Home Improvement/Remodel Thread

smetana34

8 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Thanks for the information @buno67 I appreciated your story.  It sucks that you just got it in.  Also seems like a lot of pool salesmen are trying to get it out of the door and not educating you on what you need to learn to have it.  

I honestly think the biggest part of the issue might have been the timing. Like I said with everything being close and the influx of money from stimulus package, a lot of people have bought pools as well. This is a great time to be a pool installer. When I was talking to the installer he stated they have people scheduled for installer for late September/ Early October. Just enough time to install it, fill it, and close it for the season. Said they usually install around 500 pools. Said they should do 600+. So we were frustrated, really frustrated but we see why everything was a sh!t show. Heck was even told that some stores were running out of pools. People would get upset that they would return their pools. The minute the pool came back, it was sold that day

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The Gnat said:

Now that we've (wife and I) have gotten our offer on a house accepted, time to figure out how much it'll cost to have about an eight foot long wall and a 4 foot wall with a door, put into an upstairs to create a fourth bedroom.

How much are you planning on doing yourself/hiring out? That's essentially going to be lumber, hardware, drywall, mud, paint, electrical (if needed/not already done) and flooring (if needed/not already done).

Adding two walls and a door shouldn't actually cost you all that much...do you also need to add a window, or no?

1 minute ago, MWil23 said:

How much are you planning on doing yourself/hiring out? That's essentially going to be lumber, hardware, drywall, mud, paint, electrical (if needed/not already done) and flooring (if needed/not already done).

Adding two walls and a door shouldn't actually cost you all that much...do you also need to add a window, or no?

Interior walls so don't need any windows or anything like that, can make a standard door size. I think we'd probably hire it out just to get it done ASAP, though, interior door I'd just ask them to frame out. I'm hoping they can just cut out the carpet where the walls would go so no flooring would need to be updated (or I could do that).

7 minutes ago, The Gnat said:

Interior walls so don't need any windows or anything like that, can make a standard door size.

I was more or less wondering just from a "code" standpoint on whether or not you wanted it coded as a bedroom. A bedroom technically needs an exterior window and a closet if you care about having a "4th bedroom" on your listing should you sell it down the road.

7 minutes ago, The Gnat said:

I think we'd probably hire it out just to get it done ASAP, though, interior door I'd just ask them to frame out. I'm hoping they can just cut out the carpet where the walls would go so no flooring would need to be updated (or I could do that).

Best wishes man! It shouldn't be too expensive!

3 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I was more or less wondering just from a "code" standpoint on whether or not you wanted it coded as a bedroom. A bedroom technically needs an exterior window and a closet if you care about having a "4th bedroom" on your listing should you sell it down the road.

Ah that makes sense. It has the requisite windows to be a 4th bedroom.

Hi plumber people.

So my stop cap broke off the top of my flush valve and it's fine except occasionally the hose comes out and starts shooting water all over the place and not filling up the tank. Is using a water proof super glue a bad route to go here? I don't see any other options to keep the cap from lifting up minus and entire replacement of the flush valve itself. I just looked and water never even touches the cap so I'm not sure a water proof glue is even necessary but just something that has some strength. Gorilla? How terrible of an idea is this for a cheap fix? 

Edited by JTagg7754

36 minutes ago, JTagg7754 said:

Hi plumber people.

So my stop cap broke off the top of my flush valve and it's fine except occasionally the hose comes out and starts shooting water all over the place and not filling up the tank. Is using a water proof super glue a bad route to go here? I don't see any other options to keep the cap from lifting up minus and entire replacement of the flush valve itself. I just looked and water never even touches the cap so I'm not sure a water proof glue is even necessary but just something that has some strength. Gorilla? How terrible of an idea is this for a cheap fix? 

Sounds like this is in the category of "what do you have to lose?".

Also, yes i'd use a waterproof glue.  It may not be in direct contact with the water, but it's humid enough in there that over time the glue would give up.

9 minutes ago, theJ said:

Sounds like this is in the category of "what do you have to lose?".

Also, yes i'd use a waterproof glue.  It may not be in direct contact with the water, but it's humid enough in there that over time the glue would give up.

Agreed. We are redoing our bathroom this year anyway and replacing the whole flush valve looks pretty straight forward so I'll just handle it then if need be. Thanks for the input.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

Anyone have any experience with EGO electric mowers? 

Debating between a Toro Super Recycler and the EGO. 

A friend of mine has one.  He's had it for a few years now (2-3?).  He likes it.  Likes how lightweight it is, and the batteries have held up for now.  He knows he'll have to replace those eventually, but is banking on the company remaining viable so he find batteries for it down the road.

The thing is actually light enough that it hangs on his garage wall lol.

Bought and assembled a little plastic resin shed other day. So now I have more room for random tools I don’t really need. 

Was slightly concerned with quality as I was assembling, but honestly once together seemed pretty solid. Will be interesting to see how it holds up. 

• Like 2

Anyone done landscaping before? Staying in my wife's grandmother's house while the China border remains closed, and I want to fix up her flower beds for her. I've started pulling out the weeds and grass, but I'm already seeing them come back¬¬ . Looking at putting mulch over it to hopefully keep them from coming back. Is mulch good for soil or is it just for aesthetics? Should I put fertilizer/soil under it first? 

19 hours ago, titansNvolsR#1 said:

Anyone done landscaping before? Staying in my wife's grandmother's house while the China border remains closed, and I want to fix up her flower beds for her. I've started pulling out the weeds and grass, but I'm already seeing them come back¬¬ . Looking at putting mulch over it to hopefully keep them from coming back. Is mulch good for soil or is it just for aesthetics? Should I put fertilizer/soil under it first? 

I’ve got a lot of experience with landscaping. Pull them out from the root and then you can lay a barrier like landscaping paper/cardboard, or apply Prine (it kills weeds but not flowers). Then you can mulch around the flowers. Best wishes!

56 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I’ve got a lot of experience with landscaping. Pull them out from the root and then you can lay a barrier like landscaping paper/cardboard, or apply Prine (it kills weeds but not flowers). Then you can mulch around the flowers. Best wishes!

I think it's Preen.

Also, @titansNvolsR#1 what he said.  Getting weeds under control is a nightmare.  Preen will work.  Mulch also keeps the weeds under control, for the most part.  But some weeds will still find root even in the mulch.  Pulling them becomes easier though, since the roots lack the stretch of typical soil.

Another alternative is a ground cover plant.  There are all sorts of plants that will spread and cover a broad area.  In doing so they shade the area enough that weeds won't grow.  That's a more sustainable solution, since you don't have to buy mulch every year.  Obviously though, that takes some time, so you'll be weeding while waiting for that to take off.