MOCK OF AGES!!!! 2018 Edition.

Mastercheddaar

Mock! Of! Ages!

Post Free Agency Edition.

My last mock I had us trading a 2nd and a 3rd for Alex Smith and had us signing Landry.  1 for 1.

I think our strategy is to draft our franchise guy at QB, then target BPA at #4. Later rounds we will need to address WR, OT, RB. 

I also had us picking Sam Darnold at #1. That has not changed. 

That being said here it is:

1st #1 – Sam “The Man” Darnold. QB USC. Why Sam? Well because he has talent, speed, arm strength, accuracy, size, leadership and that ability to make a play out of nothing. He won the PAC 12 with nothing more than Jones and himself. The other QBs in the field have their strengths as well but their weaknesses seem worse to me. Mayfield? Too short and acts like a punk. Rosen? Injury concerns and has he reached his plateau already? Allen? Accuracy issues. Is he the next Derek Anderson?  Compared to the others ball control and throwing motion are easy fixes. They can be trained out by red shirting this season. I’m going with the QB that has the most upside. Haters can hate all they want, but that QB in this draft is Darnold.

1st #4 – Bradley Chubb. DE NC State. Visions of him and Garrett blitzing at the same time aside, Dorsey values DE more than he does RB. With there not being a 1# CB or LT worth taking (argument for Ward or Fitz but I like Chubb better) we will go with the edge rusher. Chubb on our Dline will create too many mismatches and too much pressure on the QB to pass up.  We’ll have a top 10 defense and a top 5 dline this season.

Trade – Browns give #33, our 4th and a 6th for the #29 pick in the draft.

1st #29 – Mike McGlinchey. LT ND. Him and Williams are the best tackles in a weak draft for tackles. Why does he last until #29? There are a lot of other skill positions available ahead of him. WR, CB, RB, LB, DT, DE, QB, DB… I also feel that he will not make it past New England. Alternative here would be sitting at #33 and taking BPA and waiting to see what OTs would be available at #64 or in the 4th? But what fun would that be? Besides a Mock of Ages without an offensive lineman being picked high would feel strange.

2nd #35 – Cortland Sutton. WR SMU. I like Sutton because he is fast and tall with good hands. I think there will be other WRs taken before him however. Ridley, or Moore could go ahead of him. we target WR here because we signed so many CBs and once you get past Barkley and Guice all of the RBs seem identical.

2nd #64 – Rashaad Penny. RB SDS. I’m going Penny here because he already has size and decent speed. Good build for a downhill RB, which is what we need. Duke is our receiving threat HB. I think Penny falls in our laps here because he is not from a brand name school. 

5th and 6th – BPA. Yeah yeah I know this is lazy but who can predict this? Look for any player that is on their all conference team  or an injury with a low risk.

Let the ranting begin! 

That is all

Mastercheddaar

Our first two rounds almost Mirror.....I could live with that Mock.....

I'd still like to see who you round it out with in rounds 5 and 6 (even if not player names, maybe list the positions you would possibly look at?)

I think I want to see what Coleman can do at LT before I think we trade up for someone.

Also Taylor is a bridge QB who can deal with not having the best LT in the world if Coleman doesn't pan out.

Next years class seems much deeper at LT and I would be willing to do that with our first round pick!

Give me a CB in this deep CB draft instead of LT and all my draft day dreams will have come true! (Darnold, Chubb, Sutton, and Penny are EXACTLY what I want so bravo)

If by mock off ages you mean the same picks (and trade) as just about everyone else in the world (minus a carousel of RB names at 64), including just shrugging instead of making any late round picks  ?, you nailed it.

That said, this is probably the draft right here. Ugh.

21 hours ago, DaWg_LB. said:

Our first two rounds almost Mirror.....I could live with that Mock.....

I'd still like to see who you round it out with in rounds 5 and 6 (even if not player names, maybe list the positions you would possibly look at?)

With the 5th and the 6th, it just depends on who is there. We took Caleb Brantley in the late rounds because everyone was afraid of his pending case. This is where serious draft homework and I'm far too lazy to predict it. That being said, I'd look for Dline prospects and LBs. We are pretty good at those positions and these rookies would be in no rush to take the field. They could sit back and learn. 

That is all

Mastercheddaar

Don't like me picking an offensive lineman correct?  Fine... 

rage3.gif

86 the trade.

Stay at #33 and take either Oliver, Davis or Hughes CB. 

Trade! Take the same 4th and 6th rounders move back into the 3rd and secure

3rd - Shaquem Griffin LB UCF. Dude might be missing a hand but wow! We can afford to take a long shot on him. 2 1sts and 3 2nds would allow us to. He wouldn't be expected to start and he could contribute on ST with that lighting speed of his. 

5th and 6th - Target falling talent in the areas of OL, DL and LB. 

That is all

Mastercheddaar

Don’t like taking Chubb when we already have two good DE’s. Plus if this draft class is as weak as you say at LT why trade up to get one of them? Especially when it’s deep in other areas of need like CB and RB. I’d roll with Shon Coleman and see if he can be the LT.  Change Chubb to Barkley and I’m on board. 

Archived