Home Improvement/Remodel Thread

smetana34

I just noticed an issue tonight, so figured I'd post here about it incase any of you feel like chiming in.

I have two overhead lights in my upstairs kitchen/dinette area. Tonight, I noticed that the dinette overhead light isn't working. It's chandelier style with 5 bulbs that's operated by a wall dimmer switch. I tested the bulbs on another lamp and they work fine. I then checked the other lights/outlets in the room, and they work fine. I checked the breaker and nothing is tripped. 

What's my next step? 

I figured I could buy a new switch and try that. Should I get a voltage detector and try testing the wall switch or remove the fixture and test there? Or should I just call a real man to look at it (electrician)?

I just had my roof replaced a little over a week ago, and am hoping the issue isn't critters taking up residence and chewing wires.  I'm not sure when the light stopped working, as I rarely use it.

18 minutes ago, KingVi said:

I just noticed an issue tonight, so figured I'd post here about it incase any of you feel like chiming in.

I have two overhead lights in my upstairs kitchen/dinette area. Tonight, I noticed that the dinette overhead light isn't working. It's chandelier style with 5 bulbs that's operated by a wall dimmer switch. I tested the bulbs on another lamp and they work fine. I then checked the other lights/outlets in the room, and they work fine. I checked the breaker and nothing is tripped. 

What's my next step? 

I figured I could buy a new switch and try that. Should I get a voltage detector and try testing the wall switch or remove the fixture and test there? Or should I just call a real man to look at it (electrician)?

I just had my roof replaced a little over a week ago, and am hoping the issue isn't critters taking up residence and chewing wires.  I'm not sure when the light stopped working, as I rarely use it.

might have shaken the wires lose t in the fixture..... If you know how, take it down, then see if the switch is sending power

• Like 1

8 hours ago, KingVi said:

What's my next step? 

Get a multimeter and test for voltage at the switch and fixture.  You may also need to test continuity at the switch, bc like you pointed out there might be an issue with the wiring to the fixture and testing continuity is the only way to definitively say it's the switch.

You might just start the fixture though in case it's loose wiring.  If you have voltage there (with the switch on), turn off the power and reconnect the wiring.

You don't need an electrician.  At least until you discover that an animal did chew through the wiring. 😂 (my bet is on the switch though)

• Like 1

On 10/20/2020 at 7:02 AM, NateDawg said:

Planning on completing a farm fence around my 2-acre property. Unfortunately, the price of wood is just not going down yet. Hoping the price goes down sometime before Spring; right now I’d be paying way more than I’d like for the lumber. Even a basic stud is like $8 right now where I’m at. 

Anyone knock out any decent projects lately? Surprise this thread hasn’t had more action recently, with all the DIYers out there this year especially. 

I don't know what things are like in your area, but i know when my parents went to fence in their 10+ acre property for horses with fences quartering the property and an "arena" on top of that, they got a really good deal going straight to a local miller and grabbing a huge lot of "rough cut" 2x6"s.  Paid the price when it came to painting them probably, where they just ate paint up.  But there might be cheaper options around, if that's what you're looking for.

Funny enough, i remember being conscripted to build all those fences back in the day.  My dad was insanely precise about leveling each and every post and rail.  It was intense.  But being there for Thanksgiving weekend...he was a lot less precise when it came to digging out and replacing a few broken posts.  lol.

1 hour ago, Tugboat said:

I don't know what things are like in your area, but i know when my parents went to fence in their 10+ acre property for horses with fences quartering the property and an "arena" on top of that, they got a really good deal going straight to a local miller and grabbing a huge lot of "rough cut" 2x6"s.  Paid the price when it came to painting them probably, where they just ate paint up.  But there might be cheaper options around, if that's what you're looking for.

Funny enough, i remember being conscripted to build all those fences back in the day.  My dad was insanely precise about leveling each and every post and rail.  It was intense.  But being there for Thanksgiving weekend...he was a lot less precise when it came to digging out and replacing a few broken posts.  lol.

Good stuff, and I will definitely have to look into the bulk purchase mill suggestion also.

We just bought the property a few months ago and have done a lot with it already. But our chocolate lab puppy is a real handful and my wife has basically told me she wants a fence up or she might not be able to handle him much longer with three small kids. I am OCD when it comes to precision in some ways but she has basically just told me she wants a fence up to solve that issue. I thought about just making a dog run as a temporary solution but I figure I am going to want the farm fencing eventually anyways so will probably just jump on all that lumber when the price is right.

28 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

Good stuff, and I will definitely have to look into the bulk purchase mill suggestion also.

We just bought the property a few months ago and have done a lot with it already. But our chocolate lab puppy is a real handful and my wife has basically told me she wants a fence up or she might not be able to handle him much longer with three small kids. I am OCD when it comes to precision in some ways but she has basically just told me she wants a fence up to solve that issue. I thought about just making a dog run as a temporary solution but I figure I am going to want the farm fencing eventually anyways so will probably just jump on all that lumber when the price is right.

@Tugboat makes a good suggestion.  I just went my local mill on Saturday for some cedar, and got about 25 bf for $40.  Translated to 2x4 cost, that is roughly $0.75.  And this is nice cedar, not treated pine.

7 minutes ago, theJ said:

@Tugboat makes a good suggestion.  I just went my local mill on Saturday for some cedar, and got about 25 bf for $40.  Translated to 2x4 cost, that is roughly $0.75.  And this is nice cedar, not treated pine.

That’s a steal. I’ll definitely be looking into this. 

39 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

@NateDawg a buddy of mine went to a mill as well. There’s a sawmill close to us. You’ll be doing A LOT of painting going this route, but it’s not a bad route at all.

If you've got a planer, you can smooth it out very quickly.  

Of course, if you buy cedar, you don't need to paint either.  It will turn grey, but the natural oils in the wood keep moisture out and prevent it from rotting.  Unlike pine.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, theJ said:

If you've got a planer, you can smooth it out very quickly.  

Of course, if you buy cedar, you don't need to paint either.  It will turn grey, but the natural oils in the wood keep moisture out and prevent it from rotting.  Unlike pine.

A planet is on my Christmas list for a reason 😂.

@NateDawg you have this list as well. :)

I've seen these fabric ones used successfully as well. Instead using wood fence boards for the whole thing, they just put up posts every 6-8 feet, and then they  stretched the fabric between posts and used the grommets to connect. The good ones also have wind flaps that let some wind through

just another fencing option when you have acres to fence in. This one below covers 50 feet in length x 5 ft high for $50, very inexpensive
No staining/painting needed and they come in several colors and level of privacy. Some of them you can see thru pretty well, others not.

51mctoAxlmL._AC_.jpg

Minnesota: "We're going to get cold early."

Furnace: "Screw you, we quit."

Me: "Umm... I didn't want to replace you yet."

New house to us but 16 year old furnace that'd had 3 $1k or more fixes done in the past three years. So new it was on the way out, just hoping it'd last longer, like through this winter. Fortunately company can get it replaced today.

39 minutes ago, The Gnat said:

New house to us but 16 year old furnace that'd had 3 $1k or more fixes done in the past three years. So new it was on the way out, just hoping it'd last longer, like through this winter. Fortunately company can get it replaced today.

Yuck.  Those are the ones you never really want to do, but have to do at some point.

1 hour ago, theJ said:
2 hours ago, The Gnat said:

Yuck.  Those are the ones you never really want to do, but have to do at some point.

Yup, I'm just glad it was before we went into a deep deep freeze