Home Improvement/Remodel Thread

smetana34

• 2 weeks later...

So I bought a new shower trim kit for the guest bath. Came with matching shower head, faucet and handle. So 3 pieces.

I can do the shower head no problem and the faucet Im pretty sure is just screw on/off.

The issue Im having is with the handle for Hot/Cold. The set came with a new valve and everything. However I dont have access behind my shower like most people do. There is just no access door on the other side of the wall.

Do I really need the new valve before I start this? Or can I just take the screw out of the plate around the handle, remove it and put the new handle on the existing valve??

Im afraid Im going to start unscrewing things and reach a point where I cant figure it out and need a handyman lol

Edited by AkronsWitness

11 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

So I bought a new shower trim kit for the guest bath. Came with matching shower head, faucet and handle. So 3 pieces.

I can do the shower head no problem and the faucet Im pretty sure is just screw on/off.

The issue Im having is with the handle for Hot/Cold. The set came with a new valve and everything. However I dont have access behind my shower like most people do. There is just no access door on the other side of the wall.

Do I really need the new valve before I start this? Or can I just take the screw out of the plate around the handle, remove it and put the new handle on the existing valve??

Im afraid Im going to start unscrewing things and reach a point where I cant figure it out and need a handyman lol

it depends on how the valve mates.  You'll have to start taking it apart from the front to tell.

If you do need access to the rear, just cut a nice square hole and trim out the piece of drywall with some wood trim and put it back in place.  Looks nice, and you'll always have access for future problems.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, theJ said:

it depends on how the valve mates.  You'll have to start taking it apart from the front to tell.

If you do need access to the rear, just cut a nice square hole and trim out the piece of drywall with some wood trim and put it back in place.  Looks nice, and you'll always have access for future problems.

This seems like way to much work to update the shower trim haha Its all builders grade crap Im updating that the house had still from the year 2000. I did the bathroom sink/faucet myself, so now I know how to screw with plumbing a bit under the vanity--its just this whole updating the shower Hot/Cold handle with the plate around it thats making me extremely nervous to even try.

I read the back of the box for the trim kit and it comes with everything but Ive been afraid to even try that the box has just sat in the bathroom for 6 months now :)

2 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

This seems like way to much work to update the shower trim haha Its all builders grade crap Im updating that the house had still from the year 2000. I did the bathroom sink/faucet myself, so now I know how to screw with plumbing a bit under the vanity--its just this whole updating the shower Hot/Cold handle with the plate around it thats making me extremely nervous to even try.

I read the back of the box for the trim kit and it comes with everything but Ive been afraid to even try that the box has just sat in the bathroom for 6 months now :)

Trust me, at some point, you are going to need plumbing work done, and an access panel will come in handy anyways. It’s honestly not as hard as it would seem. You can also learn a lot on YouTube. As far as the valve itself though, most valves now-a-days adjust how hot they can go just using an allen wrench then moving the dial. If it’s your plumbing itself and not the valve, you have to go inside the wall.

42 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

Trust me, at some point, you are going to need plumbing work done, and an access panel will come in handy anyways. It’s honestly not as hard as it would seem. You can also learn a lot on YouTube. As far as the valve itself though, most valves now-a-days adjust how hot they can go just using an allen wrench then moving the dial. If it’s your plumbing itself and not the valve, you have to go inside the wall.

I dont think it is the actual plumbing itself, its literally just the handle that connects to the temperature valve. In my own stupid head I should be able to remove the screw on the current handle--remove the handle from the valve and screw the new handle onto the current valve.

But, Ive done probably around 7-8 DIY projects to my house from laminate flooring, tile, paint, cabinets, ect. NOTHING works that easy and something always goes wrong.

I have a drain hole in my driveway that has been clogged with dirt and debris since I moved in. It didn’t have a grate, nor can I find where it comes out. I bought a hand/drill crank drain snake last year. That, with the garden hose running helped a lot, though I still never found where it comes out. Unfortunately I did nothing after I cleaned it out and it gunked up again. I need some pointers on where to go after I re-snake the thing. I know I’ll need to buy a grate, but I’m not really sure what I’m looking for. 

15 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

I dont think it is the actual plumbing itself, its literally just the handle that connects to the temperature valve. In my own stupid head I should be able to remove the screw on the current handle--remove the handle from the valve and screw the new handle onto the current valve.

But, Ive done probably around 7-8 DIY projects to my house from laminate flooring, tile, paint, cabinets, ect. NOTHING works that easy and something always goes wrong.

I hear ya. Things never go as easily as they seem.

I recently got a new shower put in and my valve came with it set maxing out at about a medium temperature. With that one, as with many, you just have to use an allen, pop off the lever, and adjust the dial underneath. 

On 8/12/2021 at 2:40 PM, AkronsWitness said:

Just take it apart and see.  You'll be able to put it back together if the new one doesn't mate with the existing.

• Like 1

Am about to take the vanity top off. Neither connector on the left side has a screw in it at all.......not shocking given what I've seen out of the efforts of the previous owner.....

Also just framed a new interior closet wall....the next owner will wonder WTF I was doing, but I put up three top plates because I had two 2x4 left over from other work that were just short......

On 8/23/2021 at 10:57 AM, PrplChilPill said:

Am about to take the vanity top off. Neither connector on the left side has a screw in it at all.......not shocking given what I've seen out of the efforts of the previous owner.....

Also just framed a new interior closet wall....the next owner will wonder WTF I was doing, but I put up three top plates because I had two 2x4 left over from other work that were just short......

Why would there be screws in the vanity top?