Home Improvement/Remodel Thread

smetana34

52 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Mice like peanut butter in their traps just FYI. Give them a last meal they deserve/will appreciate.

The traps with the yellow tab seem to work fine. 

I like to sucker them in to getting nothing tangible.

thats for wasting my time to pick up their corpse

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Malfatron said:

Our automatic  garage door had to be removed  and we need to cover the resulting hole until we can replace it.

suggestions?

mostly concerned about excess mice

i was thinking a tarp

Ideally, i'd suggest replacing it with an army of Cats.  A whole regiment from the shelter if you can afford it.  They'll do work.  Just feed 'em and they'll kill 'em all if you get good ones.

But if not...yeah, just do the tarp thing.  The mice will still get in.  It's messed up how tiny a crack they can fit through in a solid surface...not to even mention a flexible tarp.  Like...i still don't understand how a mouse can fit through the slats on heater grate...but they can because they have bizarre flexy bones.  So you have to be prepared.

With cats.

17 hours ago, MWil23 said:

Tarp or some plastic wrap roll would both work. Secure it with painters tape on the trim and then duct tape over the painters tape so as not to damage the paint would be my suggestion.

Mice can eat painters tape bad though.  Unfortunately.  They can eat through plastic packaging for Ramen Noodles.  They can eat through a tarp if they decide to...or just...undo the tape and limbo under like sly mofos if they feel like it.  They're pretty evolved little ****ers actually.

15 hours ago, Malfatron said:

im sure i will get some mice

hell, i get mice if i had a working garage door.

I ended up using a tarp and bungee cords. it will do for the time being.

takes 2 weeks to get another garage door ordered

Guarantee mice will defeat an bungee cord tarp 100% of the time, every time.

Edited by Tugboat

On 11/19/2019 at 8:56 AM, Tugboat said:

Ideally, i'd suggest replacing it with an army of Cats.  A whole regiment from the shelter if you can afford it.  They'll do work.  Just feed 'em and they'll kill 'em all if you get good ones.

I agree with this plan of attack.

Malf get yourself about 2 dozen able bodied cats 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Dome said:

I agree with this plan of attack.

Malf get yourself about 2 dozen able bodied cats 

When it was summertime, it was great because our yard was full of snakes and we never had an issue with mice

i may get a carload of snakes and let em loose in my garage

Edited by Malfatron

1 hour ago, Malfatron said:

When it was summertime, it was great because our yard was full of snakes and we never had an issue with mice

i may get a carload of snakes and let em loose in my garage

Same.

Always had an issue with mice in the winter in our last country house.  Just moved in the spring, so we're about to find out how bad it is in the new house.

I still want to know what happened to the old garage door.  

• Like 1

Yall need cats. Catch a feral one, you can bet they know how to hunt.

I am almost done renovating enough to finally move in. Took a month and a half, and there’s still a lot of work to do, but almost there.

Last thing is a few baseboards, shoe molding, and cleaning out the former salon. Thinking of treating the concrete floor with something to make it smoother and more durable. Anyone do any of that enough to have suggestions on what works best?

• Like 1

Finally got around to painting the last room (guest room that we used as our bedroom while refinishing the master).

Got a new house number and plan to get an overhanging light to put above the house number.

Been trying to fix a leaking issue with our fridge (leaks from freezer down into the fridge), with no luck apparently. It was bought from Sears and it came with the house. I'm debating calling someone to take a look at it, but have little faith for them to fix it (and not return the next day).

Plan to get some quotes on taking our front tree out since it hangs over the house, it ugly, and drops all sorts of leaves and sap.

Still need to finish winterizing the house with plastic over the attic windows, insulation at exterior outlets and switches, and some other touches.

6 minutes ago, skywlker32 said:

Finally got around to painting the last room (guest room that we used as our bedroom while refinishing the master).

Got a new house number and plan to get an overhanging light to put above the house number.

Been trying to fix a leaking issue with our fridge (leaks from freezer down into the fridge), with no luck apparently. It was bought from Sears and it came with the house. I'm debating calling someone to take a look at it, but have little faith for them to fix it (and not return the next day).

Plan to get some quotes on taking our front tree out since it hangs over the house, it ugly, and drops all sorts of leaves and sap.

Still need to finish winterizing the house with plastic over the attic windows, insulation at exterior outlets and switches, and some other touches.

Make sure whoever you hire has their own insurance, otherwise you could be liable. 

Good job on getting stuff done!

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

Make sure whoever you hire has their own insurance, otherwise you could be liable. 

Good job on getting stuff done!

Thanks for the advice.

I will say that it is kind of frustrating all of the stuff that was done so poorly in our house by the previous owners. I feel like getting stuff done is like moving through cement because there's always something that is just off.