Sell Me On The Guys I'm Not High On

BleedTheClock

I'm having issues getting on board with Roquan Smith. I think he has great instincts and has top-tier sideline to sideline range, but man his size worries me and watching that Oklahoma game gave me concerns about how he will handle offensive linemen in the NFL.

Someone tell me I'm stupid (but at least be kind enough to tell me why xD)

I've read lazy comps of Patrick Willis and I just don't see it.

On 4/18/2018 at 4:28 AM, Tugboat said:

Neither looks like a real "star RB"...but the league is moving away from that anyway.  

I agree with your analysis, but I disagree with this point. I think the league is moving in the opposite direction. It moved away from star HBs, and now, it's moving back to them. It moved away due to a dearth of star talent at the position. That's changing.

3 hours ago, G08 said:

I'm having issues getting on board with Roquan Smith. I think he has great instincts and has top-tier sideline to sideline range, but man his size worries me and watching that Oklahoma game gave me concerns about how he will handle offensive linemen in the NFL.

Someone tell me I'm stupid (but at least be kind enough to tell me why xD)

I've read lazy comps of Patrick Willis and I just don't see it.

Patrick Willis? That's hilarious. He's nothing like Willis. He's strictly a WLB that needs to scrape to stay clean. He's going to get demolished if he plays MIKE. He isn't versatile at all, but he's excellent at what he does. He plays with perfect pacing 99% of the time to evade having to take on blocks. He's like the defensive Le'Veon Bell. Waits for the blockers to get sucked up with everyone else, and then explodes through the running lane and makes the tackle.

He's no Patrick WIllis, but he's going to be a very good player that constantly grades out as one of the better LB's in the league. Just don't ask him to be the MF'er in the middle of your defense, because he's not capable of doing that.

4 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

Patrick Willis? That's hilarious. He's nothing like Willis. He's strictly a WLB that needs to scrape to stay clean. He's going to get demolished if he plays MIKE. He isn't versatile at all, but he's excellent at what he does. He plays with perfect pacing 99% of the time to evade having to take on blocks. He's like the defensive Le'Veon Bell. Waits for the blockers to get sucked up with everyone else, and then explodes through the running lane and makes the tackle.

He's no Patrick WIllis, but he's going to be a very good player that constantly grades out as one of the better LB's in the league. Just don't ask him to be the MF'er in the middle of your defense, because he's not capable of doing that.

He'll be fine at Mike in today's NFL.

I agree with most of these players but I personally like Luke Falk. I know he placed in a spread offense, but it's not like we've NEVER seen a decent quarterback come out of a spread system. He takes a lot of hits but to me he looks like the kind of guy that'll just keep getting up. He's been commended for his work ethic, etc. He has pretty good accuracy that could work out in a variety of NFL systems. He makes his reads pretty quickly, he can maneuver in the pocket well, etc. He's been decent with being a quick-release guy, as he can get the ball out fast but also holds onto it sometimes. I think that's correctable with time in the NFL, as are most of the guy's problems. His arm is decent and he can definitely improve it to a decent NFL standard in a few seasons. He's not fast but still has the guts to run the ball when he has to, and he has pretty good pocket poise to me. I like him because he's pretty accurate, and he's capable of being a quick-release QB with a good ability to read the field in time. I'd love for him to land in New England to be mentored by McDaniels and QB coach Jerry Schuplinski. If they made Garoppolo into the highest-paid player in the league and made Brissett into a decent quarterback in one season, I'd love to see what they could do with Falk. 

I'd ask for somebody to sell me on Tremaine Edmunds, but I understand why he's so hyped. Yes, he's freakishly gifted. I really want to love him, but I'm a film guy. I wouldn't take that risk. He doesn't process things quickly, he doesn't fly to the ball often, and he is often moving in the wrong direction. It makes me wonder what they're doing with him in the film room. It's like he's seeing all of the offense's plays for the first time.

On ‎4‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 10:36 AM, MSURacerDT55 said:

WR 1 in my book, this guy just has it, he owns the ball and is a playmaker. My only gripe with him is that he didn't have much success against tOSU except for one really nice playaction pass in 2015 just because of how good their DBs have been. I actually get a Steve Smith/Slight OBJ feel to him

Yah, elite athletic testing too, so not sure why he didn't see the athleticism. 

1 hour ago, Nastradamus said:

Yah, elite athletic testing too, so not sure why he didn't see the athleticism. 

"Good" athletic testing. He wasn't elite in terms of his testing numbers. But yeah, I was surprised he ran that fast. I don't see him burning dudes in college. He looked slow to me on tape. Consistently caught from behind.

I just don't think his combine numbers match what I see on the field. He looks like a plodder with the ball in his hands. He's certainly quick, but I wouldn't call him fast on the field.

DJ Moore is just a weird prospect to me. He's short and not explosive, but has excellent hands, a great catch radius, and has greatness running after the catch. I just think NFL athletes are going to be able to mirror his speed, which won't allow him to work underneath as much when teams press up on him. He kind of reminds me of Brandon Tate from about 7ish drafts ago coming out of UNC. 

5 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

DJ Moore is just a weird prospect to me. He's short and not explosive, but has excellent hands, a great catch radius, and has greatness running after the catch

100% Correct, but when I see him, I just see "football player"

16 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

100% Correct, but when I see him, I just see "football player"

Yeah, I kinda agree. He's a baller, but just bizarre to try and compare him to anyone successful. Maybe Golden Tate? I would say Steve Smith, but 89 was so much quicker and faster. Guys like Moore typically don't get drafted very high, nor do they typically make it in the NFL. This doesn't mean he can't be successful by any stretch, but I'd have a hard time taking him in the 1st round, where he's now apparently a lock to go.

3 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Yeah, I kinda agree. He's a baller, but just bizarre to try and compare him to anyone successful. Maybe Golden Tate? I would say Steve Smith, but 89 was so much quicker and faster. Guys like Moore typically don't get drafted very high, nor do they typically make it in the NFL. This doesn't mean he can't be successful by any stretch, but I'd have a hard time taking him in the 1st round, where he's now apparently a lock to go.

Well I for one wished he stayed WR 5 or 6 like he was at the end of the season. I think he still goes in the early to mid  2nd round range which would be an awesome value for him IMO

42 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

I don't get how Ridley isn't the consensus 1 wr he is quick and runs precise routes. 

Agreed. I don't really have any major concerns with Ridley. He looks the part, produced with garbage at QB, runs great routes, is solid after the catch, and has excellent short area quickness and deep speed. I guess he could be bigger, but that's about the only thing that isn't synonymous with being a #1 WR.

Archived