Home Improvement/Remodel Thread

smetana34

13 minutes ago, SimsZilla said:

they finally picked up. they can't and won't replace the heat exchange and no one around my area will. too difficult and not worth it since they break a lot. so now my only option is to replace the whole damn thing. 

It really is dang near better to just replace the furnace. 

Also be happy you found out what it was, a heat exchange cracking is a big cause of people dying due to carbon monoxide poisoning in the house. 

Either way you would be looking at $3,500 to fix it, or just $3k-$4k for a brand new furnace.

spend the extra $500 bucks and get yourself a good new furnace

53 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

It really is dang near better to just replace the furnace. 

Also be happy you found out what it was, a heat exchange cracking is a big cause of people dying due to carbon monoxide poisoning in the house. 

Either way you would be looking at $3,500 to fix it, or just $3k-$4k for a brand new furnace.

spend the extra $500 bucks and get yourself a good new furnace

yeah i have 3 people coming over to give me some quotes. need to buy some space heaters lol. they wont be able to install until probably monday. i have Carbon monoxide alarms so luckily nothing has gone out yet. so far i have a quote of 2400 and a 1700. the 1700 actually has better reviews and the reason it's so much cheaper is because they can give me a 500 rebate for the old carrier one, then an additional 300 for consumers rebate. it's 96% efficient

4 minutes ago, SimsZilla said:

yeah i have 3 people coming over to give me some quotes. need to buy some space heaters lol. they wont be able to install until probably monday. i have Carbon monoxide alarms so luckily nothing has gone out yet. so far i have a quote of 2400 and a 1700. the 1700 actually has better reviews and the reason it's so much cheaper is because they can give me a 500 rebate for the old carrier one, then an additional 300 for consumers rebate. it's 96% efficient

That’s a fairly good deal, and $1700 includes installation?

Just now, gopherwrestler said:

That’s a fairly good deal, and $1700 includes installation?

Yeah, that's what he said over the phone. He actually should be here in the next 10 min or so to write me up a proper quote and such but if i can get 1700 out the door i'm gonna do that. kind of a need it application right now in Michigan winter lol

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ok my dish washer screws into our ugly laminate counters that we're hoping to get rid of soon but for now, we have them. The screws keep falling out and every product I've read and tried hasn't worked. Anyone had that problem here or any suggestions as to what I can do? I honestly was just about to use gorilla glue and call it a day but I don't think that's the best route. Am I wrong??

Edited by JTagg7754

38 minutes ago, JTagg7754 said:

Ok my dish washer screws into our ugly laminate counters that we're hoping to get rid of soon but for now, we have them. The screws keep falling out and every product I've read and tried hasn't worked. Anyone had that problem here or any suggestions as to what I can do? I honestly was just about to use gorilla glue and call it a day but I don't think that's the best route. Am I wrong??

you just need to pre-fill the old screw holes with a hard drying filler substance, then drill a pilot hole in to it and re-insert the screws.

On 1/6/2019 at 4:25 PM, JTagg7754 said:

I've already done this with two different products. Neither have worked. Do you have one that you recommend?

How much play is there in the brackets for the dishwasher?  Would it be possible to insert a wood strip between the dishwasher and countertop?  Maybe 1/2" or so?  You could attach that to some new spots on the countertop that aren't damaged, and attach the dishwasher brackets to the wood strip.

EDIT: Alternatively, if there's very little play, you could do the same thing with a thinner metal strip (maybe 1/16"?).

Edited by theJ
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, theJ said:

How much play is there in the brackets for the dishwasher?  Would it be possible to insert a wood strip between the dishwasher and countertop?  Maybe 1/2" or so?  You could attach that to some new spots on the countertop that aren't damaged, and attach the dishwasher brackets to the wood strip.

EDIT: Alternatively, if there's very little play, you could do the same thing with a thinner metal strip (maybe 1/16"?).

I had thought about this but there isn't a whole lotta room. Your last line is exactly what I did. Attached via a nut and bolt and extended my drill spots out a bit. Hoping it lasts but I don't have any reason to believe it won't!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JTagg7754 said:

I had thought about this but there isn't a whole lotta room. Your last line is exactly what I did. Attached via a nut and bolt and extended my drill spots out a bit. Hoping it lasts but I don't have any reason to believe it won't!

I say if it doesn't, granite counter tops are in order :D

• Like 1