Home Improvement/Remodel Thread

smetana34

On 8/9/2017 at 11:31 AM, Hockey5djh said:

7AtT20X.jpg

Two nights down. Night 1= measure and cut. Night 2 = frame.

Bar will be done before football season.

At the risk of sounding stupid...Why are the posts uneven heights?  Are you building a sloping bar?

On 8/9/2017 at 0:32 PM, TENINCH said:

Looking at replacing the carpet in 3 bedrooms. We'd like to start with the 2 bedroom downstairs. You guys know a rough estimate of how much I should be expecting to pay? I'm looking at carpet similar to the one below. I would remove the pre-existing carpet and pad myself.

texture-carpet-tile-1.jpg

it all depends on how much you want to spend per sq ft. I used to work in the floor dept. A good carpet should start around 2 bucks a sq ft and then a nice padding .85-.99 cents a sq ft. always add 10% for overage. if you go to home depot the install would be free if your carpet is 1.00 or more a sqft and youre total purchase is 699 or more. rip up is free with that too, as is furniture move

Edited by SimsZilla

10 hours ago, SimsZilla said:

it all depends on how much you want to spend per sq ft. I used to work in the floor dept. A good carpet should start around 2 bucks a sq ft and then a nice padding .85-.99 cents a sq ft. always add 10% for overage. if you go to home depot the install would be free if your carpet is 1.00 or more a sqft and youre total purchase is 699 or more. rip up is free with that too, as is furniture move

Actually went to home depot this weekend. Guy is coming out to measure tomorrow. Carpet we like it $2.67 but we're more concerned with get the top of line carpet pad. We want to do 3 rooms but if we have to settle for 2 rooms right now that's fine.

2 hours ago, TENINCH said:

Actually went to home depot this weekend. Guy is coming out to measure tomorrow. Carpet we like it $2.67 but we're more concerned with get the top of line carpet pad. We want to do 3 rooms but if we have to settle for 2 rooms right now that's fine.

if you plan on doing the other room anytime in the next year, make sure you have them measure that other room so they dont have to go remeasure it later. measures are good up to a year. I have the top of the line pad in my house with  my life proof carpet and it feels amazing. absolutely worth it. have any questions let me know, i work at THD

54 minutes ago, SimsZilla said:

if you plan on doing the other room anytime in the next year, make sure you have them measure that other room so they dont have to go remeasure it later. measures are good up to a year. I have the top of the line pad in my house with  my life proof carpet and it feels amazing. absolutely worth it. have any questions let me know, i work at THD

Yeah we're getting all 3 rooms measured.

3 hours ago, SimsZilla said:

I'm SUPER skeptical of big box installers because of horror stories about leveler and sub floor repairs and other such things. That said I'm not sure how you can really screw up carpet that badly. I assume the free installation is the way to go with Lowes or HD?

Edited by Hockey5djh

7 hours ago, Hockey5djh said:

I'm SUPER skeptical of big box installers because of horror stories about leveler and sub floor repairs and other such things. That said I'm not sure how you can really screw up carpet that badly. I assume the free installation is the way to go with Lowes or HD?

absolutely. im not sure what lowes has going on, but HD it's always free carpet install if the carpet is 1$ or more a sqft and 699 total or more. which isn't hard to do with quality carpet. I will say we have FAR less issues with carpet than anything else. the installers we use for my store are pretty good. really depends. and you always hear the 1 bad and not the 99 good. but i will say i got my carpet from my store and i loved it.