Dolphins sign TE Gavin Escobar

Tetsujin

I have no problem saying that even after signing Escobar we have one TE on our roster right now that’s worth keeping and that’s MarQueis Gray.  I see the other three on the roster as camp bodies.  This draft isn’t a great TE draft at the top, but there’s a lot of TE depth in which I can see any of the the top 4 TE’s being a solid starter for us if we draft them. 

I have the top 4 TE’s in the 2018 draft as:

Goedert

Gesicki

Hurst

Andrews / Fumigali

8 minutes ago, Swampbilly said:

I have no problem saying that even after signing Escobar we have one TE on our roster right now that’s worth keeping and that’s MarQueis Gray.  I see the other three on the roster as camp bodies.  This draft isn’t a great TE draft at the top, but there’s a lot of TE depth in which I can see any of the the top 4 TE’s being a solid starter for us if we draft them. 

I think AJ Derby is a border-line roster lock tbh (considering Gray, Duarte, and Escobar are the other 3 under contract).

I agree it's the biggest need on the team right now after LB.

On 4/16/2018 at 3:19 PM, freak_of_nature said:

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-dolphins/fl-sp-dolphins-gavin-escobar-20180416-story.html

I remember wanting Miami to draft him. Good thing we didn't I guess.

10 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

I thought Escobar would be a good player when he was drafted - but his career thus far has been nothing of note. We need the TE help and depth, so I don't mind it.

I was the same way with Escobar during his draft.  Of course, I also bought some of the hype on Michael Egnew.  At least I hit on Jimmy Graham?  

You have to remember, there has been a big shift is the way TE's are being used in the NFL right now. I also scouted Escobar, here are his stats. 4.8 forty, 6'6", 260lbs. He was a "move" TE in college, so basically he played WR. He also came to football late, he was a basketball player. He has never been a good in-line blocker. Just like Duarte, Gavin was a receiving weapon in college. The Cowboys used Gavin to fool defenses when using multiple TE's. His 8 TD's proves that can get open when playing against an NFL defense. Gavin has an enormous catch radius, and is excellent in bringing down jump balls. He just won't be a blocking TE.

15 hours ago, ericsvibe said:

You have to remember, there has been a big shift is the way TE's are being used in the NFL right now. I also scouted Escobar, here are his stats. 4.8 forty, 6'6", 260lbs. He was a "move" TE in college, so basically he played WR. He also came to football late, he was a basketball player. He has never been a good in-line blocker. Just like Duarte, Gavin was a receiving weapon in college. The Cowboys used Gavin to fool defenses when using multiple TE's. His 8 TD's proves that can get open when playing against an NFL defense. Gavin has an enormous catch radius, and is excellent in bringing down jump balls. He just won't be a blocking TE.

So... a strictly-pass-catching Tight End who has all of 30 career receptions in five seasons. Yay.

4 hours ago, TheKillerNacho said:

So... a strictly-pass-catching Tight End who has all of 30 career receptions in five seasons. Yay.

Bodies are bodies and young options are limited. Escobar, Gray, Derby, Duarte.. I doubt more than two of those names are on the final 53. Gase & Co stockpiling options in case they can't grab one of their top TEs in the first few rounds.

Same reason they signed LB Terence Garvin a couple weeks ago, 3 starts with Seattle last year, dirt cheap and reasonably young. Draft day insurance. Imagine Minkah falls to Miami and then they take a TE in the 2nd round. Now the earliest they could grab a LB is in the 3rd. That's when it's good to at least have guys like Garvin and Stephone Anthony on the roster.

Archived