Vikings extend Eric Kendricks 5 years 50 mil, 25 mil guaranteed

49erurtaza

16 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

I don't think career production is the only factor. Other factors should show that Diggs should still likely get some strong bucks.

I’d also factor in injuries (some of which he has played through, but they’ve hampered him even then). 

13 minutes ago, skywlker32 said:

$10M+ isn't even a large contract anymore. It's a top 18 WR contract. And that doesn't even mean he has to be a top 18 WR for that to be worth it since you would have to adjust for inflation for older contracts.

That’s true.

Perhaps I should clarify, I don’t think he’s worth a contract like that at the moment. Or at least, you’d be gambling on his health. I also didn’t think Kirk would be a $30M/year guy either, so I’m not saying my opinion reflects the league’s. Just that I don’t believe him to be worth that until he proves he can stay on the field and produce. I don’t even think he’s the best receiver on his team.

If you think Diggs isnt getting a deal thats at the LEAST worth 15 a year, then you clearly just dont pay attention to player contracts and the market in the NFL.

I mean Watkins had never had numbers close to Diggs' recent ones, and then one year in LA really doesnt produce much outside of the 8 TDs (which are the most flukey of the WR stats as it is) , yet is able to net 16 a year. Even if Diggs tore his ACL week 1, hed probably still get something like 2-3 years for 14-16 million a year. 

All this really makes me want to go dig up the Alshon Jeffrey resigning thread....I was called crazy because I argued that the deal, after this offseason, would look like a very good one based off the contracts wed see in this offseason...balked at when I said Watkins AND Robinson would at the worst get 10 million a year...etc

Ha

8 minutes ago, BAConrad said:

If you think Diggs isnt getting a deal thats at the LEAST worth 15 a year, then you clearly just dont pay attention to player contracts and the market in the NFL.

Perhaps not. Lots of overpaid players nowadays. 

I mean Watkins had never had numbers close to Diggs' recent ones,

Check again. 

and then one year in LA really doesnt produce much outside of the 8 TDs (which are the most flukey of the WR stats as it is) , yet is able to net 16 a year.

I agree. I, and most others from what I’ve seen, believe Watkins got extremely overpaid.

Even if Diggs tore his ACL week 1, hed probably still get something like 2-3 years for 14-16 million a year. 

Which would be a massive overpay, especially with a hypothetical injury.

All this really makes me want to go dig up the Alshon Jeffrey resigning thread....I was called crazy because I argued that the deal, after this offseason, would look like a very good one based off the contracts wed see in this offseason...balked at when I said Watkins AND Robinson would at the worst get 10 million a year...etc

Ha

Go for it - one overpay doesn’t justify another IMO. At that point you’re not even arguing that it isn’t an overpay, just that since others are doing it, then it’s okay. 

Jeffery got more money than I would’ve given him too. 

Who is justifying anything?

What myself and others are trying to say is that literally EVERYTHING weve seen from the WR market is strong proof that Diggs should easily net a big deal.

That doesnt mean anyone is saying any of them are smart moves. Cant you see the difference

4 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

Jeffrey got more money than I would've given him too. 

Thats cool.

Just glad youre not my teams GM.

Because if you were, you would have offered him something way too low compared to his value and what he wants, he would have hit free agency, and wed have either had to let him walk and then either sign noone or have to pay Jeffrey way more because the WR market was so inflated, or wed have had to overpay some other WR who might have been worse, someone like Paul Richardson or Wilson, who both got legitimately only a few million dollars less annually than what we gave AJ.

So yeah, I dont really care what YOU would have paid any player. Because based on your posts you dont seem to even under stand the market.

21 minutes ago, BAConrad said:

Who is justifying anything?

What myself and others are trying to say is that literally EVERYTHING weve seen from the WR market is strong proof that Diggs should easily net a big deal.

“Literally”, lol. Pet peeve of mine when it gets misused. 

