, reading through it, it appears that it would cover the issue we have going on.

• Like 2

On 8/14/2017 at 8:58 AM, Hockey5djh said:

Upper Bar top and lower "service bar"

On 8/15/2017 at 7:35 AM, Hockey5djh said:

m0jfwwN.jpg

Night 3.

Now I need some Plywood for shelves and facing and brackets to hold the bar top. Going with butcher block.

On 12/27/2017 at 2:39 PM, Hockey5djh said:

That reminds me I never posted my finished bar.

Inspiration:

PDZInxp.jpg

My bar:

Full Album https://imgur.com/a/SWDGA

2PDZIrb.jpg

I'm honestly still kinda confused why you did it the way you did, but i also didn't realize you were planning to do something so cool with hockey sticks.  That part came out amazing.  I love that a lot.

A lot of kinda weird gaps to try to hide/fill as it actually went, but it also has a kind of custom Ikea vibe, which is pretty alright too?  I kinda dig the purity of line to some of it which is the very Swedish/Ikea element, even if it bothers me a lot as a compulsive person who craves evenness and balance.

On 3/14/2018 at 11:19 AM, The Gnat said:

This is potentially really nice, we have service line endorsement in terms of coverage on our home owners insurance, would be a $500 deductible, but that's better than $4k+ in repairs otherwise, reading through it, it appears that it would cover the issue we have going on.

yeah i was going to say, this should only be 2-4k depending on the labor rates in your area.  Unless the city or your insurance company mandates the use of a particular company, get a few quotes.  It isn't a complicated repair and should only take a small crew one day.

4 hours ago, Tugboat said:

I'm honestly still kinda confused why you did it the way you did, but i also didn't realize you were planning to do something so cool with hockey sticks.  That part came out amazing.  I love that a lot.

Thanks. I did it with the upper and lower because I was able to create storage below for all my liquor bottles and a service bar level for creating drinks. (I also avoided an obscenely large bar top)

A lot of kinda weird gaps to try to hide/fill as it actually went, but it also has a kind of custom Ikea vibe, which is pretty alright too?  I kinda dig the purity of line to some of it which is the very Swedish/Ikea element, even if it bothers me a lot as a compulsive person who craves evenness and balance.

Believe me my OCD was killing me in this project. The one thing I did on the lower service bar top along the edge you can see the uneven edges of the wood. I have since covered that with a piece of goalie stick to give it a decent finished look. What other "gaps" were you referring to?