Home Improvement/Remodel Thread

smetana34

• 1 month later...

So im putting in a 5 foot chain link fence. Im going two feet down. 9 inch diameter with 3 inch post. Anyone know how much concrete you would need for each hole? Ive read a lot of different amounts. Anywhere from 20-120 pounds. I was thinking an 80 pound bag in each should work but ive never done chain link. 

number of holes * [(depth of hole * pi * radius of hole^2) - (depth of hole * pi * radius of pipe^2)] 

that will give you the volume of concrete you need. based on your numbers above you need 1357 cubic inches of concrete per hole

an 80-lb bag will make 2304 cubic inches. You need 47.2 pounds of concrete per hole.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

number of holes * [(depth of hole * pi * radius of hole^2) - (depth of hole * pi * radius of pipe^2)] 

that will give you the volume of concrete you need. based on your numbers above you need 1357 cubic inches of concrete per hole

an 80-lb bag will make 2304 cubic inches. You need 47.2 pounds of concrete per hole.

Thank you. That helps a alot. 

6 hours ago, Heimdallr said:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRgQgbb4t49KLzSkl8HUWe

• Like 1

On 4/24/2018 at 9:14 AM, eagles101 said:

So im putting in a 5 foot chain link fence. Im going two feet down. 9 inch diameter with 3 inch post. Anyone know how much concrete you would need for each hole? Ive read a lot of different amounts. Anywhere from 20-120 pounds. I was thinking an 80 pound bag in each should work but ive never done chain link. 

I dug the holes for my 4 ft. fence a minimun of 2 ft deep and then poured some gravel at the bottom of the hole then the quick mix and water and worked it in with a digging bar. I think you need to find out what the frost line is in your area too.

• Like 1

On 3/14/2018 at 10:36 AM, Hockey5djh said:

@SMashMouthMike was it you that put in the sump pump in the back yard? if so was it just the pump or did you run a drain to it?

Little late, but no, still dealing with it. I tried french drains on either side of the utilities, both going down hill. They don’t work well (if at all)cause the ground is all clay! I still have a mess - houses are way too close together, neighbors that won't help me out with their downspouts, tree roots at the main sewer connection because of crappy black corrugated pipe making the connections that isn't rated to go under ground. A burnt out sump pump and flooded basement.

Well I basically fixed the plumbing problem with a a new sump, gravity/water back up pump,  a 6inch pvc and line to the main sewer that I tied my down spouts to. But I still have to fix my basement floor, and I haven't addressed the drainage problem well, if at all. In the fall I''m thinking about freaking these people out and getting ~3 tons of clay some plexi-glass, some plastic sheeting and a channel/trench drain and grading it out, sloping it towards my easterly neighbors. That might be the nuclear option, but the builders really messed up and the hoa, is not being helpful at all. I really wanted to do that last fall, but the wife was a little worried on that one...understandably, lol. Man did I bust my arse last spring on that. And not much can be done about a high water table...which I’m not sure if I have or not.

So so I didn’t use an outdoor sump, that’s way beyond my skill and it’s best location would be right where the underground utilities are at. Fml

Edited by SMashMouthMike

Anyone ever deal with birds in vents? 

Woke up this morning to the sound of baby birds in our vents... damnit 

it’s the vent that goes out the side of the house from the microwave. It doesn’t look very easy to get into from the outside, the trim covers the vent flaps and I don’t see a way to remove them without just breaking them.

my other option is to get it from inside. I’ll need to remove my microwave and vent hood. And use something to pull the nest and babies out. 

Whats gonna be the smallest headache? Anyone got tips? I’m thinking a shopvac?

41 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

stiff wire with a hook at one end. pull the nest material toward you.

Tried that. There’s a bit of a drop off about 3-4 feet down the vent and I can’t get anything to come up it 

pretty sure I’m gonna have to take down the range hood and attack from that angle

Edited by domepatrol91

so now that the inside of the house is 95% done, i get to start the outside! my yard isnt huge but the people i bought the house from left it DESTROYED. EVERYTHING was overgrown and it made the area seem so small. there was no sun back there so grass was spotty and wasnt growing. there were overgrown bushes and smaller trees (3-5 inches in diameter) that i had to cut down. i started trimming that last fall and burned some, gave some away for wood, etc. 

first thing i did was remove a rather large tree that was dead in the middle of the yard that was over my house (that was scary) then trimmed up two other large trees in the back yard. Then along the fence line there was a giant tree that was technically on city property that i called and they surprisingly removed it for me (FOR FREE). I also removed all this nasty looking privacy crap they had weaved into the fence (chain) and now it looks wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy cleaner and more open. 

i finally have a blank canvas. my plans for the summer:

in one corner of the yard im making a fire pit area with seating. gonna do about triangle shaped area where the two fences meet. gonna be around 20x20x20 triangle, or so. gonna dig out the area and probably put river rock (3/4 in or so, or the white rocks) and then i saw a cool thing online where they made benches out of concrete blocks and 4x4 posts. so were gonna try that. 

then im making a paver path from the side of my driveway, down the side of my house, then Y off to the shed and then to the concrete back patio area. (digging SUCKS. just dug out about 8 feet x 3 feet x 6 inches (or so)) im sick of walking on just a dirt path so pavers it is! any tips on how to do this? i read dig 6 in or so, sand, then paver gravel stuff, then pavers, sand, etc

also around my shed it was all gross and weed and such, so i gutted it and im gonna lay down a good amount of mulch around there so i dont have to get the mower back there. 

and im going to reseed the entire backyard with new grass seed and fertilizer and what not. i want this to look nice. on the side of the house im going to make the soon to be wife (2 weeks from today i get married AHHH) a flower garden so she can make the backyard look pretty with colors. 

It is going to be a fun but busy summer out there! (also have a mentioned, i REALLY dislike digging)

ill get some pics up once i get back from my honeymoon

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 7:54 PM, SimsZilla said:

so now that the inside of the house is 95% done, i get to start the outside!

My plans for 2018 are outdoor as well. Pulled out about 6 smaller trees using a chain, some rope, and my truck. Fun exercise for about a half dozen trees until the rope broke and was no longer useable. Cut down the last three, need a professional to come in and do two more (over 25 feet tall) and the three stumps. Have to dig our some minor roots, and dig out some small cover bushes. After that I'm moving my shed to the other side of my yard and opening up about 300 sq feet of my back yard.

After everything is cleared up and moved I want to expand my back patio a bit to hopefully put a hot tub. Longer term (aka I don't think I can get it done this year) is to put in a slider off of my kitchen and build a back deck that leads to the small patio.

• Like 1