Home Improvement/Remodel Thread

smetana34

• 2 weeks later...

Having to do some work next to the house as we got a huge downpour a couple of days ago and got some water in the basement.

Picked up everything to get that taken care of, isn't too large a crack between the sidewalk and house, mainly annoying because we've had a single time in a year where we've had a tiny bit water down there, and we had a fair amount from this time.

• 2 months later...

Anyone have an electrical prowess? so last weekend i decided to string up my xmas lights at my new house, first thing i noticed was that the outlet for outside wasn't a GFCI so i decided to swap it out. The outlet had no problem or anything before this. So i unscrew it and it has a black, white, and then a ground. I connect everything correctly and then I figure I am good to go. Test the GFCI, nothing. Wire is hot, plug says it has power. But the GFCI wouldn't work. It had a red light, so i decided it was the GFCI, bought another one and same problem. I then put the old one on and it works. I then got a weatherproof outlet (since the GFCI's weren't working) and again, I get power to the outlet, Black is hot, but it does not work. Nothing I plug in works, but the outlet says I am getting power. I'm legit stumped. I have a GFCI on the same breaker but it works fine and it's not tripped. anyone have any ideas?

Edited by SimsZilla

8 minutes ago, SimsZilla said:

Anyone have an electrical prowess? so last weekend i decided to string up my xmas lights at my new house, first thing i noticed was that the outlet for outside wasn't a GFCI so i decided to swap it out. The outlet had no problem or anything before this. So i unscrew it and it has a black, white, and then a ground. I connect everything correctly and then I figure I am good to go. Test the GFCI, nothing. Wire is hot, plug says it has power. But the GFCI wouldn't work. It had a red light, so i decided it was the GFCI, bought another one and same problem. I then put the old one on and it works. I then got a weatherproof outlet (since the GFCI's weren't working) and again, I get power to the outlet, Black is hot, but it does not work. Nothing I plug in works, but the outlet says I am getting power. I'm legit stumped. I have a GFCI on the same breaker but it works fine and it's not tripped. anyone have any ideas?

Are both wires connected to the "line side" of the GFCI? They should be marked.

Each GFCI has two type of connections, a "line side" and a "load side". The line side is where you connect your hot feed from the panel and neutral back to the panel, the load side is for if you wanted to connect other receptacles to the GFCI circuit. Since you are just connecting the hot and return (neutral), you want to make sure both connections are on the line side.

9 minutes ago, SimsZilla said:

For the not GFCI one, I connected the black to the black and silver to white and ground to green

7 minutes ago, SimsZilla said:

Interesting

So the other outlet (GFCI) that is on the same breaker, is working fine?

Are you connecting the black and white on the same half (upper or lower) of the outlet? Check the metal clips that you can break off to separate the upper and lower halves as well just to be sure.

I'm guessing you have a meter....are you getting 120v from the hot?

The GFCI is working fine (it's in the garage). they are both on the upper side of the outlet, made sure of that. the clips are fine as well. Im going to go check the v, I just used one of the voltage testers to make sure I had power. I have a meter I need to go check that. I just checked that it had power

4 minutes ago, SimsZilla said:

The GFCI is working fine (it's in the garage). they are both on the upper side of the outlet, made sure of that. the clips are fine as well. Im going to go check the v, I just used one of the voltage testers to make sure I had power. I have a meter I need to go check that. I just checked that it had power

Yea check to see that your getting 120v, then wire it up and check the voltage coming directly from the outlet plug as well.

I can't seem to find my good meter so I have to pick one up tomorrow at home depot. i found an old one that says im NOT getting any power to the black, but my klein tool volt tester says i am. im so confused. I might just have to call an electrician. im so damn confused