Offseason Workout Discussion

bucsfan333

1 minute ago, ravishingone said:

Thrilled Davis running with 1st team already.  

Yup. He and Smith are rotating. But he's doing well enough to keep getting reps. Gotta think he starts on the outside with VHIII in the slot.

11 hours ago, bucsfan333 said:

Rojo has been dropping a lot of passes so far. Eesh.

But he's been staying after practice to get in extra work with it.

The Koetter offense hasnt been overly creative for the RB in the passing game.  Dump offs, screens, and wheel routes is about it.  With the other receiving threats, that s fine for me.  Good to read, he s doing extra work.  

Year 2 I expect Howard to be a Pro Bowler if healthy.  Bold prediction, yup.  If they plan using DJax in the slot more, the TE is going to have mismatches all day long.  Brate wont be forgotten, but Howard is just going to be bettet.

13 minutes ago, ravishingone said:

The Koetter offense hasnt been overly creative for the RB in the passing game.  Dump offs, screens, and wheel routes is about it.  With the other receiving threats, that s fine for me.  Good to read, he s doing extra work.  

Year 2 I expect Howard to be a Pro Bowler if healthy.  Bold prediction, yup.  If they plan using DJax in the slot more, the TE is going to have mismatches all day long.  Brate wont be forgotten, but Howard is just going to be bettet.

Howard has been making some plays the last few practices.

I think we drafted Rojo because he has the physical tools to be really good. We've just gotta mold him into what we want. But catching the ball is something that's almost more natural than taught. You can tell when someone is comfortable catching the ball. And it doesn't look like Rojo is.

It s interesting that Koetter mentioned Whitehead moved like a CB.  Conte throughout his career has been exposed in zone coverage with WRs running at him and by him playing zone.  Either he has trouble reading the play or cant flip his hips quick enough.  Whitehead with experience should be better in this area.

With coaching jobs on the line will they take the safe approach and go with vets in the secondary and who got exposed last season.  Or does Davis and Whitehead get the call in NO.

8 minutes ago, ravishingone said:

It s interesting that Koetter mentioned Whitehead moved like a CB.  Conte throughout his career has been exposed in zone coverage with WRs running at him and by him playing zone.  Either he has trouble reading the play or cant flip his hips quick enough.  Whitehead with experience should be better in this area.

With coaching jobs on the line will they take the safe approach and go with vets in the secondary and who got exposed last season.  Or does Davis and Whitehead get the call in NO.

I would definitely start Davis. He's already shown that he's better on the outside than VHIII. And Hargreaves has shown that he's better right now in the slot than Stewart.

As for safety, man, I dunno. Communication seems to be the biggest thing back there. And for as bad as Conte has been off and on, I've gotta imagine he's got that part down. Even last year, Evans messed up quite a bit for all the great plays he made. It's only June. And a lot of things can change. But right now, I think I'd still stick with Conte. Maybe slowly bring in Whitehead like we did with Evans last year. But we've still got a couple months to go.

Archived