Home Improvement/Remodel Thread

smetana34

On 23/08/2018 at 2:55 PM, flyers0909 said:

Anyone have recommendations for a solid budget electric weed wacker?  Just moved into a new apartment that has a small backyard that I'm responsible for.  It's kind of a mess back there so it needs to have some decent power but nothing too crazy. 

Always go Stihl imo.  I've actually never used one of their electronical units, but they've done more than enough with their gas units to make me a kinda diehard subscriber.  

9 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

It has been an unusually rainy Summer and it seems like because of it we have alot of mushrooms growing in the front/backyard. Any recommendations on getting rid of them? We have a ton

I’m sitting here waiting for mushroom season so I can go out and pick them

what kind of mushrooms you got?

• 2 weeks later...

Did an inspection in the crawlspace under my house, found a couple leaks in the old cast iron drain pipe fittings. Gotta do some replacement pvc pipe fittings and no hubs. It sucks because it makes the work harder not being able to stand. Ive done work like this before at work I'm not a plumber. Any plumbers here have any tips for a job like this? Seems pretty simple to me Just wanna make sure I'm not missing anything.

19 hours ago, Incarcerated_Scarface said:

Did an inspection in the crawlspace under my house, found a couple leaks in the old cast iron drain pipe fittings. Gotta do some replacement pvc pipe fittings and no hubs. It sucks because it makes the work harder not being able to stand. Ive done work like this before at work I'm not a plumber. Any plumbers here have any tips for a job like this? Seems pretty simple to me Just wanna make sure I'm not missing anything.

don't be on the downhill side when you cut the pipe.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Incarcerated_Scarface said:

Haha right, I'll also have a bucket ready for it. I already made a big list.

here's a tip too.

i know a professional plumber who suffered SERIOUS burns on his legs and knees because as he cut a drain pipe in a crawlspace just as you are describing, the sluggish wet contents contained an anti- buildup eating acid. which tore away at the skin on his legs once his jeans got soaked with it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, vike daddy said:

here's a tip too.

i know a professional plumber who suffered SERIOUS burns on his legs and knees because as he cut a drain pipe in a crawlspace just as you are describing, the sluggish wet contents contained an anti- buildup eating acid. which tore away at the skin on his legs once his jeans got soaked with it.

Well I'm gonna put a lot of plastic down first and try to divert everything into buckets that way it can be an easy cleanup.

Woo hoo, got the parking spot put into the back, now I need to get the stump remover put on the stump and hopefully next fall I'll be able to have  two nice parking spots back there instead of a weird set-up like we have it now. We have one car pointed one direction and the other another direction, so we have to be a bit careful while parking, but once that stump is gone it should be taken care of and give us plenty of room.

59 minutes ago, Incarcerated_Scarface said:

Anyone have recommendations for painting a coffee table? I did it once and the top was always tacky and papers and stuff would stick. I sanded it sown and was wondering how to keep it from being tacky. I want to repaint it.

did you put on a poly coating or anything?