Does the NFL really need a draft?

everlong

9 hours ago, everlong said:

Apples to oranges. NFL has a salary cap. You can only have 53 players on your roster. Would you be willing to spend big bucks on an unproven player?

Maybe 4 or 5 franchises would totally dominate the NFL, the rookie salary cap shows that franchises are quite willing to spend huge amounts on unproven rookies. just look at the money they paid prior to the rookie salary cap???

10 hours ago, DingoLadd said:

Teams like the Jaguars/Browns have 80+ million dollars in cap year to year, there's no balance there. 

the jags dont have 80 million year to year.  we have maybe 20 at most and most of that money is likely to be spent on extensions for Jalen Ramsey, Myles Jack, Yannick Ngakoue. probably would still need to cut a guy or something to make enough room. 

The nfl draft is unethical to the individual but ethical to the mass of players. 

The nfl draft creates parity in the league. Or the myth of parity. Every team is worth watching. This increases revenue over the entirety of the league, not just the 4-5 biggest clubs. Without the draft and cap team alike the cowboys, Giants and other high revenue teams would dominate the game. No one wants to watch there team get beat by 30 points week in week out. 

Do they need it? Honestly, no, probably not. But I do think it's the best overall solution for the parties involved, for a handful of reasons.

I do actually disagree with the instant reaction that most posters seem to have had to this thread, though. Everyone seems to think this would kill the chances of a team like the Browns to get good prospects, and I could almost seeing it doing the opposite. The Browns (or other teams) being terrible never stops them from being able to attract free agents, so why would it stop them with rookie free agents? It'd just be the same tactic of throwing more money at them than the good teams could. You'll get some players that will take a pay cut to go to a better situation, just like with free agency, but if you have teams like the Browns or Colts being able to throw $10M at multiple rookies if they feel like it, guys aren't going to turn down that instant lump of money to go to Philly or Pittsburgh for league minimum. The money will talk to some. The situation will talk to others. And some will just try to go to LA or NY or Miami because it seems fun. But I don't think bad teams would be shut out entirely, because it's normally the bad teams that have the money. I DO think it would eventually make bad teams worse because they'd throw money at rookies who then would fail (like the mid-late 2000s Raiders), or even if they succeeded, you'd still have all your money pre-tied up in a couple of guys (like the early 2010s Lions.)

4 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

Do they need it? Honestly, no, probably not. But I do think it's the best overall solution for the parties involved, for a handful of reasons.

I do actually disagree with the instant reaction that most posters seem to have had to this thread, though. Everyone seems to think this would kill the chances of a team like the Browns to get good prospects, and I could almost seeing it doing the opposite. The Browns (or other teams) being terrible never stops them from being able to attract free agents, so why would it stop them with rookie free agents? It'd just be the same tactic of throwing more money at them than the good teams could. You'll get some players that will take a pay cut to go to a better situation, just like with free agency, but if you have teams like the Browns or Colts being able to throw $10M at multiple rookies if they feel like it, guys aren't going to turn down that instant lump of money to go to Philly or Pittsburgh for league minimum. The money will talk to some. The situation will talk to others. And some will just try to go to LA or NY or Miami because it seems fun. But I don't think bad teams would be shut out entirely, because it's normally the bad teams that have the money. I DO think it would eventually make bad teams worse because they'd throw money at rookies who then would fail (like the mid-late 2000s Raiders), or even if they succeeded, you'd still have all your money pre-tied up in a couple of guys (like the early 2010s Lions.)

Which is one of the reasons why the draft is a better and more viable option.

Ah, the old "let's feel bad for players because they're people to and should be able to do their job wherever they want" argument. It's always funny to me when people use the "everyday job" argument, for a few reasons:

1. They're getting paid millions of dollars to play a game

2. Try a "contract holdout" when you out perform your pay in REAL LIFE. It's called "termination".

19 hours ago, youngosu said:

To me its more about freedom of employment. Would you want to be forced to go work in a city you have no interest in living in? 

Drafts are legal  because of collective bargaining but it doesn't make them right. 

