Does the NFL really need a draft?

everlong

5 minutes ago, everlong said:

Just a food for thought. Would the NFL be better off without a draft? To me, these college players should be free to play for whoever they want.

The draft system is literally the best thing about the NFL. 

Just a food for thought. Would the NFL be better off without a draft? To me, these college players should be free to play for whoever they want.

Then you have European soccer, where the same 4-5 large markets compete for the championship every year.

What's to stop the patriots from signing 10 first round caliber players per year and the browns from getting maybe one? 

I get the idea behind this but it wouldn't work since teams would either have to outbid each other for rookies (Rookie QBs would make ridiculous money again) or you'd have to come up with a way to spread the rookies out evenly that improves on the draft....don't see either of those as a positive.

Some teams would literally cease to exist if there wasn't a chance to draft players who they deem are good enough prospects for the team.

You can't beat out big markets and even if you do it for a little while, it's not sustainable, not without the Draft.

3 minutes ago, cddolphin said:

Then you have European soccer, where the same 4-5 large markets compete for the championship every year.

Apples to oranges. NFL has a salary cap. You can only have 53 players on your roster. Would you be willing to spend big bucks on an unproven player?

Just now, everlong said:

Apples to oranges. NFL has a salary cap. You can only have 53 players on your roster. Would you be willing to spend big bucks on an unproven player?

Fair enough but parity still takes a big hit if you remove the draft. Maybe 1st/2nd round prospects stay fairly even distributed across teams but when you get midde-rounds type salaries, plenty of prospects would take a small pay cut on their rookie contract to be coached by Belichick or Carroll.

Just now, cddolphin said:

Fair enough but parity still takes a big hit if you remove the draft. Maybe 1st/2nd round prospects stay fairly even distributed across teams but when you get midde-rounds type salaries, plenty of prospects would take a small pay cut on their rookie contract to be coached by Belichick or Carroll.

I doubt it would take much of a hit at all (of course I don't really believe the NFL has much parity to begin with).

7 minutes ago, DingoLadd said:

What's to stop the patriots from signing 10 first round caliber players per year and the browns from getting maybe one? 

I get the idea behind this but it wouldn't work since teams would either have to outbid each other for rookies (Rookie QBs would make ridiculous money again) or you'd have to come up with a way to spread the rookies out evenly that improves on the draft....don't see either of those as a positive.

The salary cap.....

4 minutes ago, DingoLadd said:

Teams like the Jaguars/Browns have 80+ million dollars in cap year to year, there's no balance there. 

That is by choice. Having a draft doesn't change that. And I believe that is inaccurate since NFL teams are required to spend something like 90% of the cap over a 3 year rolling period but even if it is true having a draft isn't solving that problem. 

1 minute ago, candyman93 said:

So how low in the draft does everlongs team pick?

It would explain the thread.

To me its more about freedom of employment. Would you want to be forced to go work in a city you have no interest in living in? 

Drafts are legal  because of collective bargaining but it doesn't make them right. 

Archived