Home Improvement/Remodel Thread

smetana34

Thinking about projects for next year, I've got this slab of concrete in my back yard and I've really been considering building my own shed for it.  I feel like I could do the framing well enough and learn how to do the roof shingles and siding for it, but what I really don't know would be how to secure it to the concrete.

Would a Ramset work for that or would I have to drill in concrete anchors?

Was also thinking maybe just get a hot tub to put on it. 

1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

Thinking about projects for next year, I've got this slab of concrete in my back yard and I've really been considering building my own shed for it.  I feel like I could do the framing well enough and learn how to do the roof shingles and siding for it, but what I really don't know would be how to secure it to the concrete.

Would a Ramset work for that or would I have to drill in concrete anchors?

Was also thinking maybe just get a hot tub to put on it. 

Since you already have the concrete in place, things should be pretty easy for you.  I'm not sure how big you are thinking for the shed though?  You should be able to get some 4x4 brackets and your 4x4s obviously, get out the hammer drill, pilot holes, and attach the brackets to the concrete and 4x4s just like that.  Some people just do that on 4 cinder blocks if it's a small shed, level and all.  Shouldn't even need to do that since you have concrete in place.  Get your 4x4s anchored in then you can attach the other supports from there. 

So, as far as whether you need a Ramset or not, I'm not sure what your tool chest looks like.  I have a Dewalt drill that has the hammer feature, so it fulfills both uses. So Tapcon screws using the hammer feature would go right into the concrete after the pilot holes.   I'm not super familiar with the Ramset.  If it can be used to secure larger fasteners to concrete, you should be fine.

Edited by NateDawg

I had the following Milwaukee tools before today:

Corded sander
Flashlight
Circular saw
Impact drill
Compact drill
Jigsaw
Sawzall
Angle grinder
Rotary Hammer drill

I went in to buy that rotary Dremel tool they have and only that.

But they have a new promotion.  299 dollars for a cordless orbit sander, compact drill, impact drill, circular saw, flashlight, two batteries (XC 3.0, CP 1.5) and a charger.  The box said that's a 718 dollar value and I believe it. 

The circular saw was better than the other version I had and if I sell the compact drill and impact drill alone that will bring me out ahead if I just wanted the orbit sander.  I'll probably sell my old impact drill, compact drill and circular saw and come out like 100 dollars ahead, and that's if I throw in a free battery and charger. 

Correction: My circular saw I already had was the better version.  I sold the brand new one.

Edited by Outpost31
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

who has that new promotion ?

Home Depot.

I already sold the circular saw And little battery for 100 bucks.  Threw in the charger for free since I have four of those already.

So that’s a brand new compact drill, impact drill, orbit sander, XP 3.0 battery and a couple accessories (I kept the saw guide which is really nice) for 200 dollars.  And I forgot about the flashlight.

That said, that little Milwaukee rotary tool might be my new favorite tool.  That is going to save me hours and hours and hours on my basement shower with the ****ty mess I made down there.

I figure I’ll sell my old compact drill and impact drill for 50 dollars each and that becomes replacing those and an orbit sander/battery for 100 dollars.

Edited by Outpost31
  • Like 1

@Outpost31 that’s a great deal IMO. I love my craftsman power tools, but @NateDawg loves his DeWalt and my brother in law loves his Milwaukee ones. I’ve used the Milwaukee power tools and they’re fantastic as well. The only complaint I have about Milwaukee is the 20v batteries don’t last that long and tend to wear down before needing recharging in comparison to the other brands, but the durability and easy use of the tools themselves is fantastic. 

5 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

@Outpost31 that’s a great deal IMO. I love my craftsman power tools, but @NateDawg loves his DeWalt and my brother in law loves his Milwaukee ones. I’ve used the Milwaukee power tools and they’re fantastic as well. The only complaint I have about Milwaukee is the 20v batteries don’t last that long and tend to wear down before needing recharging in comparison to the other brands, but the durability and easy use of the tools themselves is fantastic. 

I’m guessing Milwaukee is similar to DeWalt and that it depends on the quality of battery you get. For Dewalt yeah the basic 2 AH is a joke. The 4, 5, 6.0 XP etc is stronger and holds much better charge. Then you have your Flexvolt line if you move back and forth between the 20/60v lines. Milwaukee and Dewalt are always going to go to toe so I’m guessing their line of batteries is similar. You may just have experience with the low-end generic one.

Dangerous times to go to Home Depot. They are rolling out black Friday sales all the way up through Thanksgiving right now. So you can get some of those bundles for really good deals, but you are obviously in danger of spending a ton of money.

Edited by NateDawg
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, NateDawg said:

I’m guessing Milwaukee is similar to DeWalt and that it depends on the quality of battery you get. For Dewalt yeah the basic 2 AH is a joke. The 4, 5, 6, etc is stronger and holds much better charge. Milwaukee and Dewalt are always going to go to toe so I’m guessing their line of batteries is similar. You may just have experience with the low-end generic one.

Dangerous times to go to Home Depot. They are rolling out black Friday sales all the way up through Thanksgiving right now. So you can get some of those bundles for really good deals, but you are obviously in danger of spending a ton of money.

For sure. I’ve got two of the 2AH and then the gold standard 4AH for my craftsman. The drill/driver is great for the 2AH, but it’s a must to use the 4AH for the sawzaw and saws. I personally love my corded sander just fine, but the multi tool cutter and angle grinder I want are absolutely musts on the 20V end.