Drafts are necessary because the NFL is a league, and you can't give a huge disadvantage to certain markets just because of location. And many players who were negative about the city in which they were drafted, changed their minds over time. We also have to remember a career is roughly 15 years max, if a player is lucky. Also, a player is free to leave a team later, because of free agency.   

11 hours ago, biletnikoff said:

Um...whats so different  with the nfl and the draft LOL ..it' the same teams over and over. 

As long as people are dumb enough to keep going to these draft events and watch it on tv like some popular series..theyll keep doing it. Nothing says dumb human like a crowd of old men, cheering or booing  what jock a team picks up.

The reason for this isn't the draft.  It is the management of the individual teams.  For 25 years lousy management made the Packers the Siberia of the NFL.  It wasn't until the BOD stopped interfering in football operations and hired a good GM - Ron Wolf - to run the team did our fortunes finally turn around.

21 hours ago, everlong said:

Just a food for thought. Would the NFL be better off without a draft? To me, these college players should be free to play for whoever they want.

The NFL would then become like the NBA.  Three or four teams full of all-stars, and the rest of the league would be a bunch of also-rans.  In my opinion, the way NBA stars have started choosing their own teams has really made me lose interest in the league.  I prefer the days when great players would work with what they were given and elevate the team to excellence.  If all the best players decide to play for the same team, what's the point of watching?

The NFL's current system of parity is one of the things that elevates it above all the rest.

1 hour ago, LaserFocus said:

Drafts are necessary because the NFL is a league, and you can't give a huge disadvantage to certain markets just because of location. And many players who were negative about the city in which they were drafted, changed their minds over time. We also have to remember a career is roughly 15 years max, if a player is lucky. Also, a player is free to leave a team later, because of free agency.   

You can have a league without a draft. They aren't tied together. There are sports leagues all over the world that operate without drafts. 

You might not like the idea that certain markets are at a disadvantage but that doesn't mean you can't have such a scenario (for the record, I don't believe eliminating the draft puts any markets at a disadvantage)

14 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

The NFL would then become like the NBA.  Three or four teams full of all-stars, and the rest of the league would be a bunch of also-rans.  In my opinion, the way NBA stars have started choosing their own teams has really made me lose interest in the league.  I prefer the days when great players would work with what they were given and elevate the team to excellence.  If all the best players decide to play for the same team, what's the point of watching?

The NFL's current system of parity is one of the things that elevates it above all the rest.

No it wouldn't. 

There is no evidence that not having a draft would effect parity at all. As a matter of fact the NBA has a draft; where's the parity?

Its amazing how many of you act like everyone would choose the same team if there was no draft. There is no evidence of this plus its literally impossible because teams still only have 53 rosters spots, teams still only have so much money to spend on talent, and the NFL has a SALARY CAP. 

You are essentially making an argument for going back to the reserve system where players never get any freedom. Is that really what you want?

2 minutes ago, youngosu said:

No it wouldn't. 

There is no evidence that not having a draft would effect parity at all. As a matter of fact the NBA has a draft; where's the parity?

Its amazing how many of you act like everyone would choose the same team if there was no draft. There is no evidence of this plus its literally impossible because teams still only have 53 rosters spots, teams still only have so much money to spend on talent, and the NFL has a SALARY CAP. 

You are essentially making an argument for going back to the reserve system where players never get any freedom. Is that really what you want?

If you were a great prospect, who would you rather play for, the Patriots, or one of the other AFC North teams?  All other things being equal, it wouldn't be much of a decision for me.  I'll take the winning team every single time.  If you are a great college wide receiver, would you choose a team with a good quarterback or a team with a lousy one?

The NBA does have a draft, but where things have gone downhill in that league is with the older superstars like LeBron James and Kevin Durant creating their own rosters.  I'll say it again: unless your team has several players of that caliber, what is the point of even watching?  I'm in Minnesota.  Does anyone really believe the Timberwolves have a chance to win a championship in the next 3-4 years?  I sure don't.

Archived