James Harrison has Retired.

gopherwrestler

4 hours ago, HorizontoZenith said:

He's not going to the Hall of Fame.  He had one great year, 4 good years, 9 average years.  You don't get into the Hall of Fame as a pass rusher after averaging 5 sacks a season.  Especially not after going your final 7 seasons averaging 3.7 sacks a year.  He started 75 games in his final 7 seasons.  He wasn't a backup until t his past year.  He just wasn't producing like people acted like he was, and he was overrated because he was alright at such an old age.

Lowest sack total for a pass rusher currently in the Hall of Fame is Howie Long at 84.  Harrison had 84.5.

Long did it in 12 years with 8 pro bowls, 3 first team all-pros, 2 second team all-pros and a defensive player of the year award. 
Harrison has 5 pro bowls, 2 all-pros, 2 second team all-pros and a DPOY. 

Just don't think he's got a chance. 

As a known Steeler hater I totally disagree, just because he wasn't putting up luscious stats doesn't mean he didn't have a significant impact. He up until this day was could be counted on to be an elite edge setter, please don't confuse box score stats with his impact on the game. The fault in your argument is to just speak on sacks as your only qualifier, even when he wasn't getting to the QB on a regular basis, he still could be counted on to be a team guy and set the edge which is something that is hard to come by at his position, even in his 40's you couldn't run at him and be successful which has significant value. He'll be like Clay Matthews Sr in being a guy who will be on the ballot but wont get in.

Just now, MSURacerDT55 said:

The fault in your argument is to just speak on sacks as your only qualifier, even when he wasn't getting to the QB on a regular basis

There is no fault in my argument because this is an argument as to whether or not he'll make the Hall, not whether or not he was good.  Gotta have both to make it into the Hall of Fame. 

5 hours ago, HorizontoZenith said:

He's not going to the Hall of Fame.  He had one great year, 4 good years, 9 average years.  

I agree he isn't going to the HOF and this doesn't really take anything away from your point, but Harrison was elite in 2010 too.  He was a DPOY candidate and a big reason why that defense was so insanely good against the run.

8 hours ago, JLambert58 said:

I used to be a huge fan of the man.  The way he forced his way out of Pittsburgh last year and signed with the Pats left a bitter, bitter taste in my mouth.  

just watch the SB int, and then watch dupree. There are no bitter feelings here. he got bad treatment here at the end  but that is a different story.

2 hours ago, 3rivers said:

just watch the SB int, and then watch dupree. There are no bitter feelings here. he got bad treatment here at the end  but that is a different story.

I'm sure I'll get over it, but I'm still bitter now.  Can't get that picture of Harrison and Tom Brady out of my head.  :/

1 hour ago, PapaShogun said:

Why was the Patriots thing a big deal again? I mean, wasn't he barely getting any playing time as a Steeler recently? 

Alright, imagine Joe Montana is benched in favor of Steve Young, then he acts like a ******* and demands to be released only to sign with the Cowboys and then they beat you in the NFC Championship.  

I realize this is an old reference for those of you who are more "seasoned."  But you get the idea of how some of us feel.  

43 minutes ago, JLambert58 said:

Alright, imagine Joe Montana is benched in favor of Steve Young, then he acts like a ******* and demands to be released only to sign with the Cowboys and then they beat you in the NFC Championship.  

I realize this is an old reference for those of you who are more "seasoned."  But you get the idea of how some of us feel.  

Did he have any bitter comments towards the Steelers organization? 

2 hours ago, JLambert58 said:

Not that I know of except for saying that he was promised more playing time and then was relegated to the bench.

We'll, if he was promised more playing time, and then Tomlin and his staff pullied a 180, I can sympathize with Harrison in that situation. Depends if the coaching staff made an empty promise to start with.

A similar thing happened last season when Navarro Bowman asked for his release after he didn't like his role on the 49ers. Lynch and Shanahan granted it.

there is a very short list of guys who  were 100 tackle, 10+sack, 5+ turnover edge players in the history of the sport. Im not sure if he makes the  HOF but the  few guys that ever accomplished those stats for even 1 season are all there IIRC.

5 hours ago, JLambert58 said:

I'm sure I'll get over it, but I'm still bitter now.  Can't get that picture of Harrison and Tom Brady out of my head.  :/

the reason for all that was that tomlin and co thought dupree was that much better, dupree and moats.  Nice one tomlin

Archived