Home Improvement/Remodel Thread

smetana34

1 hour ago, BrettFavre004 said:

Took out a closet in our entrance/mud room/laundry room and made little locker type dealy's for the kids.  Was not expecting to find an air duct in that short wall when I started, lol, luckily was able to get it into back wall. 

eC2F3lb.jpg

EllUWfx.jpg

7LVT9gl.jpg

q2SuXFV.jpg

GVYkj0c.jpg

TnjpIOL.jpg

7MpUkbw.jpg

QcCSZYm.jpg

2tmswPk.jpg

JR8HZWA.jpg

RHKxOv0.jpg

NJw8tcL.jpg

Kf2WiD3.jpg

Beautiful work, man.

On 1/12/2021 at 1:24 PM, vike daddy said:

pumped septic systems pump the liquid effluent to a, typically, 2" diameter pvc pipe system with 1/4" holes drilled in the highest point of the pipes every 4'. the pipes are set in level in trenches. the pipes are covered with plastic 3' or 4' diameter tunnel domes, so the effluent is pushed up ward, splashes on the underside of the rounded vaults, and drips down to the washed drain rock set in the drenches.

the concept is that the pumped system requires less linear footage of distribution lines, because the effluent is spread out evenly. a gravity system does not do this so needs more real estate.

Yeah.  It's a system like that.  I honestly don't know if it's a 2" PVC beyond the outlet.  The inlet is probably 6" PVC on the gravity fed part of the system into the tank.  I just know it's got a looped 2" sort of semi-flexible poly pipe from the outlet of the pump back up to the access at the top, and back down to the outlet feed to the field that's at least a few hundred feet away.

It's not just pumping to wherever, it's pumped to the back corner where the percolation test said it was good enough.

On 1/12/2021 at 3:21 PM, theJ said:

Makes sense.  So it's used more in areas where real estate is at a premium?

Should probably mention that it's also a house that's got a deep set full basement.  So it's probably about packaging.  I always forget a lot of US houses don't have deep basement foundations.

So it's at least 7 feet below the ground, with the septic pipe below the foundation basically.  Probably 10" below ground level.  Which drains downhill into a tank probably a hundred feet away. You're not building a field downhill from that.  The septic pump is probably 15+ feet down.

From there, it pumps out at least a few hundred feet to a leech field at a time, based on the float on the pump.  That's why there's a pump i guess.

Edited by Tugboat
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, BrettFavre004 said:

Took out a closet in our entrance/mud room/laundry room and made little locker type dealy's for the kids.  Was not expecting to find an air duct in that short wall when I started, lol, luckily was able to get it into back wall. 

eC2F3lb.jpg

EllUWfx.jpg

7LVT9gl.jpg

q2SuXFV.jpg

GVYkj0c.jpg

TnjpIOL.jpg

7MpUkbw.jpg

QcCSZYm.jpg

2tmswPk.jpg

JR8HZWA.jpg

RHKxOv0.jpg

NJw8tcL.jpg

Kf2WiD3.jpg

Absolutely outstanding work! I'd better not show my wife this. I am planning on building a bump out shiplap wall with an electric fireplace insert in our bedroom, with a floating mantel below it (we did a floating mantel in our family room last week) here soon.

Also, PSA, out of curiosity, how do you guys upload pictures onto this platform from your phones?

• Like 1

20 hours ago, BrettFavre004 said:

eC2F3lb.jpg

EllUWfx.jpg

7LVT9gl.jpg

q2SuXFV.jpg

GVYkj0c.jpg

TnjpIOL.jpg

7MpUkbw.jpg

QcCSZYm.jpg

2tmswPk.jpg

JR8HZWA.jpg

RHKxOv0.jpg

NJw8tcL.jpg

Kf2WiD3.jpg

Right out of a catalog.  Nicely done.

Also, point of fact, there's always a duct in your way when you open up a wall. 😂

• Like 1

So I'm just trying to start out building things and I want to start with a cooler box (if that makes sense). Basically build something that would house the cooler and be about 4' high. My question is when making the legs, would you all carve it from a 4x4 post or would you recommend other methods for that? This is the only part I'm struggling with as I have my design ready. 

Edit: And if any of y'all have done this, did you use an online guide? Link it if so. Thanks

Edited by BobbyPhil1781

11 hours ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

So I'm just trying to start out building things and I want to start with a cooler box (if that makes sense). Basically build something that would house the cooler and be about 4' high. My question is when making the legs, would you all carve it from a 4x4 post or would you recommend other methods for that? This is the only part I'm struggling with as I have my design ready. 

