Home Improvement/Remodel Thread

smetana34

14 minutes ago, JTagg7754 said:

I mean I don't disagree something better exists it's just I never thought of using a "made for TV" product for this task lol. I never thought of it until I started reading reviews. I trust y'all fools so I figured I'd pose the question here and see what came up.

I will say as an addendum, that you're not going to stop serious foundation cracks with some glue. Foundations move where they may.  They're hard to stop.  They've got all the earth behind them usually.

Again though, that said...they build basements and foundations a lot different here.

Edited by Tugboat

7 hours ago, Tugboat said:

I will say as an addendum, that you're not going to stop serious foundation cracks with some glue. Foundations move where they may.  They're hard to stop.  They've got all the earth behind them usually.

Again though, that said...they build basements and foundations a lot different here.

Oh the leaks are very, very minor and only occur with heavy rainfall. I wouldn't even consider if it were something large scale.

• 2 weeks later...

So I’ve got a dishwasher situation. 

I have a cheap dishwasher that was here when I bought my place. I mostly hand wash my dishes, so I never run it. I put my hand washed dishes in there so they dry, though. I just noticed today that the bottom part can pop off and there is standing water in the dishwasher. I’ll attach some pictures. Anyone know why this is happening? And probably more important, what I can do to not let this happen.

I hope these pics aren’t massive.

actually I don’t know how to attach pictures from my phone. I guess I’ll try to describe it. The filter area pops up and underneath is the drain itself and there’s standing water in that. When the filter is popped back on, you can’t see the water. Is it just clogged?

Edited by MOSteelers56

16 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I have a cheap dishwasher that was here when I bought my place. I mostly hand wash my dishes, so I never run it. I put my hand washed dishes in there so they dry, though. I just noticed today that the bottom part can pop off and there is standing water in the dishwasher. I’ll attach some pictures. Anyone know why this is happening? And probably more important, what I can do to not let this happen.

actually I don’t know how to attach pictures from my phone. I guess I’ll try to describe it. The filter area pops up and underneath is the drain itself and there’s standing water in that. When the filter is popped back on, you can’t see the water. Is it just clogged?

dishwashers require their pumps to evacuate the water that settles in them. you're not running the dishwasher, so therefor not running the pump.

Edited by vike daddy
  • Like 2

On 12/3/2019 at 8:53 AM, vike daddy said:

the texture will be more even if it goes on a primed and sealed surface, as opposed to some on the old painted wall and some on the new sanded surface.

@theJ

Finally done.  Texture applied, painted, the whole 9.  Hung the cabinet back up, put up some new shelves.  

Overall, i think it went well.  I didn't apply the texture heavy enough to match the existing exactly, but it's not so obvious if you don't know any work was done in that area.  Plus they're both in rooms that don't get a bunch of foot traffic (utility room and garage).

One project, checked off the list.  Thanks for the help!

Next up - running a ground wire from my main panel the sub panel in the garage.  It's a 4 wire leaving the main panel, but the ground wasn't continued at the splice point in the crawl.  So i need to run a ground through the existing conduit that goes into the garage.  Thankfully they used a rigid conduit, about 1 1/2" from the looks of it, so maybe i won't have trouble fishing it through.

12 hours ago, theJ said:

Next up - running a ground wire from my main panel the sub panel in the garage.  It's a 4 wire leaving the main panel, but the ground wasn't continued at the splice point in the crawl.  So i need to run a ground through the existing conduit that goes into the garage.  Thankfully they used a rigid conduit, about 1 1/2" from the looks of it, so maybe i won't have trouble fishing it through.

why can't you just separately ground the sub panel in the garage? do you HAVE to take the garage sub panel ground all the way back to the main panel, and connect to its ground there?

a ground is a ground, man.

8 hours ago, vike daddy said:

why can't you just separately ground the sub panel in the garage? do you HAVE to take the garage sub panel ground all the way back to the main panel, and connect to its ground there?

a ground is a ground, man.

Been a few months since i looked at the code book, but i thought grounds on attached structures were supposed to go back to the main panel?  I could be wrong.

