Hitman Mock 4.0 or Something Like That

Steeler Hitman

Round One - - Ronnie Harrison SS Alabama 6'2 207

In this scenario Evans and Vander Esch are not available and the Steelers are forced to go in another direction of need and/or BPA. FS Justin Reid,  SS Ronnie Harrison, WR Courtland Sutton, both UGA RB's Chubb and Michael, Edge Marcus Davenport, and Edge Sam Hubbard are the choices. In a close debate, I went with Harrison over Hubbard.  Odd thatwe would go Bama over Ohio State. We never seem to draft the Bama players. This year may be the exception.

B9319177121Z.1_20151008134630_000_GTBC64

Round Two - - Shaqueem Griffin UCF 6'3 227

I am looking to target needs at ILB, DL, Edge, and or BPA. ILB's Jerome Baker, Shaqueem Griffin, Darius Leonard, Uchenna Nwosu, FS Jesse Bates is available, and DT Tim Settle are available.  In a surprise move, I take the very athletic Shaquem Griffin.

griffin-sack.jpg

Round Three - - Rashaad Penny RB San Diego State  5'11 220  - - He is flying under the radar and too good to pass up the insurance policy here.  He can run, catch and is a willing pass protector.  Deal with Bell or no deal with Bell, I take the draft value here.

9302075_web1_fbc-unlv_100717cs_020.jpg

Round Five A - - Justin Watson 6'4 225 University of Penn.  He is a bigger version of Jordy Nelson. High character local favorite and a solid guy to groom to replace Martavis.  Excellent draft value here.

I am checking off some of the boxes here and going for need and value.

Justin-Watson-Penn-Photo-1024x771.jpg

Round Five B - - Greg Stroman  5'11 180 CB/PR - - They say that Coach T doesn't like to use defensive players on returns.  He will now be hard pressed to keep both or either Stroman and last years pick Cam should be fielding punts to keep AB healthy.

evc_NCF_20170909_del__vt_b86d5001_67c5_4

Round Seven A - - BJ Hill DT NC State 6'3 311- - We just got tougher up the gut.  This guy can play the run and allows some versatility in our Nickel to free up Javon Hargraves. My plan B is Texas' Poona Ford.

usa-today-8178529.0.jpg

Round Seven B - - Max Redfeild 6' 200 IUP FS -- Long shot, but talented kid who got into trouble at Notre Dame. Poor Combine 40 times, but giving him an opportunity for a fresh start.

ct-notre-dame-players-suspended-spt-2016

Breakdown:

1 SS

1 ILB

1 RB

1 WR

1 Slot CB/PR

1 NT/DT

1 FS

Let her rip with the feedback.

Love Harrison.

Love Griffen but I see too much struggles at LB for him.  Could be better at Slot Safety.  Would hate him as a MLB.

Love Penny.

Not enough film for me on Watson.

Love Stroman. Under the radar CB who is very skilled.

Hill is solid.  I can get on board.

Hate the Redfield pick.  Big name prospect with no skills that stand out.  Wasted spot.

Griffen, Watson, and Redfield killed it for me ? 

C-

I LOVE picks 3 and both 5's.

1) I am not sold in Harrison.  I feel like we have two of him already on the roster in Davis and Burnett.  I am not sure where he plays in year 1 or year 2.  Davis has two years left, and Burnett has 3.  Harrison seems like more of the same.  We will have three flex safeties that are FS/SS hybrids, not including Wilcox.  EVEN if Davis is the long term FS option (I have my doubts), that means Harrison and Burnett share snaps??  I think that safety is ONLY an option if a true FS is there (Bates or Edmunds).  Just my feeling on it.  In your scenario, I'd rather try Davenport or Hubbard or see who is sliding for BPA purposes (Guice or an OL).

2) I think that this waaaay too high for Griffin.  Don't get me wrong, love the kid and the story and even the player, but not at 60.  Gimme Nwosu, OO or Bates here.  I guess that it is a helluva projection for me to believe him as a MLB when he is a pass rusher at UCF and this is a helluva investment.