Edit: And if any of y'all have done this, did you use an online guide? Link it if so. Thanks

What tools do you have at your disposal?  That will dictate what you can do.

If you just a table or circular saw, you could do tapered legs from 8/4 stock.  If you've got a lathe, you can make a more traditional leg from 4x4 stock.  

Also, how finished is this going to look?  Is this just function, or are going for furniture quality build?

3 hours ago, theJ said:

What tools do you have at your disposal?  That will dictate what you can do.

If you just a table or circular saw, you could do tapered legs from 8/4 stock.  If you've got a lathe, you can make a more traditional leg from 4x4 stock.  

Also, how finished is this going to look?  Is this just function, or are going for furniture quality build?

I would just be using a circular saw to do this. Like I said, I'm just starting out so I don't have a ton of items right now and that goes double for specialty items.

I am going for both function and quality. I have a blessing and a curse to not really half-*** things and it will be on display so I'd like to be proud of it lol. This is why I'm asking people here b/c there's a lot of intelligent, crafty people who could give me some advice. I think this is really the only part I'm hung up on. Getting the lid off to fit perfectly on the top might be a challenge but I'm certain I can work through that. Won't be doing this until it gets warmer out anyway so I'm just trying to line everything up right now.

1 hour ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

I would just be using a circular saw to do this. Like I said, I'm just starting out so I don't have a ton of items right now and that goes double for specialty items.

I am going for both function and quality. I have a blessing and a curse to not really half-*** things and it will be on display so I'd like to be proud of it lol. This is why I'm asking people here b/c there's a lot of intelligent, crafty people who could give me some advice. I think this is really the only part I'm hung up on. Getting the lid off to fit perfectly on the top might be a challenge but I'm certain I can work through that. Won't be doing this until it gets warmer out anyway so I'm just trying to line everything up right now.

You can do a lot with a chisel and patience, if you really want. 

However, I'd probably go for a tapered leg, using a long straight edge and some clamps for a guide with the circ saw.  You can sand the edges to soften them.  A tapered leg is a nice touch and gives it less of a crude feeling.  And should be more easily achievable than anything else you'd be doing with your tools.

I'd use 8/4 (2"x1") stock though, not 4x4.  Unless you want to double taper it.  The 4x4 with a single taper will still look a little blocky, imo.

This is what i typically do with legs, since i don't have a lathe either.  I do have pretty much every other woodworking tool, and will do some other things to give effects on legs, but the taper is the big key.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, theJ said:

You can do a lot with a chisel and patience, if you really want. 

However, I'd probably go for a tapered leg, using a long straight edge and some clamps for a guide with the circ saw.  You can sand the edges to soften them.  A tapered leg is a nice touch and gives it less of a crude feeling.  And should be more easily achievable than anything else you'd be doing with your tools.

I'd use 8/4 (2"x1") stock though, not 4x4.  Unless you want to double taper it.  The 4x4 with a single taper will still look a little blocky, imo.

This is what i typically do with legs, since i don't have a lathe either.  I do have pretty much every other woodworking tool, and will do some other things to give effects on legs, but the taper is the big key.

I do really like the look of the tapered leg but do you feel that'd be difficult for someone who's a novice? I've only built a deck and a gate for my driveway to keep my dog in.... well other things as well but all are straight edges

17 hours ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Something like this?

403def19daf74811b4a4038f7e26a7c1.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

IMO, get about 2 8 foot 4x4's and make 4 legs at 36 inches each. If you use whitewood/cedar/fir for that, I'd use yellow pine 2x10 or 2x12 for the cross section and top, with 2x4 for the brace between and platforms (there are 2) in a deck fashion, but I'd use a Kreg Jig for pocket holes underneath.

Also, here's a starting point, and then you can use WHATEVER dimensions that you want :) 

https://jayscustomcreations.com/2014/12/make-a-wooden-cooler-box/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

I do really like the look of the tapered leg but do you feel that'd be difficult for someone who's a novice? I've only built a deck and a gate for my driveway to keep my dog in.... well other things as well but all are straight edges

I think you can do it.  A long straight edge clamped to the workpiece will do most of the work for you.  Just let that circular saw ride along it.

• Like 2