In either case, it's probably easier this way.  The ground is 90% of the way there.  They just didn't complete it, for some reason.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/01/2020 at 1:46 PM, MOSteelers56 said:

What @vike daddy said about needing to actually run the dishwasher to run the pump to evacuate the accumulated water.

But also...why wouldn't you just use the dishwasher in the first place?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Tugboat said:

What @vike daddy said about needing to actually run the dishwasher to run the pump to evacuate the accumulated water.

But also...why wouldn't you just use the dishwasher in the first place?

It leaks if it runs too much. It's a real crapper. 

Also, I'm weird but I really like hand washing dishes. 

Edited by MOSteelers56

17 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

It leaks if it runs too much. It's a real crapper. 

Also, I'm weird but I really like hand washing dishes. 

What kind of a creep actually enjoys hand washing dishes though?  Honestly?  It's so weird and unpleasant.

I'd rather spend a thousand hours troubleshooting a dishwasher, before i spent 500 hours washing dishes by hand.  It's just an awful procedure that makes me hate life for every single second of the operation.

I always have more dishes to hand-wash than i ever want, as it is.  Even after a dishwasher exists.  It's one of the most tedious things a human being can do imo.

Also...just fix the leak imo.  Whether you're gonna use it or not...leaking stuff is bad.  Needs fixed.

Edited by Tugboat

12 hours ago, Tugboat said:

What kind of a creep actually enjoys hand washing dishes though?  Honestly?  It's so weird and unpleasant.

I'd rather spend a thousand hours troubleshooting a dishwasher, before i spent 500 hours washing dishes by hand.  It's just an awful procedure that makes me hate life for every single second of the operation.

I always have more dishes to hand-wash than i ever want, as it is.  Even after a dishwasher exists.  It's one of the most tedious things a human being can do imo.

Also...just fix the leak imo.  Whether you're gonna use it or not...leaking stuff is bad.  Needs fixed.

I like to pop on a podcast or a youtube lecture and just listen and wash. It's relaxing. I'll most likely just get a newer dishwasher once we get the rest of this house fixed up. I have far more pressing needs for the house.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 19/01/2020 at 3:13 PM, MOSteelers56 said:

I like to pop on a podcast or a youtube lecture and just listen and wash. It's relaxing. I'll most likely just get a newer dishwasher once we get the rest of this house fixed up. I have far more pressing needs for the house.

I'll legitimately never understand people who think any sort of audiovisual stimulation can make rote tasks like dishwashing any less unbearable.

Even just a podcast or youtube lecture which i enjoy a lot...i never feel like i can pay it the proper attention to fully digest it while i'm busy doing stupid busywork like washing dishes.  Some music or a talk radio show can make it less terrible.  But still pretty terrible.  I have a very low tolerance for those sort of repetitive tasks...yet i can't ever detach myself enough from them enough to really enjoy something else, for fear i might make a mistake in the mundane task.  Also have a very low tolerance for doing a half-assed job of anything.

• 2 weeks later...

Bathrooms suck. 

My basement bathroom has concrete walls and pipes everywhere.  A heating vent going through it that hangs too low.  I'm not going to drywall around the vent, I'm just going to spray paint it. 

The shower was gnarly.  Nasty old tile on the floor and ceiling with one of those ugly glass block things for shower wall.  I knocked out the tile and glass around the shower and then realized there's a stupid slab of concrete on top of the floor that I had to break out.

I've taken so many garbage bags full of crap out of that basement I don't ever want to see another contractor trash bag in my life. 

I know it's probably not a good idea for longevity, but I put joint compound over the concrete and sanded it down/smoothed it out, then primed/painted.  It looks like an actual wall now.  Super nice. 

Once I'm finished, I'll probably have spent only 1,000 total on that basement bathroom and the difference will likely add 3,000 value minimum to my house.  It will go from looking like a prison bathroom to looking damn nice. 

I took before/after pictures for the bathroom (unlike my basement). 

My basement is looking fantastic right now.  Got some movie posters, all my movie memorabilia displayed, 86 inch TV is coming in early April, 1,300 sound system coming the same time.  The only thing that will be missing is a urinal.  Next house.  Next house.