Montana on Brady's longevity

sportjames23

3 minutes ago, tom cody said:

Brady and Montana are 1-2 QB's all time IMO. As to what Montana is saying I agree. Seems to be more protecting of QB's these days than there was when Montana was playing. 

There's more protection on QBs today when even compared with ten years ago, much less during Montana's era. Defenders today frequently have to let up as they near the QB, and in Montana's era, glancing blows on the QB did not result in 15 yard penalties. Also, the ball is getting out of today's QBs faster, which makes a tremendous difference. In Montana's era, there was also more contact allowed by defenders prior to the pass, and after as well. A player like Ronnie Lott would have to drastically change his approach until today's rules. I don't think there's any bitterness on Montana's part, just the realization of how much easier it is to pass today, and the greats of the past know it.

'

2 hours ago, TheVillain112 said:

I watched some clips of Montana last season.  And he's not wrong.  The hits those QBs took were unbelievable.  It's one thing to say things have changed in 25-30 years, it's another thing to actually see the hits these QBs constantly took during games.  I agree 100% that Brady wouldn't be able to play as long as he has in Montana's time.  That's not a knock on Brady, him being able to do it in today's NFL is quite a feat itself...

Yea, QBs weren't protected like they are today.

2 hours ago, Marc MacGyver said:

Joe was always a little on the small side, tbf. I don't think he'd play any longer even if he played today. 

I think if he played today he could have played longer than he did because QBs today don't endure the kind of hits he did back then.

2 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

Actually, I would argue that there were more concussion occurrences back then.  Players didn't have the same protection that they have now with things like the concussion protocol, rules, better gear, medical advancements, etc, etc.    

Not to mention the unknown amount of concussed players who were still on the field while taking shots. Back then, the decision to keep a player on the field or not was more in the hands of the individual - usually with a simple look in his eyes and an "are you okay?".

So while it might be true that players are faster and stronger(although not by much) it's being done with better technology and an better overall acknowledgement and understanding of concussions in general. 

To be fair, the concussion protocol is a very recent thing and Brady never was in a concussion protocol... it's hard to believe he never had a concussion in his career (as his injury history suggests).  

Montana is right.  Brady would have a shorter career.  He wouldn't have known about nutrition and that ACL tear could have been a career ender if it happened in the 80s.  But Brady has played with some really tough injuries.  For example, he played with 3 cracked ribs and a broken finger on his throwing hand in 2010 yet he never missed any time other than the ACL injury and suspension.  If he played in the same time frame as Montana, I would say Brady would have less games, but still within the realm of Elway or Marino in games played.  

He’s not wrong. QBs in his era got blasted late, high, and with moves that aren’t allowed nowadays because they injured guys so often. It was also an era where an Achilles or knee injury would essentially end your playing career - the recovery/medical knowledge just wasn’t as good. 

Nobody can really argue against his point. 

15 hours ago, Pugger said:

I think if he played today he could have played longer than he did because QBs today don't endure the kind of hits he did back then.

Maybe. It's tough to tell. There's certainly a lot less helmet to helmet stuff, & the QBs legs are protected now. But, at the same time, the athletes have become significantly stronger & faster. 

Peyton who is considerably larger, only lasted two seasons longer than Montana. And, tbh - he was somewhat of a passenger his final season in Denver. 

16 seasons isn't bad for a guy Montana's size. Cam Newton will need to play 8 more seasons to match it, & even though he has the body of a TE, the hits he takes makes me think he likely won't reach that milestone.   

There is a deep story about the arrival of a new owner in the Bay area in 1979, new HC Bill Walsh and new QB Joe Montana.

The 49ers as a team had floundered for a decade after John Brodie retired. The two widows of the founding owners, the Morabito brothers, were trying to sell. Al Davis played a role.

The Bay area had been buffeted by a decade of acrimonious politics and several tragedies.

The arrival of DeBartolo, Walsh and the Joe Montana dynasty, basically saved the Bay area.

Although not so dramatic, Kraft hiring Belichick, who in turn found Brady,  saved the Pats from becoming the St Louis Minutemen. 

Eh there a good handful of guys from Montana's era that played long careers as well like Elway, Moon, Marino, and Fouts. Brady (and everyone else with him and after him) get a greater benefit of medical knowledge and medical treatments.

18 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

He’s not wrong. QBs in his era got blasted late, high, and with moves that aren’t allowed nowadays because they injured guys so often. It was also an era where an Achilles or knee injury would essentially end your playing career - the recovery/medical knowledge just wasn’t as good. 

Nobody can really argue against his point. 

The 1985 Bears and the 1986 NY Giants were merciless on opposing QBs. Always thought it was a bit crazy to let defenses tee off on QBs, damaging the product on the field.

10 hours ago, TheVillain112 said:

All you have to do is youtube videos of Lawerence Taylor.  This violent tackle at the end isn't out of the norm, they pretty much pile drived QBs into the ground every chance they could.  You think Brady or anyone is going to last 19 seasons of this?

I still remember what happened to Joe Theisman after LT tackled him!!  :(

Archived