3) Love Penny.  I see the need here.  I like Hines, but same idea.  Bell or no Bell, he has value here.

5a) Love Watson.  Sleeper pick.

5b)  Almost took Stroman in my mock.  Steelers brass was there and Tomlin loves his VA guys.  Makes sense.  I like the idea of Sutton or Stroman finally getting Brown off of punts.

7a)  Love Hill, just fear that he might not be here.  Would be a STEAL.  Comp for Shade Tree and a different body to throw in there.

7b)  Don't get it.  I see the need for the FS body, but there has to be more here.  Maybe as a UDFA....

Wouldn't be angry, just would have a bunch of questions.  B+

I personally do not like the first three rounds. Not sure how much it would help to draft a safety in the first round. Open for competition there , specifically to push Davis, but I don't think a top 30 guy is a good place to start competition picking. The pick could end up being a 4th or 5th safety and the best case scenario is probably 3rd. i just cant justify that this year.

I love Griffin, but I couldn't be happy (to start) with him in the second. ILB is by far our greatest need, and while his athleticism fits the mold perfectly, its a huge risk and I cant pull that trigger in the second after taking another SS in the first. 

Okay with the RB in the 3rd, but would rather just not do it this year. Wouldn't be upset, but would rather invest elsewhere and completely overhaul the position next year. 

After that I am a fan of the rest for the most part, but the 1st round S and our largest position of impact need going to a huge risk is too much for me. 

Pretty decent mock, Hitman.

I've got no problem with Harrison as the #1.  He'd be waiting in the wings for the first injury to Davis or Burnett.

Shaq 'Griffin I'm intrigued by.  Good player given his handicap.  But I think #60 is too high for him.

Rashaad Penny I'm a big fan of.  Would be happy to add him to the team.  Rd. 3 seems about right.

Watson is interesting.  Big, fast route runner.  Kind of like a poor man's Cooper Kupp.  Don't know if I'd grab him that early but intriguing late rd guy.

Stroman looks great, wasn't familiar with him, but I checked him out real quick and he definitely passes the eye test.

Hill looks like a good add in the 7th.

Redfield looks to have some stiff hips.  Not loving that pick as much.   

4 hours ago, Steeler Hitman said:

Round One - - Ronnie Harrison SS Alabama 6'2 207

In this scenario Evans and Vander Esch are not available and the Steelers are forced to go in another direction of need and/or BPA. FS Justin Reid,  SS Ronnie Harrison, WR Courtland Sutton, both UGA RB's Chubb and Michael, Edge Marcus Davenport, and Edge Sam Hubbard are the choices. In a close debate, I went with Harrison over Hubbard.  Odd thatwe would go Bama over Ohio State. We never seem to draft the Bama players. This year may be the exception.

I'm not a fan of Harrison at all.  I'd take any of the players you listed above him, and especially Hubbard or Davenport.  

Round Two - - Shaqueem Griffin UCF 6'3 227

I am looking to target needs at ILB, DL, Edge, and or BPA. ILB's Jerome Baker, Shaqueem Griffin, Darius Leonard, Uchenna Nwosu, FS Jesse Bates is available, and DT Tim Settle are available.  In a surprise move, I take the very athletic Shaquem Griffin.

I'd have to go Jessie Bates over him.  I'm not a fan of Griffin at all.  I see him as way too limited when going up against the big boys and way too many tackles missed.  

Round Three - - Rashaad Penny RB San Diego State  5'11 220  - - He is flying under the radar and too good to pass up the insurance policy here.  He can run, catch and is a willing pass protector.  Deal with Bell or no deal with Bell, I take the draft value here.

This is a decent pick.  If I resign Bell though, no way do I waste a 3 on a RB.  

Round Five A - - Justin Watson 6'4 225 University of Penn.  He is a bigger version of Jordy Nelson. High character local favorite and a solid guy to groom to replace Martavis.  Excellent draft value here.

I am checking off some of the boxes here and going for need and value.

