Home Improvement/Remodel Thread

smetana34

On 3/14/2018 at 10:36 AM, Hockey5djh said:

@SMashMouthMike was it you that put in the sump pump in the back yard? if so was it just the pump or did you run a drain to it?

That was me and no I didn't do a combo with french drain. I did dump my gutters into the drain. I've got a story to tell about my drains and the nextdoor neighbor and my battle with the city.

Edited by steadypimpin

3 minutes ago, steadypimpin said:

That was me and no I didn't do a combo with french drain. I did dump my gutters into the drain. I've got a story to tell about my drains and the nextdoor neighbor and my battle with the city.

Sounds interesting. Lets hear it

2 minutes ago, Hockey5djh said:

Sounds interesting. Lets hear it

so I did the sump pump because the distance between mine and my neighbor's house is like 15 feet and their house is above mine so when it rains it makes a mini lake on that side of my home. I did the sump to get rid of the water quickly and I diverted it to the other side of my house where there is a swail. I also dug my gutters down and into the pipe with the sump pump. So it starts out sump pump 1 1/2" pipe that dumps into a 4" pipe for the gutters and into the swail. Anyway, I've lived here 9 years almost and the side with the swail usually has sitting water after heavy rains, been that way from day 1 for me so I figured what's a little more water added to it. Well the neighbor on the side with the swail complained to the city like a year after I had already installed everything and they were saying that my gutters flood her yard, I said it's been that way before I piped my gutters underground. We go back and forth a bit and the city code enforcer was being unreasonable not telling me what I need to do, just kept saying its my fault and I'm going to start getting fined. I got mad and asked for the supervisor to call me. He was cool as hell, he immediately noticed the swail and said I was in the right to use it to my advantage. Case closed. Well the woman still complained even after he went and explained it to her. He had to go there again with a topography map to prove to her that it was made that way for a reason. The swail doesn't work as well as it did when it was made because the house is over 60 years old. The woman next door is a pain in the butt, she was the worst neighbor forever where I ended up building a fence so I wouldn't have to look at her crappy yard. I think she got offended that I did that and that was the whole reasoning for her complaining. She never gave a crap about her ugly yard and just wanted to make trouble for me. I thought they were going to make me remove the sump pump and build a dry well instead. I also thought that I was going to have to cut back about 6' of pipe where it was discharging near the fence.

Built a coffee table and one end table last weekend using a Kreg jig to drill pocket holes for the joinery. Have to build one more end table and then I'll be sanding and prepping for the finish I want to do. Waiting for weather to warm up a smidge before doing the finishing. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VikeManDan said:

Built a coffee table and one end table last weekend using a Kreg jig to drill pocket holes for the joinery. Have to build one more end table and then I'll be sanding and prepping for the finish I want to do. Waiting for weather to warm up a smidge before doing the finishing. 

Borrowed a buddy's Kreg jig for the framing of the bar. Great tool, need to get one of my own eventually.

1 hour ago, steadypimpin said:

The woman next door is a pain in the butt,

I started the story with "oh no.....no don't...." and ended with "Well....that was surprisingly successful". I'm sure my reactions don't fully encompass all the time you put into all of that but it sounds like you had a successful resolution (kept your already installed drain, still have a crappy neighbor).

Just bought my first house in December of last year. Started doing some renovations and have plans for much much more. We started with the main floor bathroom which was just going to be painting until we decided what we wanted to do with the kitchen as well. Then we went to menards and she found the vanity she absolutely adored. So a quick roughly 30/40$ paint job turned into new vanity, new mirror, new floor and new trim. 

We just recently did my man cave which is a Star Wars/Lions theme. It’s not finished yet but the walls are painted and carpet is put in. 

Right now we’re working on her woman cave in the other room of the finished part of the basement. Then we will be finishing most of the other half for the kids playroom. Plan on doing the kitchen/living room next year with our bedroom. Then we move upstairs. 

I’m also thinking of building a fort structure in the side yard but i havent determined if I want to tackle that in the next few weeks or not.

48 minutes ago, theuntouchable said:

I’m also thinking of building a fort structure in the side yard but i havent determined if I want to tackle that in the next few weeks or not.

With all the snow we've been getting over here in Jersey (about to get another ~8 inches tonight/tomorrow) I can't wrap my head around any outdoor projects other than snow removal and downed tree branch clean up -_--_-

2 hours ago, Hockey5djh said:

Borrowed a buddy's Kreg jig for the framing of the bar. Great tool, need to get one of my own eventually.

I was wondering if that's what you did.  I probably would have just eyeballed it and sunk the screws in hard to bury them in the wood lol.  I most likely would have split a few 2x4's.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hockey5djh said:

With all the snow we've been getting over here in Jersey (about to get another ~8 inches tonight/tomorrow) I can't wrap my head around any outdoor projects other than snow removal and downed tree branch clean up -_--_-

Id give you 8 every night ....

its started to get nicer and nicer here. Still a bit chilly 40/50s but after the winter that’s shorts and T-shirt weather. 

• Like 1

On 3/12/2018 at 10:46 AM, theJ said:

If someone fell down his stairs and sued, he'd have a major problem on his hands.  I don't know that his liability coverage would kick in.

EDIT: responding to really old post.  My bad.

How many times do you let people in your house that would actually sue you?

7 hours ago, gopherwrestler said:

How many times do you let people in your house that would actually sue you?

I mean if they’re out thousands and thousands for medical bills or whatever, they might not have a choice.