Home Improvement/Remodel Thread

smetana34

18 hours ago, Hockey5djh said:

Sounds like a warranty claim in my book. Hopefully its a slow leak and there wasn't a ton of damage done.

I'm thinking so. Water Heater guy is coming out today to check it out. One of my rooms got water in it. The carpet was just the thin squares that the previous owner laid down and it wasn't a room we used. I'm only worried about the wood. The county I live in has very high water pressure so I had the expansion tank and new water heater installed last year.

So it ended up being my AC that was causing all the issues. The Water Heater is fine. They fixed everything for $45 and now I have a claims rep coming to my house soon to survey the damage to the room. Once they figure that out I just have to pay my deductible ($1000) and they'll have someone come replace the wood, carpet, clothes, and shelves that were on the floor.

6 hours ago, TENINCH said:

So it ended up being my AC that was causing all the issues. The Water Heater is fine. They fixed everything for $45 and now I have a claims rep coming to my house soon to survey the damage to the room. Once they figure that out I just have to pay my deductible ($1000) and they'll have someone come replace the wood, carpet, clothes, and shelves that were on the floor.

What was wrong with the A.C.? Condensate pipe was clogged?

To our resident plumbers....

I'm going to be replacing my rented water softener (WS) and purchase my own. 

I've found that the water hardness in my area is 24 grains per gallon. There are 2 people in my house. I figure that the household uses 150 gallons per day.

24 grains per gallon x 150 gallons per day means the WS needs to remove 3600 grains per day or 25,200 grains per week.

At a minimum I'm thinking of purchasing a >30k grain WS. Is there such thing as to much WS?

My question is am I overlooking or forgetting anything? I obviously want to make sure I am getting and installing an efficient WS.

On 7/18/2018 at 7:52 PM, Malfatron said:

has anyone had septic system problems?

if so, what was the cause?

im trying to anticipate issues early

age of the system has a lot to do with it, as the seepage ground can get over saturated.

how many people in the household are using it?

13 hours ago, Malfatron said:

4 and its a 1000 galloon tank

the size and condition of the leach field is more important than the size of the tank. your county sanitarian's office will have records on file of when the system was installed and how it was laid out. hopefully, unless it was installed without a permit.

having the tank pumped of its contents is a good idea every few years, and the guy who does it (have yet to see a woman take that job!)  might be able to give you some feedback as to what he sees.