But no, not “literally everything we’ve seen” has supported your conclusion. Diggs’ production has been closer to Marqise Lee or the latest season of Paul Richardson than it has been to Allen Robinson’s height or Jarvis Landry’s. Add in injury history and it leads me to not thinking he’s worth a huge contract, especially at $15M/year like you suggested. 

Watkins’ contract supports your (and others’) line of thinking, but I view his as more of an outlier. 

Is there a team that’ll pay him that? Who knows, maybe. Even probably. Just not a good deal whether the market dictates it or not. 

That doesnt mean anyone is saying any of them are smart moves. Cant you see the difference

So we’re on the same page then. 

16 minutes ago, BAConrad said:

Thats cool.

Just glad youre not my teams GM.

Because if you were, you would have offered him something way too low compared to his value and what he wants, he would have hit free agency, and wed have either had to let him walk and then either sign noone or have to pay Jeffrey way more because the WR market was so inflated, or wed have had to overpay some other WR who might have been worse, someone like Paul Richardson or Wilson, who both got legitimately only a few million dollars less annually than what we gave AJ.

So yeah, I dont really care what YOU would have paid any player. Because based on your posts you dont seem to even under stand the market.

Okay great, we’ve established I (nor anyone else here) am an NFL GM. 

And no, Jeffery received roughly 150% of Richardson and Wilson’s deals. For more years than Wilson (both are younger than him) and with more GTD money than both. He’s obviously better, so he deserves more, but they’re overpaid WRs too. 

I’d be more invested in players like Marvin Jones, Julian Edelman, or Robert Woods. Mid tier contract players that, while not game changers, are productive and highly useful. Save the big bucks for the elite players. It’s how plenty of teams make a living.

On 4/16/2018 at 12:55 PM, vikingsrule said:

Anthony Barr, Danielle Hunter and Sheldon Richardson are all free agents next year. Trae Waynes too if the fifth year option is declined. 

Barr is probably the most unique, hardest to replace. If Richardson returns to dominance, he's the most important.

Hunter is a really good player too at a premier position. However, he seems limited as a pass rusher.

Waynes is expendable. Not worth the likely contract he'd get on the open market. Solid player but not a key piece. 

This year's draft will be telling on how needs will be prioritized since the Vikes will be in a position to draft BPA. I expect a heavy draft focus to be placed on defense knowing who is up for free agency in a year.

The rest (Griffen, Joseph, Smith, Rhodes) were all locked up last year. 

Maybe a 1% chance we retain Richardson after this year. He is strictly a one and done guy unless he suffers a major injury and destroys all his value - then he might be back.

19 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

Using one of my favorite gifs against me...

You happen to believe Diggs’ career production is indicative of a receiver that gets paid big bucks?

I absolutely believe he should make over 10 million per year with where the WR market currently is at. He's 24 years old just going into what should be the prime years of his career. Sure he's had some injury issues (minor lingering injuries) missing a few games, but despite this, he has still put up nearly 1,000 yards receiving the past 2 years, and is coming off an 8 touchdown season. Beyond the stats, as someone that lives in Minnesota and watches a lot of Vikings games, I strongly believe he has the ability to be a top 10 WR, as long as he stays healthy (Obviously a bit of a concern at this point). He has flashed stretches of brilliance, but has unfortunately sustained a couple lingering injury the past couple years that have hindered his production. I think he is more than worth the risk in that regard as his talent far surpasses any injury concerns.

14 hours ago, ILoveTheVikings said:

Maybe a 1% chance we retain Richardson after this year. He is strictly a one and done guy unless he suffers a major injury and destroys all his value - then he might be back.

not sure how anyone can say this with certainty.

On 4/18/2018 at 3:33 PM, domepatrol91 said:

This doesn’t feel like an overpay of any kind

this is upsetting 

Kirk took all the money.

As for who's next, that's interesting. I hope it's Anthony Barr.

Stefon Diggs should get paid right before he hits Free Agency. Assuming full health from him and the QB, he should be able to put up 1000 yards I think, which is a small but necessary benchmark to getting top dollar I believe. 

Archived