Home Improvement/Remodel Thread

smetana34

19 hours ago, vike daddy said:

i'm  not sure why anyone would go with batts in an attic for insulation over a blown in product. particularly if the blower machine is supplied free of charge as many stores do if you buy the insul product for them.

tell me about your house though,

Split level so I have two separate attic levels. Anything else you want/need to know?

I was also considering creating a storage area up in one of the levels so I figured the batts might be cleaner if I decided to do that.

4 hours ago, theJ said:
4 hours ago, steadypimpin said:

Side question, can you use blow in insulation on too of old insulation? I might do this but I don't feel like getting rid of the old insulation, that would be such a mess. I figure more is better right?

No expert, but unless it's wet i would leave it in place.  I could be not thinking of something though.

This is where I'm at. I have insulation, I'm just adding to it as its somewhat on the low end and I figured I'd address that before creating my storage area.

18 hours ago, Gmen said:

I finished my office this summer.  I built the table myself.  That was a very satisfying project

I also built the storage self in the corner to organize my tools.

Table looks very nice.  I have something similar in my garage for tools and stuff, a little wider though.

1 hour ago, Hockey5djh said:

Split level so I have two separate attic levels. Anything else you want/need to know?

I was also considering creating a storage area up in one of the levels so I figured the batts might be cleaner if I decided to do that.

age of house

existing insulation type and amount

height of attic area at highest point

amount of money you want to spend

if you can make storage somewhere else in your house it would be better. attics are best left undisturbed, to maximize the insulation effect and lack of air leakage in to the home.

Edited by vike daddy

Just can't get the angle cut on my coped inside corners for crown molding right.

The corner I had the latest problem with is damn near 45, but I think the ebbs and flows of my ceiling are screwing it up, so now I'm stuck starting at 45 and slowing adjusting the angle to fit.

Anyone know of an easier way to go about this?

11 hours ago, Pats#1 said:

The corner I had the latest problem with is damn near 45, but I think the ebbs and flows of my ceiling are screwing it up, so now I'm stuck starting at 45 and slowing adjusting the angle to fit.

Anyone know of an easier way to go about this?

yep, that's what you do to solve it.

you can take two short scraps and get them tuned in to fit each other, and then transfer what you did and the angles you used to the real pieces, if that helps.

22 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

yep, that's what you do to solve it.

you can take two short scraps and get them tuned in to fit each other, and then transfer what you did and the angles you used to the real pieces, if that helps.

Yea that's what I have now. Five scrap pieces cut at 43-47 degrees. 

On 9/8/2017 at 1:20 PM, vike daddy said:

age of house

existing insulation type and amount

height of attic area at highest point

amount of money you want to spend

if you can make storage somewhere else in your house it would be better. attics are best left undisturbed, to maximize the insulation effect and lack of air leakage in to the home.

@vike daddy

1970s

Mostly blown in and about 8" :ph34r:

6' or so

At little as possible xD. I just know I need more insulation and I don't know anyone who likes spending money on insulation.

As far as the storage goes I was just going to put up some cross beams on my attic cross beams to throw some rubbermaid tubs up there (Christmas/halloween decorations, etc.), I'm not talking a full blown closet style storage.

Edited by Hockey5djh

with a 6' high attic space, you can stand in the center and just move a couple of feet left and right as you need to, IF you attach the end of the blower tube to a 5-6' long wood pole, like a painting roller extension pole. attach it with duct tape in several places, and also duct tape the on/off switch to your pole/blower tube close to where you'll need to reach it. this allows you to get the blower tube end close enough to the lowest parts of the roof without having to be in  an awkward position.

• Like 2