I like this one.  He was in my mock too.  He's not bigger than Jordy Nelson.  He's smaller actually.  6'2 5/8" 213 for Watson at the senior bowl.  Nelson was 6'2 5/8" 217.  Virtually identical.  Similar athleticism, but Watson edging him there.

http://www.draftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=1005895&draftyear=2018&genpos=WR

http://draftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=12364&draftyear=2008&genpos=

Round Five B - - Greg Stroman  5'11 180 CB/PR - - They say that Coach T doesn't like to use defensive players on returns.  He will now be hard pressed to keep both or either Stroman and last years pick Cam should be fielding punts to keep AB healthy.

Another one I like.  He was in my mock too.  

Round Seven A - - BJ Hill DT NC State 6'3 311- - We just got tougher up the gut.  This guy can play the run and allows some versatility in our Nickel to free up Javon Hargraves. My plan B is Texas' Poona Ford.

I like this one as well.  

Round Seven B - - Max Redfeild 6' 200 IUP FS -- Long shot, but talented kid who got into trouble at Notre Dame. Poor Combine 40 times, but giving him an opportunity for a fresh start.

I wouldn't even consider this guy.  

Breakdown:

1 SS

1 ILB

1 RB

1 WR

1 Slot CB/PR

1 NT/DT

1 FS

Let her rip with the feedback.

16 hours ago, kurgan said:

I LOVE picks 3 and both 5's.

1) I am not sold in Harrison.  I feel like we have two of him already on the roster in Davis and Burnett.  I am not sure where he plays in year 1 or year 2.  Davis has two years left, and Burnett has 3.  Harrison seems like more of the same.  We will have three flex safeties that are FS/SS hybrids, not including Wilcox.  EVEN if Davis is the long term FS option (I have my doubts), that means Harrison and Burnett share snaps??  I think that safety is ONLY an option if a true FS is there (Bates or Edmunds).  Just my feeling on it.  In your scenario, I'd rather try Davenport or Hubbard or see who is sliding for BPA purposes (Guice or an OL).

Very valid arguments made by you. The Steelers Safeties are virtually the same. Although I have been saying and believe that you will see a leap in Davis' play now that he is moving to FS.  I see Harrison as an eventual replacement for Burnett who is going to be on the other side of 30 next year this time. I see the Steelers playing more Nickel with three safeties.  This mock is also based on some players that we expect to be there to be gone. I was close to going Hubbard and debated pretty hard as there are more safeties this year to be had. If you were in the war room with me, you may have convinced me to go Hubbard.  I was not going to invest a #1 on a RB with the depth of this class, definitely not an OL here. I may have been trying to find a trade down partner if it came to those options. Great feedback.

2) I think that this waaaay too high for Griffin.  Don't get me wrong, love the kid and the story and even the player, but not at 60.  Gimme Nwosu, OO or Bates here.  I guess that it is a helluva projection for me to believe him as a MLB when he is a pass rusher at UCF and this is a helluva investment.

My thought is that I know that Tomlin likes very athletic types of LB'ers.  Again, we play a lot of Nickel and I didn't necessarily see him in a Jon Bostic role as a run stuffer.  Because of his athleticism and character, I think he will be drafted much higher than many are projecting. Picking 28th is virtually at the top of the next round.  I was actually saving my true sleeper pick for my final mock, LB Fred Warner from BYU.  I do not hear many people talking about him.  He checks a lot of the boxes and he looks like he can develop well on the NFL level.

I took Nwosu in another mock.  I don't have Bates rated as highly as others do, but he would not make it to us in round three ( I see him as a late three to early four prospect and others have mocked him from late #1 to #2. Who is OO?

3) Love Penny.  I see the need here.  I like Hines, but same idea.  Bell or no Bell, he has value here.

I have been a Penny fan from the jump.  I think he is going to be a stud in the NFL.  I like what he can develop into.

5a) Love Watson.  Sleeper pick.

Love this kid.  He is a baller. 

5b)  Almost took Stroman in my mock.  Steelers brass was there and Tomlin loves his VA guys.  Makes sense.  I like the idea of Sutton or Stroman finally getting Brown off of punts.

