Seahawks to release Malik McDowell

goldfishwars

7 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

What was the extent of the injuries anyways? I remember it was an ATV accident that messed up his face quite a bit. I have never seen any pictures or anything though. 

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/seahawks/malik-mcdowell-could-return-this-season-from-really-bad-concussion-suffered-in-atv-accident/

Really bad concussion - a less scary term for traumatic brain injury.    The facial injuries aren’t the issue.  

1 hour ago, One Punch Man said:

These hurt so much to read. Pls stop.

Some people (Fansided here) were on-board with the pick, especially since the Seahawks had Michael Bennett to "mentor" him:

9916024-nfl-combine-1-420x260.jpeg&c=sc&

Malik McDowell, Defensive Tackle, Second Round, Pick 35

The short of it: McDowell is a first-round talent who just needs to learn to be more consistent. He is still a very young human being as McDowell will turn 21 years old in June. McDowell is athletic and strong. He fits the Seahawks system really well. Plus, he will be mentored by Michael Bennett. With all that, if McDowell fails as a pro, it is because he chose to.

Grade: A-
Other Grades: Sports Illustrated, B; Bleacher Report, C-

3 minutes ago, bzane said:

Some people (Fansided here) were on-board with the pick, especially since the Seahawks had Michael Bennett to "mentor" him:

The short of it: McDowell is a first-round talent who just needs to learn to be more consistent. He is still a very young human being as McDowell will turn 21 years old in June. McDowell is athletic and strong. He fits the Seahawks system really well. Plus, he will be mentored by Michael Bennett. With all that, if McDowell fails as a pro, it is because he chose to.

Well, McDowell did get arrested in December of last year, so it's safe to assume that he learned a thing or two from Michael.

21 minutes ago, bzane said:

Lol. That failure as a pro part is so ironically harsh. Guy was kind of a headcase... Breaks his head before camp.

I mean, I get the pick. I came around to like it. The value was fine. Interior DL/pass-rusher was a need and he fitted the mold. But our other more pressing needs combined with the picks we could’ve (and didn’t make) that piss me off/depress me.

3 hours ago, Darth Pees said:

He's a bust in the same sense that Sergio Kindle was a bust for Baltimore.

Kindle busted his head open falling down stairs, and McDowell suffered a serious injury in an ATV accident. Neither have anything to do with playing ability.

OMG Sergio. I really was expecting multiple pro bowls from him playing opposite Suggs when he was drafted. He was perfect from a football standpoint in that Ravens defense.

36 minutes ago, One Punch Man said:

Lol. That failure as a pro part is so ironically harsh. Guy was kind of a headcase... Breaks his head before camp.

I mean, I get the pick. I came around to like it. The value was fine. Interior DL/pass-rusher was a need and he fitted the mold. But our other more pressing needs combined with the picks we could’ve (and didn’t make) that piss me off/depress me.

Bennett did well teaching him what matters off the field.

11 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

OMG Sergio. I really was expecting multiple pro bowls from him playing opposite Suggs when he was drafted. He was perfect from a football standpoint in that Ravens defense.

Aaaaah, I wouldn't worry too-too much about Sergio! His playing career maybe ended prematurely, but he and his family developed that business, and they're sittin' pretty right about now!

Sergio: "It be for dudes who ain't into, you know, readin' books 'n shee-yat!"

Image result for sergio kindle

Image result for kindle books

2 hours ago, Calvert28 said:

He was the last athletic pass rusher we've drafted up until this past year with Bowser and Tim Williams. I was hyped about him and Terrence Cody coming out of the same draft class.

4 hours ago, bzane said:

Aaaaah, I wouldn't worry too-too much about Sergio! His playing career maybe ended prematurely, but he and his family developed that business, and they're sittin' pretty right about now!

Sergio: "It be for dudes who ain't into, you know, readin' books 'n shee-yat!"

Image result for sergio kindle

Image result for kindle books

Sergio sells cars at a dodge dealership in Austin

11 hours ago, Classic said:

Man he had so much promise as Pass Rusher. This why teams need to keep a close eye rookies, a atv ride should have never been allowed by the Seahawks.

lol... what? This a business, not a day care. Your employees need to be responsible for themselves. 

20 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

lol... what? This a business, not a day care. Your employees need to be responsible for themselves. 

Nah I agree with @Classic here. There are aspects of a contract that disallow professional athletes from doing certain activities such as dangerous sports. When you are investing millions of dollars and high draft capital into these individuals, you do not want that investment getting damaged. In no way should he be ATVing, and no way should the Seahawks have allowed him to.

So I suppose two questions that should be asked:

A. Will Malik McDowell be able to pass another team's physical?

B. If he is able to pass a physical, where should he sign? 

I would think Detroit, Indianapolis or Tennessee would be good fits. 

Archived