Jump to content
bucsfan333

Offseason Workout Discussion

Recommended Posts

Yeah. I like it for rookie contracts. But when we dip into free agency I like our approach of guaranteeing the first year or two over using signing bonuses. Andre Smith and Michael Johnson would've cost us a fortune in dead money had we given them signing bonuses like everyone else does. It wouldn't have mattered at the time. But if a guy like Jensen flops or can't stay healthy (like Sweezy) we can move on sooner rather than later with no dead money.

I don't care about what kind of money we spend in a given year. As long as we stay under the cap it doesn't really matter. But if it becomes a problem in the season or two after, we end up like Detroit letting Suh walk. Only it's Marpet or Kwon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I always thought Kwon and Marpet would get their 2nd contracts next.  The market has helped set the parameters of a contract this offseason nicely for both positions.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, ravishingone said:

I always thought Kwon and Marpet would get their 2nd contracts next.  The market has helped set the parameters of a contract this offseason nicely for both positions.  

Unfortunately, it's quite a bit. It's deserved. But it's gonna be quite a bit. If D Smith continues improving, he's gonna get a fat contract too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, bucsfan333 said:

Unfortunately, it's quite a bit. It's deserved. But it's gonna be quite a bit. If D Smith continues improving, he's gonna get a fat contract too.

Also, JPP and GMC are bssically playing for their jobs also.  No guaranteed money left on those contracts, probably Dsvid too.  Lots of motivation all around at OBP.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, ravishingone said:

Also, JPP and GMC are bssically playing for their jobs also.  No guaranteed money left on those contracts, probably Dsvid too.  Lots of motivation all around at OBP.  

Yeah. Three big names. Three great players. Three huge contracts. Something's gonna have to happen. Hopefully we keep McCoy and David. We don't have many guys who were drafted and played their entire careers in red and pewter. It would be awesome to add two more to that short list.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, bucsfan333 said:

 

Interesting they tried to make him a safety.  I m figuring 10 rostet spots dedicated to secondary.

Locks- Grimes, Evans, Conte, VH III, Stewart,  Davis, and Whitehead.

The rest- Smith, Elliott, Rivers, Johnson, Tandy, and Robinson.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, ravishingone said:

Interesting they tried to make him a safety.  I m figuring 10 rostet spots dedicated to secondary.

Locks- Grimes, Evans, Conte, VH III, Stewart,  Davis, and Whitehead.

The rest- Smith, Elliott, Rivers, Johnson, Tandy, and Robinson.

I think Tandy and R Smith are probably locks too. That leaves Elliot, Rivers, Johnson, and Robinson fighting for one spot.

If one of the first nine can stand out on special teams, that pretty much eliminates Robinson. Elliot has been playing outside so far. So he's got versatility. And he's been doing well. Rivers has made some plays too.

 

FS - Evans, Tandy

SS - Conte, Whitehead

Outside CB - Grimes, Davis, R Smith

Slot CB - VHIII, Stewart

 

Elliot gives us the most flexibility. Unless we're super in love with Robinson's special teams play. I think those are the top two. With Rivers as a sleeper. I don't think Johnson makes it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, bucsfan333 said:

I think Tandy and R Smith are probably locks too. That leaves Elliot, Rivers, Johnson, and Robinson fighting for one spot.

If one of the first nine can stand out on special teams, that pretty much eliminates Robinson. Elliot has been playing outside so far. So he's got versatility. And he's been doing well. Rivers has made some plays too.

 

FS - Evans, Tandy

SS - Conte, Whitehead

Outside CB - Grimes, Davis, R Smith

Slot CB - VHIII, Stewart

 

Elliot gives us the most flexibility. Unless we're super in love with Robinson's special teams play. I think those are the top two. With Rivers as a sleeper. I don't think Johnson makes it.

I think Rivers eventually beats out Elliott.  Call it a hunch.  I agree Robinson is a goner.  There were a lot of coverage issues and Robinson got paid good money to be on poor coverages.  He certainly didnt help his cause in Charlotte last season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 19/06/2018 at 11:40 PM, ravishingone said:

I think Rivers eventually beats out Elliott.  Call it a hunch.  I agree Robinson is a goner.  There were a lot of coverage issues and Robinson got paid good money to be on poor coverages.  He certainly didnt help his cause in Charlotte last season.

Robinson just isn’t a player you’d put in on defence. I love him on specials and think we really missed him last season on fourth down.

Is that enough to keep him around though? He’s hit his ceiling as a defensive player.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Buc Ball said:

Robinson just isn’t a player you’d put in on defence. I love him on specials and think we really missed him last season on fourth down.

Is that enough to keep him around though? He’s hit his ceiling as a defensive player.

If Whitehead, Elliot, Rivers, Stewart, or someone else proves to be worthwhile on special teams, Robinson is probably gone.

I'd even throw in offensive guys like Dye, Martino, Reedy, Watson, Bobo, and Shaun Wilson. 

Robinson offers zero versatility. Godwin was pretty good playing gunner last year. I'm sure we could find someone worthwhile in such a long list of fridge guys.

This is Robinson's last year. So his contract isn't an issue. But we have a wealth of talent/upside at the positions that generally play gunner on STs. It would make more sense to keep someone extra to play special teams while they develop over using a fourth roster spot strictly for a special teams player.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bucsfan333 said:

If Whitehead, Elliot, Rivers, Stewart, or someone else proves to be worthwhile on special teams, Robinson is probably gone.

I'd even throw in offensive guys like Dye, Martino, Reedy, Watson, Bobo, and Shaun Wilson. 

Robinson offers zero versatility. Godwin was pretty good playing gunner last year. I'm sure we could find someone worthwhile in such a long list of fridge guys.

This is Robinson's last year. So his contract isn't an issue. But we have a wealth of talent/upside at the positions that generally play gunner on STs. It would make more sense to keep someone extra to play special teams while they develop over using a fourth roster spot strictly for a special teams player.

Robinson s lack of being able to effectively play on defense is a problem, especially considering the coverage units gave up 2 return TDs, at least 1 blocked punt, and Robinson s pass interference in Charlotte.  It seems like I m blaming Robinson, not meant to be.  With coverage units that bad, no one is safe especially a guy designated to only play special teams.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Benenoch s job to lose.  I doubt Evan Smith will be the only interior oline backup.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×