I have had him in other mocks. Under-rated CB ability, but his PR skills are what I love immediately. We have not had a consistent dynamic PR guy since the early AB days.  AB is too valuable to our offense to have him fielding punts.

7a)  Love Hill, just fear that he might not be here.  Would be a STEAL.  Comp for Shade Tree and a different body to throw in there.

A very deep position. I am not sure where he would fall, but if he was gone, I would be happy with a very under-rated Poona Ford from Texas.

7b)  Don't get it.  I see the need for the FS body, but there has to be more here.  Maybe as a UDFA....

I liked this kid coming out of HS. I am praying that he has his head on straight. He has talent. At this point, I would give him a shot. Nothing to lose.

Wouldn't be angry, just would have a bunch of questions.  B+

Not my favorite mock, but I tried to check the boxes and be realistic as I could in this scenario, even throwing myself a few curves of players that I had hoped would be there, who are not. That is the draft.

17 hours ago, Armsteeld2 said:

Love Harrison.

Love Griffen but I see too much struggles at LB for him.  Could be better at Slot Safety.  Would hate him as a MLB.

Love Penny.

Not enough film for me on Watson.

Love Stroman. Under the radar CB who is very skilled.

Hill is solid.  I can get on board.

Hate the Redfield pick.  Big name prospect with no skills that stand out.  Wasted spot.

Griffen, Watson, and Redfield killed it for me

C-

Man those F's really muck up the draft GPA. :D 

Redfield and Watson were Homer picks.  Redfield's issues are off the field and yes he ran extremely poor at the Combine. I was disappointed for him. The F on Watson is one I would fight. He has upside, decent hands, a big body  and very deceptive speed. This would be a heck of a 5th round pick for us.

I am not seeing Griffin as a replacement for Shazier or being a traditional 3 down ILB.  He will play special teams and excel in the Nickel defense, which we are now playing about 60% of the time. He makes our defense a lot faster. Character, hustle, and athleticism help us tremendously.  I do believe that he will be able to contribute more as a three down LB in a year two.

16 hours ago, Dcash4 said:

I personally do not like the first three rounds. Not sure how much it would help to draft a safety in the first round. Open for competition there , specifically to push Davis, but I don't think a top 30 guy is a good place to start competition picking. The pick could end up being a 4th or 5th safety and the best case scenario is probably 3rd. i just cant justify that this year.

I love Griffin, but I couldn't be happy (to start) with him in the second. ILB is by far our greatest need, and while his athleticism fits the mold perfectly, its a huge risk and I cant pull that trigger in the second after taking another SS in the first. 

Okay with the RB in the 3rd, but would rather just not do it this year. Wouldn't be upset, but would rather invest elsewhere and completely overhaul the position next year. 

After that I am a fan of the rest for the most part, but the 1st round S and our largest position of impact need going to a huge risk is too much for me. 

Fair enough. See the explanation of my other responses. (I messed up trying to group quote). I am with you on the RB, but at this point, I cannot trust what is happening with Bell. I was dead against drafting a RB earlier in the off season, but how this fell, and seeing a back like Penny, I couldn't pass him up. He would be game ready game one in 2019. 

13 hours ago, Magnus-Viktor said:

Fair enough about Harrison. I have a feeling Griffin will be drafted before his brother and possibly even before we pick in round two. I think he can make the transition. If you "form" tackle well, you can get away with not having a hand to grab with.  Remember the great Lombardi quote, "Grab, grab, grab, grab! Everybody grabbing and nobody's tackling!"  LOL

I think I took Bates in a mock. He has upside, but I don't think he is highly rated as many others have him.  The good thing is he is young and coach-able.

Thanks for the correct figures on Watson. Whatever site I got his height from obviously elevated his height. I have seen some film on him and he looks taller than 6'2 to me. but fair enough I stand corrected. My point, he looks like he could be a good pro WR to me.

I will try one final mock this weekend or early next week prior to the actual draft.  Thanks for the feedback.

Archived