I can absolutely rationalize dropping $1K right now with these sales between those combo packs, a table saw and miter saw. 

🤤 🤤 🤤 

Just now, NateDawg said:

Yep.  I waited so long for Milwaukee's new promotion to come out.  When I didn't see what I really wanted (rotary tool), I said screw it and went just to finally buy that. 

Then as I was commiserating over already having everything in their new promotions, I noticed the Orbit sander in one of them. 

Orbit sander tool only = 120.
Saw guide for circular saw (not great, but nice to have) = 20.
Flashlight = 20.
Extra batteries/charger = 130

Sell the circular saw and battery for 100, sell my old drill/driver for 100.  That's 100 bucks for the orbit sander and I get that cheap little saw guide, a flashlight and an extra battery for free. 

@MWil23, I never thought I'd be the brand loyalty guy.  But Milwaukee just feels right compared to every other one out there.  Perfect weight for my liking and doesn't feel cheap like some of the other ones.  There was a Milwaukee rep there when I bought my first tools so I'm hooked on Milwaukee.

If there's a tool I want that Milwaukee doesn't offer, I'll go Rigid (same company technically speaking).  I got a Craftsman angle grinder and jigsaw and hated both of them, so now if Milwaukee offers it I'm going Milwaukee all the way. 

I've done a lot of home projects and typically one of the smaller ones has more than enough power and charge for a full project on my drill/driver, and the only time I've ever gone through multiple battery charges has been on my rotary hammer drill.  One time on my circular saw, once on my Sawzall.  But I got a LOT of work out of each battery. 

6 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Yep.  I waited so long for Milwaukee's new promotion to come out.  When I didn't see what I really wanted (rotary tool), I said screw it and went just to finally buy that. 

Then as I was commiserating over already having everything in their new promotions, I noticed the Orbit sander in one of them. 

Orbit sander tool only = 120.
Saw guide for circular saw (not great, but nice to have) = 20.
Flashlight = 20.
Extra batteries/charger = 130

Sell the circular saw and battery for 100, sell my old drill/driver for 100.  That's 100 bucks for the orbit sander and I get that cheap little saw guide, a flashlight and an extra battery for free. 

@MWil23, I never thought I'd be the brand loyalty guy.  But Milwaukee just feels right compared to every other one out there.  Perfect weight for my liking and doesn't feel cheap like some of the other ones.  There was a Milwaukee rep there when I bought my first tools so I'm hooked on Milwaukee.

If there's a tool I want that Milwaukee doesn't offer, I'll go Rigid (same company technically speaking).  I got a Craftsman angle grinder and jigsaw and hated both of them, so now if Milwaukee offers it I'm going Milwaukee all the way. 

I've done a lot of home projects and typically one of the smaller ones has more than enough power and charge for a full project on my drill/driver, and the only time I've ever gone through multiple battery charges has been on my rotary hammer drill.  One time on my circular saw, once on my Sawzall.  But I got a LOT of work out of each battery. 

I know you aren’t mentioning Dewalt in there because they are arch rivals with Milwaukee. That’s OK, I will let it slide. I would think less of you anyways if you used both Red Team and B&Y together.

Some of the Home Depot deals are so good that people that go in looking for batteries come out with a small bundle that includes those batteries while spending similar money. Some of those larger bundles are so tempting I don’t even want to go in there right now because I know I don’t actually need some of them as I have some overlapping older but solid versions of the product. I don’t have the self-control to go in there right now unless I know I need something very specific. Plus I know my wife did some Christmas shopping for me (from my approved and specific list obviously) and I would feel bad if I bought some thing that she might have gotten me.

Edited by NateDawg

2 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

Some of the Home Depot deals are so good that people that go in looking for batteries come out with a small bundle that includes those batteries while spending similar money.

Literally did that with my last power tool purchase 😂 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

@Outpost31 I get it, I’m a craftsman guy because of how much I love their drill/driver and I personally love my orbital sander and sawzaw of theirs that I got. Plus these brands have an awesome scam going with their prices on batteries and chargers, so now I’m pot committed.

Make the switch.  I’m REALLY not that type to **** on opposite brands.  Never been a brand loyalty type, but when it comes to Craftsman versus Milwaukee I would say make the switch.

And @NateDawg, Dewalt is a great tool.  My drunk uncle is a big Dewalt guy so I got to try out some of his tools.  I would say the only thing that separates Milwaukee from Dewalt would be the following:

Price - Very close quality, but Milwaukee typically runs cheaper.

Warranties - Milwaukee’s last longer.

Color - Black and red look much, much better for me.

• Like 1

@Outpost31 The Browns fan in me absolutely hates that I love DeWalt tools. So yeah, I can see where the red look is a factor. You are probably right about the price, I think DeWalt does get away with a bit more expense, based on their name and the fact that people are obviously still buying. 

Milwaukee is obviously a quality tool, I think a lot of what determines whether someone picks Milwaukee or Dewalt is what they become accustomed to first, and loyalty takes over from there. It sounds like you are not just a brand loyalty person, but a lot of people are. I’m not the person that needs all my accessories to be Dewalt, screwdrivers, etc. I have had great luck with their power tools though, so if it’s a drill, saw, etc., that’s what I want. I know what I am dealing with, and I know my batteries are always going to be compatible.