Does the NFL really need a draft?

everlong

19 hours ago, youngosu said:

Yes, the draft exists to reduce the amount of money teams  are spending on rookies. 

I've literally brought up the very story multiple times

Of course they are gonna sell it as being for competitive balance. You never come right out and say you are committing anti-trust violations. 

Ummm...no. That's not why the draft exists. At all. As I said, the reason why the draft first came to be is incredibly well-documented. You've brought up your own theory on the draft "multiple times", but as far as I can tell...that's about it. There's no "very story" in your posts, just your theory about how the draft exists to destroy player earning potential. And the draft was created back when the league was far from the money printing machine it is today. 

But...whatever.

I'll just say (again) that the league needs a draft (which isn't even what I was discussing there), and let the rest of you have your fun. Peace! 

48 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

Ummm...no. That's not why the draft exists. At all. As I said, the reason why the draft first came to be is incredibly well-documented. You've brought up your own theory on the draft "multiple times", but as far as I can tell...that's about it. There's no "very story" in your posts, just your theory about how the draft exists to destroy player earning potential. And the draft was created back when the league was far from the money printing machine it is today. 

But...whatever.

I'll just say (again) that the league needs a draft (which isn't even what I was discussing there), and let the rest of you have your fun. Peace! 

Stan Kostka's holdout and ability to get more money from a bidding war is what led to the draft. The draft was instituted to eliminate such bidding wars. I agree that its incredibly well documented though so at least we agree on that. My "theory" is based on that incredibly well documented FACTS. 

The NFL has spent millions on lawyers fees to keep the draft legal and why do you suppose that is, because they are fully aware of what the loss of a draft would mean to their incomes and the costs of having a competitive team.

In a way, the NBA is trying it out by allowing total FA after their initial rookie contracts are up and just look at how competitive their league is??? Golden State if they stay healthy, could dominate the NBA for the next 5 to 7 years. They are already paying average players monster contracts and they only have to worry about around 12 players a team. What would the NFL become having to pay 53 players a team??? Just maybe that is why the NFL is trying to get rid of kickoffs, then they could reduce their rosters by 20 to 25 players and reduce their draft to 2 rounds!!!

Archived