James Harrison has Retired.

gopherwrestler

2 minutes ago, TomRalph said:

I think you mean the last quarter of his career. 

Last third. I'll compromise. Really though, he didn't become a starter until later in his career. Had five or six remarkable seasons in the middle out of 14 total years in the NFL. 

19 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

Last third. I'll compromise. Really though, he didn't become a starter until later in his career. Had five or six remarkable seasons in the middle out of 14 total years in the NFL. 

In 2014, Harrison was still a valuable player, with 5.5 sacks in 11 games. Not bad for a then-36 year old, a fantastic career. Just shy of the HOF, only because he was such a late bloomer, this was a story of perseverance and dedication. His level of passion and preparation for football was like Tom Brady and Peyton Manning. Sacked Ben Roethlisberger five times in college when his Kent State team played Miami University.

Better than Zach Thomas and countless others, the SB 43 interception return is arguably the greatest play in the history of NFL title games. Playing a few games with the Patriots ruffled some people towards the end, but Harrison had a right to seek employment when the Steelers released him late last season.   

46 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

I think the HOF has guys with careers like that

I think James has a shot.. he could get in on that vet vote down the road

34 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

I feel that might actually hurt his HOF chances. 

He's not going to the Hall of Fame.  He had one great year, 4 good years, 9 average years.  You don't get into the Hall of Fame as a pass rusher after averaging 5 sacks a season.  Especially not after going your final 7 seasons averaging 3.7 sacks a year.  He started 75 games in his final 7 seasons.  He wasn't a backup until t his past year.  He just wasn't producing like people acted like he was, and he was overrated because he was alright at such an old age.

Lowest sack total for a pass rusher currently in the Hall of Fame is Howie Long at 84.  Harrison had 84.5.

Long did it in 12 years with 8 pro bowls, 3 first team all-pros, 2 second team all-pros and a defensive player of the year award. 
Harrison has 5 pro bowls, 2 all-pros, 2 second team all-pros and a DPOY. 

Just don't think he's got a chance. 

1 hour ago, August4th said:

I think the HOF has guys with careers like that

I think James has a shot.. he could get in on that vet vote down the road

True. Warner. Although he's a quarterback that later on became a media presence. I feel that boosted his chances.

Archived